Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flat parts machined on all sides?

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

I obviously cannot do it in one "start and forget" application, as at
some point the part would need to be clamped from top or something, to
avoid burs or unmachined edges.

Someone must have already invented a good scheme for doing so, any
ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28874 wrote:
This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

I obviously cannot do it in one "start and forget" application, as at
some point the part would need to be clamped from top or something, to
avoid burs or unmachined edges.

Someone must have already invented a good scheme for doing so, any
ideas?

Maybe have a look here http://www.miteebite.com/ at some of the T slot
products . Can't give a direct URL as the site doesn't do that
annoyingly. Maybe the Advant-edge clamp system.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28874 wrote:

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

I obviously cannot do it in one "start and forget" application, as at
some point the part would need to be clamped from top or something, to
avoid burs or unmachined edges.

Someone must have already invented a good scheme for doing so, any
ideas?

You would use the components from your holdown kit, T nuts, studs, clamp
bars, step blocks and flange nuts to clamp the part to the mill table.
You would write your code to perform the cuts that clear the clamps and
then stop. Then you install more clamps in the locations already milled,
and once those are secure, you remove the original clamps and then start
the remainder of the cycle to finish the machining.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus28874 wrote:
This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

I obviously cannot do it in one "start and forget" application, as at
some point the part would need to be clamped from top or something, to
avoid burs or unmachined edges.

Someone must have already invented a good scheme for doing so, any
ideas?

Maybe have a look here http://www.miteebite.com/ at some of the T slot
products . Can't give a direct URL as the site doesn't do that
annoyingly. Maybe the Advant-edge clamp system.

Now that I thought some more about it, it is not as difficult. All I
need it to stop the program, and use a Vise-Grip to clamp the part
down to the backing, and then continue to cut it off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Ignoramus28874 wrote:

[...]

Or this one if you're ok with an unknown import set cheaper than dirt
($29 web price):

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

I got my set from MSC some time ago on sale for $69 or so which ended up
being a TeCo set and is very nice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus28874 wrote:
This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

I obviously cannot do it in one "start and forget" application, as at
some point the part would need to be clamped from top or something, to
avoid burs or unmachined edges.

Someone must have already invented a good scheme for doing so, any
ideas?

Maybe have a look here http://www.miteebite.com/ at some of the T slot
products . Can't give a direct URL as the site doesn't do that
annoyingly. Maybe the Advant-edge clamp system.

Now that I thought some more about it, it is not as difficult. All I
need it to stop the program, and use a Vise-Grip to clamp the part
down to the backing, and then continue to cut it off.

Vice-Grips are not intended as machining clamps. Try the clamp bars in
the holdown kit, they are intended for the use and will give you high
clamping pressures when used properly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus28874 wrote:
[...]

BTW, have you been reading the Machining Fundamentals book? It explains
various work holding scenarios including the clamp bars.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/16/2010 7:15 AM, Ignoramus28874 wrote:

Someone must have already invented a good scheme for doing so, any
ideas?

Really hard to offer specific advice from a vague part description. But
if the part has two parallel sides and is not too thin with respect to
it's XY dimensions, consider using thicker material and machining 5
sides. Flip over, clamping on the now machined sides, and face to
thickness.
I've always tried to use the absolute minimum amount of material
possible, but some one-off parts I'm doing right now, I decided to use
this approach as to do otherwise would require multiple setups.

If you factor the additional cost for thicker material vs the extra
labor for stopping, moving or adding/removing clamps, it can be quite a
savings. If I hadn't already faced all the parts to thickness, I'd take
a picture to show this clearly. It is btw, how a lot of production
machining is done. Hmm, but I did still have the last profile in CAD, I
just did a solids extrusion and output a GIF file. I'll email it direct.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hmm, but I don't seem to have your email. Ping me off list, my email is
valid.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Pete C. wrote:

On 2010-08-16, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus28874 wrote:
[...]

I have been reading it, but not about clamps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:22:40 -0400, fleetwood
wrote:

Magnetic chuck ?

Good quality double stick tape is often used for thin work.

Use a heat gun to get it to release.

wrote:

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

I obviously cannot do it in one "start and forget" application, as at
some point the part would need to be clamped from top or something, to
avoid burs or unmachined edges.

Someone must have already invented a good scheme for doing so, any
ideas?

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vice-Grips are not intended as machining clamps. Try the clamp bars in
the holdown kit, they are intended for the use and will give you high
clamping pressures when used properly.

BTW, have you been reading the Machining Fundamentals book? It explains
various work holding scenarios including the clamp bars.

I have been reading it, but not about clamps.

The majority of parts you make will have workholding issues. This is
probably the number one thing that separates a good CAM programmer
from a terrible one. You have to know how to make a part before you
automate it.

I'm big on optional stop in my program for clamp moves. Often a clamp
can be moved while the machine runs. If you got it moved before it
gets there, flip optional stop off and machine keeps going. if you
didn't finish, machine stops and waits for you.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
Maybe have a look here http://www.miteebite.com/ at some of the T slot
products ....

