Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do all skylights eventually leak?

A 20 year old house I looked at over the weekend has 3 large
skylights. The original owner says that none has ever leaked. I've
always been under the impression that all skylights eventually leak to
one degree or another. Is it realistic to think that some have not
over a 20 year period?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:28*pm, Van Chocstraw
A 20 year old house I looked at over the weekend has 3 large
skylights. *The original owner says that none has ever leaked. *I've
always been under the impression that all skylights eventually leak to
one degree or another. *Is it realistic to think that some have not
over a 20 year period?

Sure, if they were Velux and installed correctly it's entirely
possible that skylights could be leak free for 20 years. On the other
hand, if you use crap skylights and install them incorrectly, they
could be leaking from day one.

Which is different from the question "Do all skylights eventually
leak?" The answer to that is yes, like everything else their life
is not infinite. At 20 years, they are a lot closer to the end of
their life than the beginning. When you need new ones, I'd go with
Velux.

Roofs eventually leak.

--
* * * * Van Chocstraw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 6:58*pm, wrote:
[...]

My velux are 25 years old and have never leaked .

skylights? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 4 April 19th 08 09:57 PM
Skylights? phaeton Home Repair 14 November 23rd 05 05:14 PM
skylights mike hide Woodworking 3 September 11th 05 01:22 AM
Tap Connectors Fibre Washers always leak eventually? tinklemagoo UK diy 14 September 6th 05 11:40 AM
Sun-Tek tubular skylights Tom Smith Home Ownership 4 August 1st 03 08:10 AM