Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Loose Cutoof Discs in DeWalt DW400 angle grinder

I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? Or do I need a different grinder?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Andrew Barss fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:21:15 +0000 (UTC):

I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? Or do I need a different grinder?

I made a custom 'washer' that goes on the shaft and has a recess to
take the 7/8" part of the nut. I made the thickness of this washer
just right so that the shaft is just flush with the nut when tight.
This keeps the cutoff wheel as far away from the gear housing to allow
better access in tight places.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 7:21*am, Andrew Barss wrote:
I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. *I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? *Or do I need a different grinder?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

This is quite common - most decent tool shops will have shims made for
just this purpose, a few cents each - take the grinder and disc in
with you, select the one you need....

Andrew VK3BFA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 5:21*pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. *I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? *Or do I need a different grinder?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

A thin piece of non-corrugated cardboard works fine for a shim washer.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:21:15 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? Or do I need a different grinder?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Easy fix. Stick in a washer with a 5/8" hole

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't
tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? Or do I need a different grinder?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Easy fix. Stick in a washer with a 5/8" hole

Gunner

Gunner Asch

To date, every one I've had held cutoff discs quite well by simply
putting on the outer retainer backward. Mine all could use a 7/8 hole
disc or a 5/8-11 one. The 7/8 retainers each had a ring that filled half
of such hole just enough to tighten solidly on a standard thickness
disc. It would tighten adequately on a 7/8 half-thickness cutoff disc
with the flat side of the outer retainer drawn up against it. You're not
using the disc flat to the work. So the boss ring on the outer retainer
being exposed doesn't matter as long as you don't set it down on
anything while the grinder's turning.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 3:21*pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. *I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? *Or do I need a different grinder?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

DeWalt sold a "diamond wheel adapter" for just this purpose. I've
used these with the "Razor Blade" cutoff disks, run about .020", grabs
them very well. On some other makes you just turn over the bottom
washer, HF does it this way on their mid-grade cheapie. They won't
grab the thinnest cutoff wheels available, but good for most.

Looks like they've dumped their whole line of angle grinders and have
all new models and accessories, was just on their web site. Closest
thing they've got is the "Type 1 wheel adapter" now. Guess I'll have
to keep that adapter under lock and key to keep it from wandering.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 26, 1:34*pm, wrote:
[...]

OK, found what I have he
http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dw470...-inch-grinders

Or, for about 2 1/2 times that price, you can get the HF number on
sale using a 20% off coupon, your call. The link has the DeWalt
catalog number, should you go searching.

Stan

Angle grinder discs Roger UK diy 15 July 10th 08 01:14 AM
Wheel is loose on angle grinder shaft mm Home Repair 14 January 13th 07 05:11 AM
dewalt angle grinder [email protected] Metalworking 0 March 12th 06 12:03 AM
Dewalt Angle Grinder stuck nut? Paul Ferguson Metalworking 5 September 14th 05 02:43 AM
Threaded flange for deWalt angle grinder Hamish Marson UK diy 2 August 9th 03 04:15 PM