Here is an easily made side clamp (scroll down to "T - Slot Fixture
Clamps"):

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/may04/may04.html

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Karl Townsend wrote:

Vice-Grips are not intended as machining clamps. Try the clamp bars in
the holdown kit, they are intended for the use and will give you high
clamping pressures when used properly.

BTW, have you been reading the Machining Fundamentals book? It explains
various work holding scenarios including the clamp bars.

I have been reading it, but not about clamps.

The majority of parts you make will have workholding issues. This is
probably the number one thing that separates a good CAM programmer
from a terrible one. You have to know how to make a part before you
automate it.

I'm big on optional stop in my program for clamp moves. Often a clamp
can be moved while the machine runs. If you got it moved before it
gets there, flip optional stop off and machine keeps going. if you
didn't finish, machine stops and waits for you.

I programmed this so that it is easy to reclamp this part. I will see
how it goes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/16/2010 12:07 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Vice-Grips are not intended as machining clamps. Try the clamp bars in
the holdown kit, they are intended for the use and will give you high
clamping pressures when used properly.

BTW, have you been reading the Machining Fundamentals book? It explains
various work holding scenarios including the clamp bars.

I have been reading it, but not about clamps.

The majority of parts you make will have workholding issues. This is
probably the number one thing that separates a good CAM programmer
from a terrible one. You have to know how to make a part before you
automate it.

I'm big on optional stop in my program for clamp moves. Often a clamp
can be moved while the machine runs. If you got it moved before it
gets there, flip optional stop off and machine keeps going. if you
didn't finish, machine stops and waits for you.

Does anyone make NC clamps to automate that operation?

I really wish I were being flippant here, but I have this horrible
suspicion that it's been done, and commercialized.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:40:42 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

Bob Swinney
m...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

"Bounching?"

I think one would still get that opportunity even if one already knew
manual machining techniques when one started in on CNC.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:02:39 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Air clamps operated by the control and an M code, along with magnetic
chucks and form chucks are all commonly used in manufacturing.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

"Bounching?"

Whoops...I always do that..add an "H" after c..for some reason. Sigh...

I think one would still get that opportunity even if one already knew
manual machining techniques when one started in on CNC.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hydraulic clamps are very common, both on heavier work where more
clamping force is required, as well as on compact work where there isn't
enough room for an air cylinder with sufficient force. Air over
hydraulic intensifiers are often used to allow a pneumatic supply to
operate a hydraulic clamp.

The commercial CNC controls pretty much all have some general purpose
output signals available controlled by M functions to control clamping,
signal indexers, palette changers, robots, etc. Really very easy stuff
to do, and just as easy to do on home machines if you have a run of
parts big enough to justify the fixturing.

If you search on McMaster for "clamping cylinder" you should find
pneumatic and hydraulic cylinders intended for work clamping use. Even
some tiny hydraulic clamp cylinders that have threaded bodies to install
like a bolt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Pete C. wrote:

On 2010-08-16, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus28874 wrote:
[...]

It's in there, perhaps not in as much detail as the actual cutting
operations. Chapter 18 shows clamps in use, fig 18-38, 18-49, 18-50,
and 18-61 all show clamp bars in use. The tapered end of the bar rests
on the part, the serrated back end of the clamp bar rests on the
serrated slope of a step block half to support the end of the bar so it
is level with the work, and a stud is used close to the part to pull the
clamp bar down and hold the part. If you have the workholding kit and
play with the parts it will make sense.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus28874 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:15:22 -0500:

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

If its really flat, you can use a vacuum fixture, and machine 5 sides,
and if you know the trick, even drill holes through.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

I already broke 2 endmills in about 3 weeks of machining with this
CNC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-17, dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus28874 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:15:22 -0500:

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

If its really flat, you can use a vacuum fixture, and machine 5 sides,
and if you know the trick, even drill holes through.

These two should work well for what I want.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

I already broke 2 endmills in about 3 weeks of machining with this
CNC.

That's where studying the speeds and feeds section of the book will
help. That and testing your code on wax where you can get away with some
errors without breaking endmills.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

I already broke 2 endmills in about 3 weeks of machining with this
CNC.

That's where studying the speeds and feeds section of the book will
help. That and testing your code on wax where you can get away with some
errors without breaking endmills.

In one case, it was a feed and speed problem. In the other, I moved
the table with the endmill inside the hole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-17, dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus28874 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:15:22 -0500:

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

If its really flat, you can use a vacuum fixture, and machine 5 sides,
and if you know the trick, even drill holes through.

These two should work well for what I want.

shaking head

Here, look at this: http://www.sherline.com/3013inst.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

I already broke 2 endmills in about 3 weeks of machining with this
CNC.

That's where studying the speeds and feeds section of the book will
help. That and testing your code on wax where you can get away with some
errors without breaking endmills.

