Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boast (metal related)

Picked up 51 foot long 4 strand #6 flexible electrical cord at a garage sale
today. $10. (Also got a large box of sheet music for $ 3. I've been
collecting for over 5 decades)

Don't know what to do with the cord. I could cut it in half and put long
power leads on my mig & tig, or, I could buy a plug and socket and make a 51
foot extension cord for mig and tig. BTW, several years ago I changed to
plugs on my welders so they all match.

Not as good as Iggy on deals, but I'm trying.
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:55:08 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Picked up 51 foot long 4 strand #6 flexible electrical cord at a garage sale
today. $10. (Also got a large box of sheet music for $ 3. I've been
collecting for over 5 decades)

Don't know what to do with the cord. I could cut it in half and put long
power leads on my mig & tig, or, I could buy a plug and socket and make a 51
foot extension cord for mig and tig. BTW, several years ago I changed to
plugs on my welders so they all match.

Not as good as Iggy on deals, but I'm trying.
Ivan Vegvary

Id go with the 51' extension cord. They certainly do come in handy
occasionally.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is an awesome deal. The cable probably weighs 60 lbs?

I would also make an extension cord from it.

I got an 8 gauge, 70 foot cable from a welder that I resold. The
welder I bought at Illinois Railway Museum. Miller SRH-333 or
something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A heavy duty cord like that would be a great cord for a 240/120 box, since
it has the additional conductor for the neccessary neutral conductor
(U.S.A.).

Since it's a little heavy to be luggaging around, winding it up on a
handtruck would make moving it very easy. The addition of the handtruck
would make a nice remote power center, possibly a tool box and a small work
shelf, with receptacles for light and heavy duty electrical equipment
(welder, drill, grinder, lights etc).

Having the cord carried by the handtruck might minimize dragging the cord on
the ground. If the cord is wound up on a reel on the handtruck, the cord can
be payed out as you roll the cart along.

--
WB

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Picked up 51 foot long 4 strand #6 flexible electrical cord at a garage
sale today. $10. (Also got a large box of sheet music for $ 3. I've
been collecting for over 5 decades)

Don't know what to do with the cord. I could cut it in half and put long
power leads on my mig & tig, or, I could buy a plug and socket and make a
51 foot extension cord for mig and tig. BTW, several years ago I changed
to plugs on my welders so they all match.

Not as good as Iggy on deals, but I'm trying.
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/18/2010 10:55 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Don't know what to do with the cord. I could cut it in half and put long
power leads on my mig & tig, or, I could buy a plug and socket and make
a 51 foot extension cord for mig and tig.

I made a 50' extension cord for my old buzz box long ago, and it has
really come in handy over the years. I can get my MIG welder well into
the driveway and that's been very helpful as I don't have one of those
garages you can get a car into (anymore)...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Picked up 51 foot long 4 strand #6 flexible electrical cord at a garage sale
today. $10. (Also got a large box of sheet music for $ 3. I've been
collecting for over 5 decades)

Out of curiosity -- what target instrument? Piano? Accordion?
Guitar? Or much more rare -- English system concertina?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20 Jul 2010 01:03:55 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-07-19, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Picked up 51 foot long 4 strand #6 flexible electrical cord at a garage sale
today. $10. (Also got a large box of sheet music for $ 3. I've been
collecting for over 5 decades)

Out of curiosity -- what target instrument? Piano? Accordion?
Guitar? Or much more rare -- English system concertina?

Alto kazoo.

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Picked up 51 foot long 4 strand #6 flexible electrical cord at a garage
sale
today. $10. (Also got a large box of sheet music for $ 3. I've been
collecting for over 5 decades)

Out of curiosity -- what target instrument? Piano? Accordion?
Guitar? Or much more rare -- English system concertina?

Enjoy,
DoN.

DoN,
Mainly piano, although I do a little saxophone once in a while and have
fooled around with trumpet and trombone years ago. Did a little piano bar
work when I was in my late 20's - early 30's. If I include my numerous
'fake books' I probably have over 15,000 titles. My playing can be best
described as 'cocktail style' and I'm most knowledgeable about music from
the '30s and '40s.

DoN, do you play?

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[ ... ]

(Also got a large box of sheet music for $ 3. I've been
collecting for over 5 decades)

Out of curiosity -- what target instrument? Piano? Accordion?
Guitar? Or much more rare -- English system concertina?

Enjoy,
DoN.

DoN,
Mainly piano, although I do a little saxophone once in a while and have
fooled around with trumpet and trombone years ago. Did a little piano bar
work when I was in my late 20's - early 30's. If I include my numerous
'fake books' I probably have over 15,000 titles. My playing can be best
described as 'cocktail style' and I'm most knowledgeable about music from
the '30s and '40s.

DoN, do you play?

I play English system concertina, and pennywhistle (tin
whistle). Of the two, the English system concertina is more capable of
playing piano music in that it has a full chromatic scale. Though the
various Duet systems are better if you want to play the left hand part
separately. The English system alternates scale nots between hands,
making runs a lot faster, and usually all the notes to a given chord are
on a single side.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:28:54 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

A heavy duty cord like that would be a great cord for a 240/120 box, since
it has the additional conductor for the neccessary neutral conductor
(U.S.A.).

Since it's a little heavy to be luggaging around, winding it up on a
handtruck would make moving it very easy. The addition of the handtruck
would make a nice remote power center, possibly a tool box and a small work
shelf, with receptacles for light and heavy duty electrical equipment
(welder, drill, grinder, lights etc).

Having the cord carried by the handtruck might minimize dragging the cord on
the ground. If the cord is wound up on a reel on the handtruck, the cord can
be payed out as you roll the cart along.

I put my $2.00 - 150' air hose on a cheap ass hose real I got out of
garbage, put the female disconnect out the water in location and use a
short whip at the work site. I did have to make a new crank for it and
put new pluming to get the connector out the centre of the spool.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A 150' length of most anything isn't a trivial task to manage or move
around, and that length of air hose can be one of the tougher. I wrangled
air hoses for a number of years working in autobody shops, but not often
now.

It's a handy trait to be able to see another worthwhile use for something
that's been discarded.. you maximized your scrounging with a few dollars
spent.

--
WB