Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Disobedience

I'm scheduled for a device check tomorrow, where they interrogate my
ICD (implanted cardiac defibrilllator) by radio for event history over
the past 3 months.

Tonight I did some MIG welding, strictly prohibited or at least
strongly discouraged, but I know I can get away with it so I do it
whenever I bloody well feel like doing it.

Got good welds, really nice. Maybe pix later,or not. Not done yet.
Be interesting to see if that activity shows up on tomorrow's scan.
They sure know if and when I'm doing my 3 miles every day. Some days
are a grunt, others are easier. Gettin' old is not for pussies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 4, 1:23*am, Don Foreman wrote:
I'm scheduled for a device check tomorrow, where they interrogate my
ICD (implanted cardiac defibrilllator) by radio for event history over
the past 3 months. *

Tonight I did some MIG welding, strictly prohibited or at least
strongly discouraged, but I know I can get away with it so I do it
whenever I bloody well feel like doing it.

Got good welds, really nice. *Maybe pix later,or not. Not done yet.
Be interesting to see if that activity shows up on tomorrow's scan.
They sure know if and when I'm doing my 3 miles every day. Some days
are a grunt, others are easier. *Gettin' old is not for pussies.

I recently set up my TIG machine in my new house and used it to tack
on some adjustment nuts on a trestle-type table for outfeed on my
table saw. It's from parts from an old treadmill stand.

What were you making/fixing?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
I'm scheduled for a device check tomorrow, where they interrogate my
ICD (implanted cardiac defibrilllator) by radio for event history over
the past 3 months.

Tonight I did some MIG welding, strictly prohibited or at least
strongly discouraged, but I know I can get away with it so I do it
whenever I bloody well feel like doing it.

Got good welds, really nice. Maybe pix later,or not. Not done yet.
Be interesting to see if that activity shows up on tomorrow's scan.
They sure know if and when I'm doing my 3 miles every day. Some days
are a grunt, others are easier. Gettin' old is not for pussies.

Please do write back on the results. I am interested, and will put them in
my blog. I am going to vote that they don't affect your device, or you'd be
laying on the floor doing a clam imitation.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 07:45:40 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
I'm scheduled for a device check tomorrow, where they interrogate my
ICD (implanted cardiac defibrilllator) by radio for event history over
the past 3 months.

Tonight I did some MIG welding, strictly prohibited or at least
strongly discouraged, but I know I can get away with it so I do it
whenever I bloody well feel like doing it.

Got good welds, really nice. Maybe pix later,or not. Not done yet.
Be interesting to see if that activity shows up on tomorrow's scan.
They sure know if and when I'm doing my 3 miles every day. Some days
are a grunt, others are easier. Gettin' old is not for pussies.

Please do write back on the results. I am interested, and will put them in
my blog. I am going to vote that they don't affect your device, or you'd be
laying on the floor doing a clam imitation.

Steve

The radio scan of my ICD showed no notable events. It said that the
pacemaker function had operated less than 1% of the time, and I was
told that they do differentiate between zero and less than 1%. So it
looks like the device is occasionally doing something useful.

I finished up my little MIG welding project this evening. It's a very
piddly project but I made something I can't buy at Home Depot and
that's exactly why I wanted to be able to continue welding if I could
after ICD implant. After welding, it was in the zinc-plating bucket
for an hour so I don't think it'll rust out this lifetime.

It's too trivial to post photos of. It's a cross-bracket that will
perch on the end of a 2x4 to support a ridgepole 2x4 to tarp my boat
since the ****s, twits and pricks at city hall this summer outlawed
the approach I've used for 15 years. They said that approach violated
code, couldn't support snowload and wouldn't resist wind. The ****s,
twits and pricks have absolutely no engineering training, they're
bureaucrats. My ogive-profile shelter made of conduit covered with
tarp never accumulated snow load because it was designed not to, and
it shrugged off the storm of Oct 2005 that ripped roofs, had our power
out for a week and had chainsaws running for weeks to deal with the
damage from that storm.

I did show up for a meeting at city hall that addressed another guy's
concern about a similar construct. It was obvious that the ****s in
power were smugly ignoring.

I didn't want to make a major stink about it because my good neighbor
next door has a similar (less visible) tarp-covered shelter for his
various toys. None of my neighbors objected to my tarp structure (I
checked) but that was regarded as irrelevant to the ****s at city
hall. They don't like tarps, screw me and my neighbors if we can't
take a joke.

