Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Repairing/rebuilding live center....worth it?

On Jul 14, 8:30*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

RBnDFW wrote:

Randy wrote:
My CNC lathe came with a seized live center in the tailstock. * I
finally got it out. * NSK brand. * disassenmbled it and found the
"spindle" is pitted from coolant that got past the seal and just laid
in there. * The front bearing, a needle roller, rides directly on the
"spindle". * *So I would need a new spindle and complete set of
bearings. * *Worth it? * Can you even get parts from NSK?

NSK is just the bearing brand. *See if there is a number on it.
I have never found a way to change the bearing on the few smaller ones I
have. they are pressed into a blind hole, then the point is pressed into
the bearing.
* *If you figure out how to get it apart, you may find the bearing
costs as much as a replacement live center.

It all depends on the level of precision and how common it is.

I'm waiting for a THK ball screw bearing cartridge at the moment.

I managed to get the bearing part numbers to repair it after one of my
assembly cells
crashed (some one played with the ladder that didn't understand it).
Bearings are noisy.
The bearings are not common, I have them, cost as much as the cartridge
that will be made
some time this month and then shippped from Japan. *I'm waiting for it to
fail but I got
spare parts which is all I care about. *When chit happens, I'm ready. *I
hate chit
happening when I don't have spares.

I buy a lot of stuff waiting for a failure in order to use it and save the
day. Management
has been good about approving my requests.

Wes
--

See, if you watched baseball, you'd know that THK has big display ads for
ballscrews and ball-bearing ways right behind home plate at the Seattle

--
Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

good one.