Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Flat parts machined on all sides?

"Pete C." wrote:

Ignoramus28874 wrote:

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

I obviously cannot do it in one "start and forget" application, as at
some point the part would need to be clamped from top or something, to
avoid burs or unmachined edges.

Someone must have already invented a good scheme for doing so, any
ideas?

You would use the components from your holdown kit, T nuts, studs, clamp
bars, step blocks and flange nuts to clamp the part to the mill table.
You would write your code to perform the cuts that clear the clamps and
then stop. Then you install more clamps in the locations already milled,
and once those are secure, you remove the original clamps and then start
the remainder of the cycle to finish the machining.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Or this one if you're ok with an unknown import set cheaper than dirt
($29 web price):

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

I got my set from MSC some time ago on sale for $69 or so which ended up
being a TeCo set and is very nice.