Paul Ferguson

Default Dewalt Angle Grinder stuck nut?

I have a Dewalt Angle Grinder DW 402. It has a thin cutting wheel
mounted per the instructions -- with the threaded clamp nut on the
spindle so the raised section (pilot) is not against the wheel.

I am now having trouble removing the nut. I cannot find that the
instructions mention which way the nut threads off. I think I may have
turned it the wrong way trying to remove it and over tightened it. Any
tips on freeing the nut?

PaulF
Nick Müller

Paul Ferguson wrote:

I cannot find that the instructions mention which way the nut threads off.

Reverse from threading on?
This would be CCW.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Paul Ferguson" wrote in message
I have a Dewalt Angle Grinder DW 402. It has a thin cutting wheel
mounted per the instructions -- with the threaded clamp nut on the
spindle so the raised section (pilot) is not against the wheel.

I am now having trouble removing the nut. I cannot find that the
instructions mention which way the nut threads off. I think I may have
turned it the wrong way trying to remove it and over tightened it. Any
tips on freeing the nut?

Mine has a standard right-hand thread. Mine also jams occasionally --
probably from corrosion from our very wet climate.

I hate doing this to the lock pin, but I've resorted to whacking the nut's
grooves with a punch when the cheap Chinkalloy wrench only bent.

LLoyd

Brian Lawson

Hey Paul,

I've never seen an angle grinder that didn't have regular right-hand
threads. It does sometimes help to try to turn the "disc" along with
the wrench. ie...grab both.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:02:14 GMT, Paul Ferguson
wrote:

I have a Dewalt Angle Grinder DW 402. It has a thin cutting wheel
mounted per the instructions -- with the threaded clamp nut on the
spindle so the raised section (pilot) is not against the wheel.

I am now having trouble removing the nut. I cannot find that the
instructions mention which way the nut threads off. I think I may have
turned it the wrong way trying to remove it and over tightened it. Any
tips on freeing the nut?

PaulF

Leo Lichtman

Paul Ferguson wrote: (clip) Any tips on freeing the nut?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If all else fails, break the disc out, and clear away the pieces between the
nut and the arbor. That will relieve the pressure on the threads, and,
hopefully, allow it to unscrew. And then put a little grease on the threads
before you put it together again.

Ken Sterling

I have a Dewalt Angle Grinder DW 402. It has a thin cutting wheel
mounted per the instructions -- with the threaded clamp nut on the
spindle so the raised section (pilot) is not against the wheel.

I am now having trouble removing the nut. I cannot find that the
instructions mention which way the nut threads off. I think I may have
turned it the wrong way trying to remove it and over tightened it. Any
tips on freeing the nut?

PaulF

If you are removing the disk BECAUSE IT IS GOING TO BE THROWN AWAY,
then I would simply clamp the disk in the vise and remove the nut. DO
NOT do this if you are going to reuse the disk at a later time.
Ken.

Angle Grinder FAQ section John Rumm UK diy 10 September 2nd 05 12:09 AM
Cutting Angle Iron Pete C UK diy 20 August 22nd 05 08:13 PM
Angle Grinder use bhads UK diy 3 August 7th 05 03:27 PM
FS: Veritas Grinder Tool Rest and Grinding Jig Mark Wells Woodworking 0 November 11th 04 04:41 AM
KO Lee 612 surface grinder questions Mike Henry Metalworking 5 December 24th 03 12:36 AM