I don't want to get the clipboard clits focussed on him, we're
neighbors and friends. I'll find a way to shelter my boat, and he'd
gladly spend a weekend day helping me do that if I asked. I won't
need help but I know he's there when I need a hand. I am an old guy,
do need a hand now and then. I teach in return, and Mary enjoys
looking after young Wesly, almost a surrogate grandchild, now and
then. I also like Wes, and he clearly and enthusiastically likes us.
What I'm doing now is to contrive a tarp snow-shed for my boat that
looks more like part of the trailer than a structure. It'll be less
robust against storm than my previous design, but it'll work; it'll
resemble what I did with a previous boat for many years.

This fall I shall vote against every incumbant in local election,
regardless of party affiliation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
snip.

This fall I shall vote against every incumbant in local election,
regardless of party affiliation.

How lovely to have a bunch of morons setting policy for the citizens! We
have one such moron here where we live. I've danced with him over a few
issues in regards to the house I'm building. I don't like him, and he
knows it.

Give 'em hell, Don.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's good. You don't notice it but it's helping keep your heart on.

I finished up my little MIG welding project this evening. It's a very
piddly project but I made something I can't buy at Home Depot and
that's exactly why I wanted to be able to continue welding if I could
after ICD implant. After welding, it was in the zinc-plating bucket
for an hour so I don't think it'll rust out this lifetime.

It's too trivial to post photos of. It's a cross-bracket that will
perch on the end of a 2x4 to support a ridgepole 2x4 to tarp my boat
since the ****s, twits and pricks at city hall this summer outlawed

I had some fun with the Vista, CA city hall folks. A well-known-
to-the-city-heads contractor bought the top of the hill I lived on. He
wanted me to GIVE him a 3-12' strip of land to him for the road. I
countered "Fine, but I'd like you to install the sidewalk and curbs,
and hook me up to the sewer when it goes through." He didn't want to
spend any more money so he ended up hooking to sewer on the other side
of the hill, which cost him at least as much as what I'd asked for.
When I didn't just give the contractor the land, he soiled my with the
****ty heads. When I went to sell my house, the classification was
reviewed. It went from density 5 to density 3 (gotta have driveways
and parking lot). And sewer went up from $50/foot to $100/ft, making
it $43,000 for my lot alone. Everything else was on sewer, with the
condos below me overfilling theirs already.

During the building of the apartments above me, they "accidentally"
allowed a water diversion sandbag to move. It flooded my back yard
with muddy water. I had two inches of mud on my back patio, all the
way to the house. The contractor came and cleaned up the mess, but
the damage was done. When I went to sell the house, I found tha
damage. Enough solids from the mud had gone under the house to fill
up most of the crawlspace under about half the house. Earth touching
the subframe, $6,000 termite infestation having to be taken off the
price of the house, which was down to just 64% of what the realtor
promised after the ****ty officials had had their way with me.

I hope cullers don't miss those types in the purge, don't you?

I don't want to get the clipboard clits focussed on him, we're
neighbors and friends.

I'll find a way to shelter my boat, and he'd
gladly spend a weekend day helping me do that if I asked.

Some nice orange and green corrugated fiberglass roofing, alternating
colors, would sure make them wish you'd put your tarp back up,
wouldn't it? Clear it with your neighbors first. wink

I'd have suggested red and yellow (mex hot dog stand) but I haven't
seen those bright colors in glass recently.

http://www.fiberrxel.in/roof_sheeting.htm I guess they do exist.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote

Tale of city hall snipped:

When I was in business, a guy called me wanting a double space carport
cover. Tinkertoys with the pre-engineered stuff I sold. 103 mph wind
rating, snow rating not required in Las Vegas.

So, I went for a permit. I was told that I could not do the project unless
it was ATTACHED to the building. I explained to the very reasonable man
that the parking spaces were a bit of a ways from the house, and this was
for some old retirees to keep their car out of the sun, and that it had a
wheelchair path from the pad to the house.

He did that side to side look thing and then said, "Take a piece of flat
bar. Attach it to the house, and to the carport. Include it in the plans
as a "stabilizer. Once it's inspected, take it down."

That's what happened.

Every once in a while you do get a reasonable person down there.

A code enforcement officer also came to my house, because a neighbor had
called in. I had it parked a small travel trailer on a dirt strip along
side the house. He said that was illegal, but that there was no restriction
on parking it right in front of the house on the driveway since it was
inside the property line, and had a low fence. So, I moved it from the side
of the house where it was nearly invisible to the front of the house,
prompting the neighbor to howl to code enforcement again. He was told that
the new way was the legal way, and that he was the one who caused it to be
moved to the front of the house. He was calling in about all sorts of
things, so I had several talks with the code guy. The neighbor once was
calling in about birds crapping on the sidewalk.

My travel trailer was a Burro, an old fiberglass egg trailer that I had
bought for $200. We got a motorhome, and so I finally sold it on ebay for
$4300. Was sad to see it go, as I liked it, and I knew it aggravated the
hell out of the neighbor, but made a bay for the new 34' motorhome on
property. Nothing required from the city since it was inside the walls of
the property.

