Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Disobedience

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:57:54 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
I'm scheduled for a device check tomorrow, where they interrogate my
ICD (implanted cardiac defibrilllator) by radio for event history over
the past 3 months.

Tonight I did some MIG welding, strictly prohibited or at least
strongly discouraged, but I know I can get away with it so I do it
whenever I bloody well feel like doing it.

Got good welds, really nice. Maybe pix later,or not. Not done yet.
Be interesting to see if that activity shows up on tomorrow's scan.
They sure know if and when I'm doing my 3 miles every day. Some days
are a grunt, others are easier. Gettin' old is not for pussies.

As a matter of interest what reason did they give you for the welding
prohibition:

Was it:

1) Pacemaker inhibition (not really relevant if you pace less than 1% of the
time)?
2) Inappropriate discharge of the defib (you would notice!)
3) Danger of the whole defib being re-programmed?
4) None of the above?
5) All of the above?

1 and 2. General guidance can't predict how often pacing might be
required. Inappropriate discharge of the defib would definitely be
noticed, described as a mule kick to the chest, and is not without
risk.

I posted on RCM about my research and lab findings re this matter
about January of 2009. I did an invited presentation to the senior
technical staff of Boston Scientific in March of 2009. That luncheon
meeting on their campus was very well attended. Let me know by email
if you'd like that powerpoint file. It's kinda big, as powerpoint
tends to be.