Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repairing/rebuilding live center....worth it?

My CNC lathe came with a seized live center in the tailstock. I
finally got it out. NSK brand. disassenmbled it and found the
"spindle" is pitted from coolant that got past the seal and just laid
in there. The front bearing, a needle roller, rides directly on the
"spindle". So I would need a new spindle and complete set of
bearings. Worth it? Can you even get parts from NSK?

#4 MT

Not sure if "spindle" is the correcxt term for this part.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:
My CNC lathe came with a seized live center in the tailstock. I
finally got it out. NSK brand. disassenmbled it and found the
"spindle" is pitted from coolant that got past the seal and just laid
in there. The front bearing, a needle roller, rides directly on the
"spindle". So I would need a new spindle and complete set of
bearings. Worth it? Can you even get parts from NSK?

NSK is just the bearing brand. See if there is a number on it.
I have never found a way to change the bearing on the few smaller ones I
have. they are pressed into a blind hole, then the point is pressed into
the bearing.
If you figure out how to get it apart, you may find the bearing
costs as much as a replacement live center.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

Randy wrote:
My CNC lathe came with a seized live center in the tailstock. I
finally got it out. NSK brand. disassenmbled it and found the
"spindle" is pitted from coolant that got past the seal and just laid
in there. The front bearing, a needle roller, rides directly on the
"spindle". So I would need a new spindle and complete set of
bearings. Worth it? Can you even get parts from NSK?

NSK is just the bearing brand. See if there is a number on it.
I have never found a way to change the bearing on the few smaller ones I
have. they are pressed into a blind hole, then the point is pressed into
the bearing.
If you figure out how to get it apart, you may find the bearing
costs as much as a replacement live center.

It all depends on the level of precision and how common it is.

I'm waiting for a THK ball screw bearing cartridge at the moment.

I managed to get the bearing part numbers to repair it after one of my assembly cells
crashed (some one played with the ladder that didn't understand it). Bearings are noisy.
The bearings are not common, I have them, cost as much as the cartridge that will be made
some time this month and then shippped from Japan. I'm waiting for it to fail but I got
spare parts which is all I care about. When chit happens, I'm ready. I hate chit
happening when I don't have spares.

I buy a lot of stuff waiting for a failure in order to use it and save the day. Management
has been good about approving my requests.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

--

See, if you watched baseball, you'd know that THK has big display ads for
ballscrews and ball-bearing ways right behind home plate at the Seattle

--
Ed Huntress

#4 MT

Not sure if "spindle" is the correcxt term for this part.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Live centers can be had for $35 in good condition.

How many do you need? And one assumes #4 MT?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
Randy wrote:
My CNC lathe came with a seized live center in the tailstock. I
finally got it out. NSK brand. disassenmbled it and found the
"spindle" is pitted from coolant that got past the seal and just laid
in there. The front bearing, a needle roller, rides directly on the
"spindle". So I would need a new spindle and complete set of
bearings. Worth it? Can you even get parts from NSK?

NSK is just the bearing brand. See if there is a number on it.
I have never found a way to change the bearing on the few smaller ones I
have. they are pressed into a blind hole, then the point is pressed into
the bearing.
If you figure out how to get it apart, you may find the bearing costs as
much as a replacement live cente

To get a bearing out of a blind hole, fill the bearing hole with heavy
grease and get a piece of round stock that will just fit inside the
bearing inner race. Hit the pin with a hammer and the grease will push
up on the back side of the bearing and hopefully push it out. You may
have to add more grease as the bearing moves out. If the bearing dust
covers are off the bearing it probably won't come out since the grease
will push through the inner and outter race.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 8:30*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

RBnDFW wrote:

Randy wrote:
[...]

Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

good one.

#4 MT

Not sure if "spindle" is the correcxt term for this part.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Live centers can be had for $35 in good condition.

How many do you need? And one assumes #4 MT?

I need one #4MT prefer CNC extented point style. Why they even
still make the old style is beyond me.

What you got?

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
Randy wrote:
[...]

Been there, done that.
On a live center, the bearing hole is filled with a pressed in point,
which tapers back to flush with the inner race. Can't get it out without
destroying it, but then a replacement point would be easy to make.

#4 MT

Not sure if "spindle" is the correcxt term for this part.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Live centers can be had for $35 in good condition.

How many do you need? And one assumes #4 MT?

I need one #4MT prefer CNC extented point style. Why they even
still make the old style is beyond me.

What you got?

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Let me check.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

See, if you watched baseball, you'd know that THK has big display ads for
ballscrews and ball-bearing ways right behind home plate at the Seattle
Mariner's stadium (Safeco Field). You could have called Ichiro Suzuki. d8-)

No adds at the Tour de France? I remember seeing bicycles all over Japan when I was
there.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

See, if you watched baseball, you'd know that THK has big display ads for
ballscrews and ball-bearing ways right behind home plate at the Seattle
Mariner's stadium (Safeco Field). You could have called Ichiro Suzuki.
d8-)

No adds at the Tour de France? I remember seeing bicycles all over Japan
when I was
there.

Wes

You'll have to tell us if they have ads at the Tour for ballscrews and
linear ways. g

I'm surprised you didn't express surprise that those costly, major ads at
Safeco are for machine parts. The reason is that the TV coverage of the
Mariners in Japan probably is greater than in the US. And I think that maybe
THK is a part owner of the Mariners.

Ichiro is a national hero in Japan, like Hideki Matsui (who played for the
Yanks, and plays now for the Angels).

--
Ed Huntress

fs: MT4 live center $35 Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 0 July 11th 10 05:11 AM
live center? Gary & Karen Woodturning 7 March 1st 07 12:47 AM
Help making my own Live Cup Center [email protected] Metalworking 4 April 3rd 05 02:44 AM
Live center, CNC point Wayne Metalworking 11 January 26th 05 03:29 PM
Dead center/live center lathe question R.H. Woodworking 10 October 18th 04 07:32 PM