Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipe insulation

I'm putting some more insulation in the loft including the pipework. Over
both the cold water storage tank and the central heating expansion tank is
an expansion pipe. A previous attempt has been made to insulate the cold
water one but not the central heating one.

Do either of them actually need insulating? My understanding is that
normally there will be no flow of water there anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bald eagle" writes:
I'm putting some more insulation in the loft including the pipework. Over
both the cold water storage tank and the central heating expansion tank is
an expansion pipe. A previous attempt has been made to insulate the cold
water one but not the central heating one.

Do either of them actually need insulating? My understanding is that
normally there will be no flow of water there anyway.

They need insulating up to the level of water in the tank, and then
a bit higher to protect against conduction along the copper. They
need the thicker grade insulation to protect pipes with no flow
(as do all the pipes associated with the tanks). I would run it up
to the top of the loop, or at least 12" above the tank water level,
whichever is lower.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bald eagle" writes:
I'm putting some more insulation in the loft including the pipework. Over
both the cold water storage tank and the central heating expansion tank
is
an expansion pipe. A previous attempt has been made to insulate the cold
water one but not the central heating one.

Do either of them actually need insulating? My understanding is that
normally there will be no flow of water there anyway.

They need insulating up to the level of water in the tank, and then
a bit higher to protect against conduction along the copper. They
need the thicker grade insulation to protect pipes with no flow
(as do all the pipes associated with the tanks). I would run it up
to the top of the loop, or at least 12" above the tank water level,
whichever is lower.

--
Andrew Gabriel

That makes sense. I was confusing 'no flow' with 'empty' when I was trying
to get my head round this!

Thanks