R.H.

Default Dead center/live center lathe question

On my web site someone posted this comment concerning lathe centers:

"I may be wrong but I was taught years ago that the difference between
a live center and a dead center was whether there was power to it. A
center is a center. Calling a ball bearing center a "live" center, I
was taught is not correct. The headstock center is a live center, the
tailstock center is a dead center, ball bearings or not. Anybody have
a better take on this?"

I was hoping someone here might be able to answer this, I don't think
too many people browse the comments in old posts on my site so I
figured I would post it to the group.

Then if you don't mind I'll post the answer on my site or you could
post it there yourself:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/2004/09/130.html

Thanks,
Rob
Doug Winterburn

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:16:02 -0700, R.H. wrote:

On my web site someone posted this comment concerning lathe centers:

"I may be wrong but I was taught years ago that the difference between a
live center and a dead center was whether there was power to it. A center
is a center. Calling a ball bearing center a "live" center, I was taught
is not correct. The headstock center is a live center, the tailstock
center is a dead center, ball bearings or not. Anybody have a better take
on this?"

"The Lathe Book" by Ernie Conover says "There are two types of tailstock
centers: dead centers and live centers".

He then goes on to to describe and explain the differences and
advantages/disadvantages of each.

The "drive center" goes in the headstock and is different from dead
centers and live centers.

-Doug

--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between

George

Common usage. Simple as that. By convention the "dead" center is the one
you soap, the "live" the one with bearings.

I'm pretty old, and the convention has been in force since I remember.
Frank Pain, one of the Worshipful Order of Woodturners and a piecemaker in
High Wycombe refers to "driving centres and "tail-stock centres" in his
1956 classic The Practical Woodturner.

"R.H." wrote in message
om...
On my web site someone posted this comment concerning lathe centers:

"I may be wrong but I was taught years ago that the difference between
a live center and a dead center was whether there was power to it. A
center is a center. Calling a ball bearing center a "live" center, I
was taught is not correct. The headstock center is a live center, the
tailstock center is a dead center, ball bearings or not. Anybody have
a better take on this?"

I was hoping someone here might be able to answer this, I don't think
too many people browse the comments in old posts on my site so I
figured I would post it to the group.

Then if you don't mind I'll post the answer on my site or you could
post it there yourself:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/2004/09/130.html

Thanks,
Rob

Dave Balderstone

In article , R.H.
wrote:

On my web site someone posted this comment concerning lathe centers:

On your web site, someone was wrong.
GTO69RA4

On my web site someone posted this comment concerning lathe centers:

"I may be wrong but I was taught years ago that the difference between
a live center and a dead center was whether there was power to it. A
center is a center. Calling a ball bearing center a "live" center, I
was taught is not correct. The headstock center is a live center, the
tailstock center is a dead center, ball bearings or not. Anybody have
a better take on this?"

I was hoping someone here might be able to answer this, I don't think
too many people browse the comments in old posts on my site so I
figured I would post it to the group.

Then if you don't mind I'll post the answer on my site or you could
post it there yourself:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/2004/09/130.html

Thanks,
Rob

I've never heard that usage. There are driving centers for woodworking, used in
the headstock. Live vs. dead is bearing-supported vs. solid.

GTO(John)

ToolMiser

I was also taught the "live" center is on the headstock and the "dead" center
is on the tailstock. Doesn't mean it was right, but that is what I was taught.
TeamCasa

Driver center - Used in Headstock - Spur or fixed screw or plate or chuck.
Used to drive work piece.
Dead center - Used in Tailstock - a fixed point, or combination of fixed
point and circle - driven into work piece - used to support the non-driven
side of work. Typically lubricated (since it does not turn with work piece)
Live Center - Used in Tailstock - a point supported by a bearing, thus
allowing the point to turn in conjunction with work piece - may be a point,
cone (inside or outside) or other device to secure with non-driven side of
the work piece.

Dave

om...