Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default skylights?

At first i thought it a good idea to get lots of skylights pointing south
but on further investigation some say that they can get too hot in summer
and some say its best to have them in the north facing roof.

What experience do the panel have of skylights?

--

[george]

~

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "George (dicegeorge)"
writes
At first i thought it a good idea to get lots of skylights pointing south
but on further investigation some say that they can get too hot in summer
and some say its best to have them in the north facing roof.

If you see a factory with a "sawtooth" roof, you will always see the
glass panels facing north - in fact that's what they are called - "North
lights"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr, 20:06, geoff wrote:
In message , "George (dicegeorge)"
writesAt first i thought it a good idea to get lots of skylights pointing south
but on further investigation some say that they can get too hot in summer
and some say its best to have them in the north facing roof.

If you see a factory with a "sawtooth" roof, you will always see the
glass panels facing north - in fact that's what they are called - "North
lights"

--
geoff

In my south-ish facing kitchen roof, I'm putting in solartube instead
of skylights to
avoid overheating in the summer.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
At first i thought it a good idea to get lots of skylights pointing south
but on further investigation some say that they can get too hot in summer
and some say its best to have them in the north facing roof.

What experience do the panel have of skylights?

A couple of years ago we converted the loft on our old house.

We put in two big south facing Velux windows and a fire escape velux.
We found that blinds were important in the summer! Plus, we could
open them to dump heat when it was very hot. Convection works!

Guy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ive read that the blinds should be on the outside of the windows
because once the heat radiation is through the glass
it wont bounce back out...
but wont external blinds blow away in storms?

and are any of the expensive special glass treatments worth it?
triple glazing with some UV plastic film?

xxxxxxxx

What experience do the panel have of skylights?

A couple of years ago we converted the loft on our old house.

We put in two big south facing Velux windows and a fire escape velux.
We found that blinds were important in the summer! Plus, we could
open them to dump heat when it was very hot. Convection works!

Guy

Replacing Skylights Rickster Home Repair 1 October 7th 06 11:17 PM
Skylights? phaeton Home Repair 14 November 23rd 05 05:14 PM
skylights mike hide Woodworking 3 September 11th 05 01:22 AM
Shades For Skylights ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 May 31st 05 10:05 PM
Condensation on skylights Mike Hartigan Home Repair 17 January 17th 05 01:39 PM