Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default Loose Cutoof Discs in DeWalt DW400 angle grinder

What's that Lassie? You say that Andrew Barss fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:21:15 +0000 (UTC):

I have a DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinder. I tried mounting a cutoff wheel
(thinner than a regular grinding wheel) yesterday, and found I couldn't tighten the
nut enough -- because the wheel is thinner, it spins freely even when the
flange is poperly seated and the nut is fully tightened.

Is there a fix for this? Or do I need a different grinder?

I made a custom 'washer' that goes on the shaft and has a recess to
take the 7/8" part of the nut. I made the thickness of this washer
just right so that the shaft is just flush with the nut when tight.
This keeps the cutoff wheel as far away from the gear housing to allow
better access in tight places.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.