Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sorry to say, but it had to happen eventually

Robert Swinney wrote:
Steve,

Sorry for multiple posts! Maybe the 3rd one will be the charm. All I meant to say was, "airshow
de'javu"

I saw a video of that event. I had no idea any promoter was stupid
enough to allow spectators to mill around the course like that.
Reminded my of the WRC rallys in Portugal back when the super-fast cars
were running. Many spectators killed, standing inches from the cars.

Expensive mistake, and a real tragedy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 16, 5:02*pm, RBnDFW wrote:

I saw a video of that event. I had no idea any promoter was stupid
enough to allow spectators to mill around the course like that.
Reminded my of the WRC rallys in Portugal back when the super-fast cars
were running. Many spectators killed, standing inches from the cars.

Then again;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_of_the_Bulls

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 5:02 pm, RBnDFW wrote:

I saw a video of that event. I had no idea any promoter was stupid
enough to allow spectators to mill around the course like that.
Reminded my of the WRC rallys in Portugal back when the super-fast cars
were running. Many spectators killed, standing inches from the cars.

Then again;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_of_the_Bulls

jsw

Proves Darwin was right!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:02:43 -0500, RBnDFW
wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:
Steve,

Sorry for multiple posts! Maybe the 3rd one will be the charm. All I meant to say was, "airshow
de'javu"

I saw a video of that event. I had no idea any promoter was stupid
enough to allow spectators to mill around the course like that.
Reminded my of the WRC rallys in Portugal back when the super-fast cars
were running. Many spectators killed, standing inches from the cars.

Expensive mistake, and a real tragedy.

The promoter did not allow it. The rules were posted for all and said
stay at least 100 feet from the track. those people who were killed
and injured were with in 5-10 feet of the track due to their own
stupidity. The complete fault in this case lies with the spectators.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:
Steve,

Sorry for multiple posts! *Maybe the 3rd one will be the charm. *All I meant to say was, "airshow
de'javu"

I saw a video of that event. I had no idea any promoter was stupid
enough to allow spectators to mill around the course like that.
Reminded my of the WRC rallys in Portugal back when the super-fast cars
were running. Many spectators killed, standing inches from the cars.

Expensive mistake, and a real tragedy.

The promoter did not allow it. *The rules were posted for all and said
stay at least 100 feet from the track. *those people who were killed
and injured were with in 5-10 feet of the track due to their own
stupidity. *The complete fault in this case lies with the spectators.

Jim

The promoter did not PERMIT it, but he certainly ALLOWED it. The race
should have been stopped when spectators encroached on the track. I
would expect that that the propmoter will have a difficult time in
court.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:
Steve,

Sorry for multiple posts! Maybe the 3rd one will be the charm. All I
meant to say was, "airshow
de'javu"

I saw a video of that event. I had no idea any promoter was stupid
enough to allow spectators to mill around the course like that.
Reminded my of the WRC rallys in Portugal back when the super-fast cars
were running. Many spectators killed, standing inches from the cars.

Expensive mistake, and a real tragedy.

The promoter did not allow it. The rules were posted for all and said
stay at least 100 feet from the track. those people who were killed
and injured were with in 5-10 feet of the track due to their own
stupidity. The complete fault in this case lies with the spectators.

Jim

Yes, but tort law does not allow a lot for disclaimers or signs. Even
though a prudent person is expected to know that a reasonable hazard exists
within the posted danger zone, the promoter is liable unless they put up
minefields, razor wire, laser alarms, electrified sensors, and snipers to
make sure that the stupidest person in the world (who generally shows up in
droves for such events) cannot penetrate the danger zone. Or foreigners.

Verne de verdimuchki berngen. (Hey, I can't read English!)

Case after case has shown that disclaimers and such are worthless in court.

Just an experience I had in my Associate Safety Professional training.

YMMV, but some smart ass bottomfeeder aka lawyer will tear disclaimers and
signs to shreds on the first go around.

You will notice how many cases have been settled silently out of court with
no disclosure. If there were to have been many high profile suits, we would
have seen them.

Steve

free books while they last!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:38:59 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:
[...]

You are absolutely right about the legal system. I, however, was
talking about common sense, sonething that the general pupulace seems
to be severeely lacking of late. I will agree that the promoter will
have a hard time in court but then the courts rarely deal with common
sense, do they? I live in the area that this happened and I know
that without a multitude of security people and miles of barricades,
it would have been impossible to keep the idiots back. People just
don't think.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:
[...]

I must confess. At times during my life, I would have been right in the
thick of that crowd, probably in the front row.

I was where Evel Knievel splashed down at Caesar's Palace. I was standing
at the little yellow rope, and from there, it was no more than fifteen feet
to the ramp. I was standing even with the bottom of the ramp. I was about
16 at the time, and was riding motorcycles. I thought to myself, "Man, if
he goes sideways, he's coming this way, and he does not have enough room to
stop." They had hay bales up against a block retaining wall. Looking back,
I was in a precarious place, but hoo-boy, did I get a front row seat!

Steve

free books while they last

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

You are absolutely right about the legal system. I, however, was
talking about common sense, sonething that the general pupulace seems
to be severeely lacking of late. I will agree that the promoter will
have a hard time in court but then the courts rarely deal with common
sense, do they? I live in the area that this happened and I know
that without a multitude of security people and miles of barricades,
it would have been impossible to keep the idiots back. People just
don't think.

If 'common sense' was really common, it wouldn't have a name.