Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Repairing/rebuilding live center....worth it?

john wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
Randy wrote:
My CNC lathe came with a seized live center in the tailstock. I
finally got it out. NSK brand. disassenmbled it and found the
"spindle" is pitted from coolant that got past the seal and just laid
in there. The front bearing, a needle roller, rides directly on the
"spindle". So I would need a new spindle and complete set of
bearings. Worth it? Can you even get parts from NSK?

NSK is just the bearing brand. See if there is a number on it.
I have never found a way to change the bearing on the few smaller ones I
have. they are pressed into a blind hole, then the point is pressed into
the bearing.
If you figure out how to get it apart, you may find the bearing costs as
much as a replacement live cente

To get a bearing out of a blind hole, fill the bearing hole with heavy
grease and get a piece of round stock that will just fit inside the
bearing inner race. Hit the pin with a hammer and the grease will push
up on the back side of the bearing and hopefully push it out. You may
have to add more grease as the bearing moves out. If the bearing dust
covers are off the bearing it probably won't come out since the grease
will push through the inner and outter race.

Been there, done that.
On a live center, the bearing hole is filled with a pressed in point,
which tapers back to flush with the inner race. Can't get it out without
destroying it, but then a replacement point would be easy to make.