Mr Fizzion

Default Which pipe insulation

I have found climaflex and armaflex and some thick black expensive
rubbery stuff in B&Q. Is any particular type better?

I notice that climaflex is available in 22 x 19 and 22 x 25 mm and
most places only sell 22 x 19. Is the 22 x 25mm necessary or is it
overkill?

TIA

Mr F.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:33:21 +0100, Mr Fizzion
wrote:

I have found climaflex and armaflex and some thick black expensive
rubbery stuff in B&Q. Is any particular type better?

I notice that climaflex is available in 22 x 19 and 22 x 25 mm and
most places only sell 22 x 19. Is the 22 x 25mm necessary or is it
overkill?

TIA

Mr F.

This really depends on what you want to use it for.

If it's to insulate pipes in a loft to prevent freezing, then it
probably doesn't matter a great deal.

OTOH, if it's to insulate underground heating pipes outside, then more
is better.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mr Fizzion

wrote:

I have found climaflex and armaflex and some thick black expensive
rubbery stuff in B&Q. Is any particular type better?

I notice that climaflex is available in 22 x 19 and 22 x 25 mm and
most places only sell 22 x 19. Is the 22 x 25mm necessary or is it
overkill?

This really depends on what you want to use it for.

If it's to insulate pipes in a loft to prevent freezing, then it
probably doesn't matter a great deal.

OTOH, if it's to insulate underground heating pipes outside, then more
is better.

The pipes are heating pipes under the suspended ground floor. I have
read that mice are partial to climaflex (though they probably they eat
anything that isn't stainless steel!)

Mr F.

Andy Hall

wrote:

I have found climaflex and armaflex and some thick black expensive
rubbery stuff in B&Q. Is any particular type better?

I notice that climaflex is available in 22 x 19 and 22 x 25 mm and
most places only sell 22 x 19. Is the 22 x 25mm necessary or is it
overkill?

This really depends on what you want to use it for.

If it's to insulate pipes in a loft to prevent freezing, then it
probably doesn't matter a great deal.

OTOH, if it's to insulate underground heating pipes outside, then more
is better.

The pipes are heating pipes under the suspended ground floor. I have
read that mice are partial to climaflex (though they probably they eat
anything that isn't stainless steel!)

Mr F.

OK. In the past, I've used the thicker Armaflex stuff for that,
although probably the thinner would be reasonable also.

The point here is to prevent freezing in winter and reduce heatloss
from the pipes.

It's worth shopping around for prices, though

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

I notice that climaflex is available in 22 x 19 and 22 x 25 mm and
most places only sell 22 x 19. Is the 22 x 25mm necessary or is it
overkill?

The thin stuff is cheaper, and useful in confined spaces, such as running
inside a wall. The big stuff is required if building regulations specify
insulation, or there is loads of space available, so you might as well do it
properly. I would use the big stuff unless only small will fit.

Christian.

Are push fit plumbing fittings any good? Steve UK diy 75 September 3rd 05 01:56 PM
In Deep Sh*t.... Lobster UK diy 9 August 2nd 05 09:30 PM
Leaking Soil Pipe? andrewpreece UK diy 8 July 29th 05 05:13 PM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM
Sewer line replacement jeff Home Ownership 1 August 27th 03 03:24 AM