Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pipe insulation...

Awl --

You know the insulation you put on plumbing pipes, either soft black squishy
stuff, or the lightweight hard white-ish/beige stuff, both split down the
side?

Is that stuff available *without* the split?
The use is not plumbing, btw, but rather cushioning, and at times under some
force, so any split along the side is very dicey.

I know it's available from mfr's, but I haven't been able to find it
retail/locally.

If I have to go to a "house" and buy quantity, iny recommendations? And
what is the generic classification of what I'm looking for?
I believe it is "open cell" and "closed cell" *foam* tubing -- correct?
Any other names for this stuff?

--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

You know the insulation you put on plumbing pipes, either soft black squishy
stuff, or the lightweight hard white-ish/beige stuff, both split down the
side?

Is that stuff available *without* the split?
The use is not plumbing, btw, but rather cushioning, and at times under some
force, so any split along the side is very dicey.

I know it's available from mfr's, but I haven't been able to find it
retail/locally.

If I have to go to a "house" and buy quantity, iny recommendations? And
what is the generic classification of what I'm looking for?
I believe it is "open cell" and "closed cell" *foam* tubing -- correct?
Any other names for this stuff?

You might try a race car supply. Some of the roll cage padding is unsplit.
And it may be more suitable for your purpose.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 8:13*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
Awl --

You know the insulation you put on plumbing pipes, either soft black squishy
stuff, or the lightweight hard white-ish/beige stuff, both split down the
side?

Is that stuff available *without* the split?
The use is not plumbing, btw, but rather cushioning, and at times under some
force, so any split along the side is very dicey.

I know it's available from mfr's, but I haven't been able to find it
retail/locally.

If I have to go to a "house" and buy quantity, iny recommendations? *And
what is the generic classification of what I'm looking for?
I believe it is "open cell" and "closed cell" **foam* tubing -- correct?
Any other names for this stuff?

--
EA

http://www.google.com/products?q=uns...=next&start=30
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:13:27 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Awl --

You know the insulation you put on plumbing pipes, either soft black squishy
stuff, or the lightweight hard white-ish/beige stuff, both split down the
side?

Is that stuff available *without* the split?
The use is not plumbing, btw, but rather cushioning, and at times under some
force, so any split along the side is very dicey.

I know it's available from mfr's, but I haven't been able to find it
retail/locally.

McMaster Carr has several selections. I use one to make foam rollers
for an apple inspection station.

Karl

If I have to go to a "house" and buy quantity, iny recommendations? And
what is the generic classification of what I'm looking for?
I believe it is "open cell" and "closed cell" *foam* tubing -- correct?
Any other names for this stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Awl --

You know the insulation you put on plumbing pipes, either soft black
squishy stuff, or the lightweight hard white-ish/beige stuff, both
split down the side?

Is that stuff available *without* the split?
The use is not plumbing, btw, but rather cushioning, and at times
under some force, so any split along the side is very dicey.

I know it's available from mfr's, but I haven't been able to find it
retail/locally.

McMaster Carr has several selections. I use one to make foam rollers
for an apple inspection station.

Karl

foam tubes used for kinds in pools, available in grocery or drug stores?

If I have to go to a "house" and buy quantity, iny recommendations?
And what is the generic classification of what I'm looking for?
I believe it is "open cell" and "closed cell" *foam* tubing --
correct? Any other names for this stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Nice!
Man, Graingers knows how to $hove it in, eh? goodgawd....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:13:27 -0400
"Existential Angst" wrote:

You know the insulation you put on plumbing pipes, either soft black squishy
stuff, or the lightweight hard white-ish/beige stuff, both split down the
side?

Is that stuff available *without* the split?

snip

You didn't mention diameter or length... but you can get stuff like
this for bicycle handle bars. Check your better bike shops. Maybe the
tape used on handle bars would work too. They have some pretty
cushy stuff available. For best results use some friction tape for the
first wrap, then wrap with the good/cushy stuff. A wrap of Friction
tape helps to keep the foam from wandering around too.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.google.com/products?q=uns...&oe=&show=dd&s...

Nice!
Man, Graingers knows how to $hove it in, eh? *goodgawd....
--
EA- Hide quoted text -

If it were my project, I think that I might try gluing up the slitted
version. I'd dampen the foam a little and use Gorilla glue. It foams
up a bit as it is curing. I've fixed some sneakers with it (much to
my wife's chagrin).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Denis G. fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:33:18 -0700 (PDT):

If it were my project, I think that I might try gluing up the slitted
version. I'd dampen the foam a little and use Gorilla glue. It foams
up a bit as it is curing. I've fixed some sneakers with it (much to
my wife's chagrin).

She probably not to thrilled with the
duct tape patch on your jacket either.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 7:10*pm, (dan) wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that Denis G. fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:33:18 -0700 (PDT):

If it were my project, I think that I might try gluing up the slitted
version. *I'd dampen the foam a little and use Gorilla glue. *It foams
up a bit as it is curing. *I've fixed some sneakers with it (much to
my wife's chagrin).

She probably not to thrilled with the
duct tape patch on your jacket either.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

LOL -- I'm not that bad. The best way to repair things are the ways
that you'd never notice. (Although they do make different colors of
duct tape.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is that stuff available *without* the split?

Yes. I've used it.

The use is not plumbing, btw, but rather cushioning, and at times under
some force, so any split along the side is very dicey.

I know it's available from mfr's, but I haven't been able to find it
retail/locally.

If I have to go to a "house" and buy quantity, iny recommendations? And
what is the generic classification of what I'm looking for?
I believe it is "open cell" and "closed cell" *foam* tubing -- correct?
Any other names for this stuff?

The best known brand name is"Armaflex" You should be able to get it from a
HVAC supply house.

It's available in a range of diameters and lengths. If its a tight fit on
the tube or shaft, tape an air hose on one end and bleed a LITTLE air into
it as you slide it on. If you get over enthusiastic with the air, you'll
split it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

Awl --

You know the insulation you put on plumbing pipes, either soft black squishy
stuff, or the lightweight hard white-ish/beige stuff, both split down the
side?

Is that stuff available *without* the split?

It is sold in various colors as pool toys. 'Dollar Tree' has it in
three foot lengths for $1.

I use some of the round blue to pad handles, and to prevent me from
banging my scarred up legs against things that would rip them open.

Pipe insulation Bald eagle UK diy 2 May 1st 10 12:41 PM
Fun With Pipe Insulation DerbyDad03 Home Repair 2 April 11th 08 10:32 PM
Water pipe insulation Mel Home Repair 3 September 18th 06 03:42 AM
steam pipe insulation john wilson Home Repair 3 April 9th 06 03:07 PM
Which pipe insulation Mr Fizzion UK diy 4 September 12th 05 10:03 AM