Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastering bit me eventually

After many years of DIY plastering including whole room jobs, I've finally
been bitten.

Just tackled about 3 simple square metres. Browning on yesterday easy peasy
as usual. Todays finish was a disaster. About 70% just wouldn't stick,
blowing off left right and centre. Late 'use by date' plaster was used
throughout.

Yes it works best when the browning is still to go off. But it isn't
insummountable and I haven't had this problem before.

I thoroughly wet the undercoat[1]. Mixed up enough for half the area and
bunged it on.

Did I overwork it too early?
Was the wall not wet enough?

[1] These days I bring the garden hose inside and use the mist option. Hand
operated sprayers are just too much hard work and RSI inducing.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:
After many years of DIY plastering including whole room jobs, I've finally
been bitten.

Just tackled about 3 simple square metres. Browning on yesterday easy peasy
as usual. Todays finish was a disaster. About 70% just wouldn't stick,
blowing off left right and centre. Late 'use by date' plaster was used
throughout.

Yes it works best when the browning is still to go off. But it isn't
insummountable and I haven't had this problem before.

I thoroughly wet the undercoat[1]. Mixed up enough for half the area and
bunged it on.

Did I overwork it too early?
Was the wall not wet enough?

[1] These days I bring the garden hose inside and use the mist option. Hand
operated sprayers are just too much hard work and RSI inducing.

I used one of those pump-up-the-air spayers used for fertiliser etc.
Works very well.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"VisionSet" wrote in message

Todays finish was a disaster. About 70% just wouldn't stick,
blowing off left right and centre.

I thoroughly wet the undercoat[1].
Was the wall not wet enough?

[1] These days I bring the garden hose inside and use the mist option.

Hand
operated sprayers are just too much hard work and RSI inducing.

I think it was too wet, resulting in the 'popping' condition.
Does this make sense?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:
"VisionSet" wrote in message

Todays finish was a disaster. About 70% just wouldn't stick,
blowing off left right and centre.

I thoroughly wet the undercoat[1].
Was the wall not wet enough?

[1] These days I bring the garden hose inside and use the mist
option. Hand operated sprayers are just too much hard work and RSI
inducing.

I think it was too wet, resulting in the 'popping' condition.
Does this make sense?

Learn to plaster.

The purpose of *slighty* dampning the plaster is basically to keep the
trowel oiled.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"VisionSet" wrote in message

"VisionSet" wrote in message

Todays finish was a disaster. About 70% just wouldn't stick,
blowing off left right and centre.

I needed to PVA it first, now I'm back to happy plastering.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:
"VisionSet" wrote in message

"VisionSet" wrote in message

Todays finish was a disaster. About 70% just wouldn't stick,
blowing off left right and centre.

I needed to PVA it first, now I'm back to happy plastering.

or skim it in the same day as bonding/browning is applied....this 'blowing
off' is actually the backing ( bonding/browning ) sucking the moisture out
of the skimming where it meets, the outer surface (facing the room interior)
of the skimming is still wet and so it peels away....another alternative is
to drench the wall beforehand, but even this is not always enough and it
becomes apparent when final trowelling and bubbles appear to spring out at
random.
PVA will cure most of this, but not all.

plastering and artexing training school (PATS) [email protected] UK diy 1 December 3rd 05 09:22 AM
Drywalling?! Painting & Plastering!?? Jacob Moore Home Repair 2 May 6th 05 11:00 PM
lime plastering - expected costs vs gypsum Stephen Fasham UK diy 42 May 22nd 04 03:59 PM
Old plastering and fireplaces Richard Owen UK diy 1 October 30th 03 12:42 PM
plastering JOE UK diy 2 September 19th 03 12:25 PM