Posted to alt.home.repair
Mel Mel is offline

Default Water pipe insulation

I have an 18" diameter X 3' stand pipe in my yard that has a pvc water pipe
coming up through it with a hose bib on the end. Because I live in a
freezing winter environment I wrapped the pvc pipe with fiber glass
insulation. I now want to fill in the space between the fiber glass wrap
and the interior of the stand pipe with an insulation material. Any
suggestions on what I could put in that space that would be a good
insulator?

Posted to alt.home.repair

18" radius you mean, I hope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mel wrote:
I have an 18" diameter X 3' stand pipe in my yard that has a pvc water pipe
coming up through it with a hose bib on the end. Because I live in a
freezing winter environment I wrapped the pvc pipe with fiber glass
insulation. I now want to fill in the space between the fiber glass wrap
and the interior of the stand pipe with an insulation material. Any
suggestions on what I could put in that space that would be a good
insulator?

How about the pressure can foam insulation? Walmart sells it here for
$3.86 Can. Which puts out a lot of foam. Its waterproof but i dont know
what the R factor is. So you might check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mel" wrote in message
I have an 18" diameter X 3' stand pipe in my yard that has a pvc water pipe
coming up through it with a hose bib on the end. Because I live in a
freezing winter environment I wrapped the pvc pipe with fiber glass
insulation. I now want to fill in the space between the fiber glass wrap
and the interior of the stand pipe with an insulation material. Any
suggestions on what I could put in that space that would be a good
insulator?

You can fill the void with any type of insulation, but that will not solve
your problem. Insulation retards the flow of heat. It does not generate
heat so the standpipe will freeze over time. There are special valves made
that shut off under ground below the frost level. That would be a better
idea.