Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Disobedience

On Oct 5, 1:29*am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 07:45:40 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
I'm scheduled for a device check tomorrow, where they interrogate my
ICD (implanted cardiac defibrilllator) by radio for event history over
the past 3 months.

Tonight I did some MIG welding, strictly prohibited or at least
strongly discouraged, but I know I can get away with it so I do it
whenever I bloody well feel like doing it.

Got good welds, really nice. *Maybe pix later,or not. Not done yet.
Be interesting to see if that activity shows up on tomorrow's scan.
They sure know if and when I'm doing my 3 miles every day. Some days
are a grunt, others are easier. *Gettin' old is not for pussies.

Please do write back on the results. *I am interested, and will put them in
my blog. *I am going to vote that they don't affect your device, or you'd be
laying on the floor doing a clam imitation.

Steve

The radio scan of my ICD showed no notable events. *It said that the
pacemaker function had operated less than 1% of the time, and I was
told that they do differentiate between zero and less than 1%. *So it
looks like the device is occasionally doing something useful. *

I finished up my little MIG welding project this evening. It's a very
piddly project but I made something I can't buy at Home Depot and
that's exactly why I wanted to be able to continue welding if I could
after ICD implant. * After welding, it was in the zinc-plating bucket
for an hour so I don't think it'll rust out this lifetime.

It's too trivial to post photos of. *It's a cross-bracket that will
perch on the end of a 2x4 to support a ridgepole 2x4 to tarp my boat
since the ****s, twits and pricks at city hall this summer outlawed
the approach I've used for 15 years. *They said that approach violated
code, couldn't support snowload and wouldn't resist wind. *The ****s,
twits and pricks have absolutely no engineering training, they're
bureaucrats. *My ogive-profile shelter made of conduit covered with
tarp *never accumulated snow load because it was designed not to, and
it shrugged off the storm of Oct 2005 that ripped roofs, had our power
out for a week and had chainsaws running for weeks to deal with the
damage from that storm.

I did show up for a meeting at city hall that addressed another guy's
concern about a similar construct. It was obvious that the ****s in
power were smugly ignoring. *

I didn't *want to make a major stink about it because my good neighbor
next door has a similar (less visible) *tarp-covered shelter for his
various toys. *None of my neighbors objected to my tarp structure (I
checked) but that was regarded as irrelevant to the ****s at city
hall. *They don't like tarps, screw me and my neighbors if we can't
take a joke.

I don't want to get the clipboard clits focussed on him, we're
neighbors and friends. I'll find a way to shelter my boat, and he'd
gladly *spend a weekend day helping me do that if I asked. I won't
need help but I know he's there when I need a hand. I am an old guy,
do need a hand now and then. I teach in return, and Mary enjoys
looking after young Wesly, almost a surrogate grandchild, now and
then. I also like Wes, *and he clearly and enthusiastically likes us.
What I'm doing now is to contrive a tarp snow-shed for my boat that
looks more like part of the trailer than a structure. *It'll be less
robust against storm than my previous design, but it'll work; *it'll
resemble what I did with a previous boat for many years. *

This fall I shall vote against every incumbant in local election,
regardless of party affiliation. * * *- Hide quoted text -

Have you looked at shrink wrapping? I don't own a boat, but it seems
to be popular among some boat owners.