Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] woodenhead@shaw.ca is offline

Default Do all skylights eventually leak?

On Feb 23, 6:58*pm, wrote:
On Feb 23, 7:28*pm, Van Chocstraw

A 20 year old house I looked at over the weekend has 3 large
skylights. *The original owner says that none has ever leaked. *I've
always been under the impression that all skylights eventually leak to
one degree or another. *Is it realistic to think that some have not
over a 20 year period?

Sure, if they were Velux and installed correctly it's entirely
possible that skylights could be leak free for 20 years. *On the other
hand, if you use crap skylights and install them incorrectly, they
could be leaking from day one.

Which is different from the question "Do all skylights eventually
leak?" * *The answer to that is yes, like everything else their life
is not infinite. *At 20 years, they are a lot closer to the end of
their life than the beginning. * *When you need new ones, I'd go with
Velux.

Roofs eventually leak.

--
* * * * Van Chocstraw

My velux are 25 years old and have never leaked .