What really ****es them off is when you beat them at their own games, and
come in with something that they do not want to accept, but must.

And we pay these people to do this.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

regardless of party affiliation. * * *- Hide quoted text -

Have you looked at shrink wrapping? I don't own a boat, but it seems
to be popular among some boat owners.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 01:29:56 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
This fall I shall vote against every incumbant in local election,
regardless of party affiliation.

You and me and a bunch of other folks:
http://imgsrv.gocomics.com/dim/?fh=b...40af1340f1c13b

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:00:21 -0700, Steve B wrote:

He did that side to side look thing and then said, "Take a piece of flat
bar. Attach it to the house, and to the carport. Include it in the plans
as a "stabilizer. Once it's inspected, take it down."

That's what happened.

Every once in a while you do get a reasonable person down there.

Yeah, in Nevada, where there are sane people in da gubmint! ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:19:32 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

Have you looked at shrink wrapping? I don't own a boat, but it seems
to be popular among some boat owners.

There'd still need to be some sort of underlying support structure to
keep from having flat or concave places so snow won't accumulate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 23:18:12 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:19:32 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."

Have you looked at shrink wrapping? I don't own a boat, but it seems
to be popular among some boat owners.

There'd still need to be some sort of underlying support structure to
keep from having flat or concave places so snow won't accumulate.

Teepee?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Have you looked at shrink wrapping? I don't own a boat, but it seems
to be popular among some boat owners.

There'd still need to be some sort of underlying support structure to
keep from having flat or concave places so snow won't accumulate.

Conduit is your friend. Cheap, galvanized against the weather, and
plentiful. http://www.creativeshelters.com/ has fittings.

In snow and blow country, you might have to weld or move to stronger
pipe, though. I'm blessed to have had very little experience with
either.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Have you looked at shrink wrapping? I don't own a boat, but it seems
to be popular among some boat owners.

There'd still need to be some sort of underlying support structure to
keep from having flat or concave places so snow won't accumulate.

Conduit is your friend. Cheap, galvanized against the weather, and
plentiful. http://www.creativeshelters.com/ has fittings.

In snow and blow country, you might have to weld or move to stronger
pipe, though. I'm blessed to have had very little experience with
either.

That's what I had and used for 15 years, until the twits at city hall
decided that such a structure was in violation of the state building
code and couldn't be tolerated. I made the fittings using a MIG box.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Have you looked at shrink wrapping? I don't own a boat, but it seems
to be popular among some boat owners.

There'd still need to be some sort of underlying support structure to
keep from having flat or concave places so snow won't accumulate.

Conduit is your friend. Cheap, galvanized against the weather, and
plentiful. http://www.creativeshelters.com/ has fittings.

In snow and blow country, you might have to weld or move to stronger
pipe, though. I'm blessed to have had very little experience with
either.

That's what I had and used for 15 years, until the twits at city hall
decided that such a structure was in violation of the state building
code and couldn't be tolerated. I made the fittings using a MIG box.

Geeze, I _already_ lost sight of the original post? Well, I have an
excuse. I'm just getting over a 4-day bout with the intestinal flu.
Wish I could have sent some to the ****ty councils in question.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I know: "You fought the bug, and the bug won!"

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
I'm scheduled for a device check tomorrow, where they interrogate my
ICD (implanted cardiac defibrilllator) by radio for event history over
the past 3 months.

Tonight I did some MIG welding, strictly prohibited or at least
strongly discouraged, but I know I can get away with it so I do it
whenever I bloody well feel like doing it.

Got good welds, really nice. Maybe pix later,or not. Not done yet.
Be interesting to see if that activity shows up on tomorrow's scan.
They sure know if and when I'm doing my 3 miles every day. Some days
are a grunt, others are easier. Gettin' old is not for pussies.

As a matter of interest what reason did they give you for the welding
prohibition:

Was it:

1) Pacemaker inhibition (not really relevant if you pace less than 1% of the
time)?
2) Inappropriate discharge of the defib (you would notice!)
3) Danger of the whole defib being re-programmed?
4) None of the above?
5) All of the above?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:57:54 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

[...]

1 and 2. General guidance can't predict how often pacing might be
required. Inappropriate discharge of the defib would definitely be
noticed, described as a mule kick to the chest, and is not without
risk.

I posted on RCM about my research and lab findings re this matter
about January of 2009. I did an invited presentation to the senior
technical staff of Boston Scientific in March of 2009. That luncheon
meeting on their campus was very well attended. Let me know by email
if you'd like that powerpoint file. It's kinda big, as powerpoint
tends to be.