Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Loose Cutoof Discs in DeWalt DW400 angle grinder

On Jul 24, 3:21*pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. *I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? *Or do I need a different grinder?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

DeWalt sold a "diamond wheel adapter" for just this purpose. I've
used these with the "Razor Blade" cutoff disks, run about .020", grabs
them very well. On some other makes you just turn over the bottom
washer, HF does it this way on their mid-grade cheapie. They won't
grab the thinnest cutoff wheels available, but good for most.

Looks like they've dumped their whole line of angle grinders and have
all new models and accessories, was just on their web site. Closest
thing they've got is the "Type 1 wheel adapter" now. Guess I'll have
to keep that adapter under lock and key to keep it from wandering.

Stan