In one case, it was a feed and speed problem. In the other, I moved
the table with the endmill inside the hole.

Think "Safe Z height" and always end your code with a Z move up to safe
clearance height...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

I already broke 2 endmills in about 3 weeks of machining with this
CNC.

That's where studying the speeds and feeds section of the book will
help. That and testing your code on wax where you can get away with some
errors without breaking endmills.

In one case, it was a feed and speed problem. In the other, I moved
the table with the endmill inside the hole.

Think "Safe Z height" and always end your code with a Z move up to safe
clearance height...

yep,
G53 Z0
M151
M2

M151 sends me email about job completion.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:17:02 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2010-08-17, dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus28874 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:15:22 -0500:

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

If its really flat, you can use a vacuum fixture, and machine 5 sides,
and if you know the trick, even drill holes through.

These two should work well for what I want.

shaking head

Here, look at this: http://www.sherline.com/3013inst.htm

If Iggy needs some of Petes Most Excellent hints..I have a few extras I
can send him. Least I have plenty of the steps....

Iggy really needs to learn a bit more...doesnt he?

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

I already broke 2 endmills in about 3 weeks of machining with this
CNC.

Then you are doing quite well. 2 a session will come along as you get
fancier and fancier.....

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-17, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 8/16/2010 6:05 PM, Ignoramus28874 wrote:

I already broke 2 endmills in about 3 weeks of machining with this
CNC.

Doing better than I did my first 3 weeks of self taught CNC programming...

I am laying in bed right now, watching my milling machine engrave
something through the netcam. 0.01" depth in brass plate, done with
1/8" ball end mill. It is just about done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:38:00 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Vice-Grips are not intended as machining clamps. Try the clamp bars
in the holdown kit, they are intended for the use and will give you
high clamping pressures when used properly.

The majority of parts you make will have workholding issues. This is
probably the number one thing that separates a good CAM programmer from
a terrible one. You have to know how to make a part before you automate
it.

I'm big on optional stop in my program for clamp moves. Often a clamp
can be moved while the machine runs. If you got it moved before it gets
there, flip optional stop off and machine keeps going. if you didn't
finish, machine stops and waits for you.

Does anyone make NC clamps to automate that operation?

I really wish I were being flippant here, but I have this horrible
suspicion that it's been done, and commercialized.

Some palletized parts loaders (IIRC Haas Quickcube) can present
parts at all angles. On dual pallet systems a person can be
changing part positions on one pallet while the system works with
parts on another pallet. I saw several pallet systems (sort of
like at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG3L2uHqdE0) in use when
I toured a small-town factory making high-lift booms (like in
picture at http://www.terexutilities.com/) for Terex.

OT - In following video, part transfer is manual - a person
keeps walking around in a circle of 7-8 machines transferring
motor parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUPji7L9aSs&NR=1

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:10:03 -0700
wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

"Bounching?"

"Bounching" the sound made by a loose item in an enclosed CNC
mill, usually after a flat piece has come loose, or the tooling has
broken. An onomatopoeia word as well as a Portmanteau (QV Lewis
Carrol;, Humpty Dumpty) compacts "bounce" and "Ching" which is the
sound of money leaving your wallet.

I think one would still get that opportunity even if one already knew
manual machining techniques when one started in on CNC.

Ah, but with a CNC machine, you get to bonch parts of a higher
precision and tolerances (as well as expense) at a rate far exceeding
those possible with manual machining centers. Why, it is possible in
a matter of minutes to scrap out more parts than a manual machinist
could ruin with an entire morning's effort. Automation, my friend,
the wave of the future. Once we get it figured out, it will be all
down hill from there.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy,

It really seems your zeal for CNC has surpassed your level of manual craftsmanship. Why not slow
down a bit and stop trying to digitize your entire life??

What..and have him not learn what the sound of CRUNCH! SPOING!BANGRATTLE
is? Thats the sound of tooling shattering and bounching off the walls.

I already broke 2 endmills in about 3 weeks of machining with this
CNC.

So you're fuhmiller with bounching noises, I see. What diameter were
they and how did you break them? Did you learn from the noise?

--
We're all here because we're not all there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

Ah, but with a CNC machine, you get to bonch parts of a higher
precision and tolerances (as well as expense) at a rate far exceeding
those possible with manual machining centers.

Especially given that a human will invariable and instinctively back off
as soon as things start making grunching noises, whereas a CNC will
happily continue feeding at the programmed rate until something stalls
or breaks...

Jon

Well, the "real" controls do monitor axis servo load limits and the like
and will trip e-stop on those limits, but on those big machines they can
do a lot of damage without nearing their limits. I've seen clamp bars
and vises with big slots milled through them when someone goofed. To the
machine it was just a normal cut with normal loads.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:28:41 -0500, Ignoramus28874

wrote:

[...]

Bloody Luddite.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.