Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ran a motor with servo drive today

I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11285 wrote:

I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Progress! I wish I was there to watch, drink your beer and maybe even help

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11285 wrote:

I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Progress! I wish I was there to watch, drink your beer and maybe even help

Wes, I have a huge supply of Miller Lite, if you are ever in the area,
I would love to see you!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11285" wrote in message
I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Iggy, I can see an additiction coming on. THERE IS NO CURE. You'd best stop
now before you are totally hooked. That little thrill you get everytime a
machine does your bidding must be fed. You'll need larger and larger fixes.
Soon your home will be taken over with top performing machines you paid
little or nothing for.

Just a hopeless addict warning you.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ignoramus11285" wrote in message
I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Iggy, I can see an additiction coming on. THERE IS NO CURE. You'd best stop
now before you are totally hooked. That little thrill you get everytime a
machine does your bidding must be fed. You'll need larger and larger fixes.
Soon your home will be taken over with top performing machines you paid
little or nothing for.

Just a hopeless addict warning you.

Karl

Three questions to ask yourself when considering any tool acquisition:

1. How often would I use it?

2. Do I have room for it?

3. Do I already have a way to do the same task adequately?

Answering these questions honestly helps keep the addiction in check.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-27, Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ignoramus11285" wrote in message
I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Iggy, I can see an additiction coming on. THERE IS NO CURE. You'd
best stop now before you are totally hooked. That little thrill you
get everytime a machine does your bidding must be fed. You'll need
larger and larger fixes. Soon your home will be taken over with top
performing machines you paid little or nothing for.

It is hard to pass by $5 milling machines and working on them is
fun. This is definitely the last one, however, as I have no more
space.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11285" wrote in message
I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Do your motors have tachometers on them?

It's good for you to know how to run the drives like this, if there is a
problem and an axis doesn't move sometime, you will be able to tell if the
problem is in the drive or somewhere else.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
On 2010-06-27, Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ignoramus11285" wrote in message
I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Iggy, I can see an additiction coming on. THERE IS NO CURE. You'd
best stop now before you are totally hooked. That little thrill you
get everytime a machine does your bidding must be fed. You'll need
larger and larger fixes. Soon your home will be taken over with top
performing machines you paid little or nothing for.

It is hard to pass by $5 milling machines and working on them is
fun. This is definitely the last one, however, as I have no more
space.

Heck, after you're done you can double your money and sell the mill for $10
and do another one! :-) I can't wait to see pics of your home made tool
changer after you get the mill running.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-27, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus11285" wrote in message
I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Do your motors have tachometers on them?

Yep.

I still have not decided if I should use voltage mode or tachometer
mode.

Tachometer mode seems to be more accurate, but with potential for
trouble if tachometer stops working.

It's good for you to know how to run the drives like this, if there is a
problem and an axis doesn't move sometime, you will be able to tell if the
problem is in the drive or somewhere else.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 09:51:30 -0500, Ignoramus12901

On 2010-06-27, Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ignoramus11285" wrote in message
I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Iggy, I can see an additiction coming on. THERE IS NO CURE. You'd
best stop now before you are totally hooked. That little thrill you
get everytime a machine does your bidding must be fed. You'll need
larger and larger fixes. Soon your home will be taken over with top
performing machines you paid little or nothing for.

It is hard to pass by $5 milling machines and working on them is
fun. This is definitely the last one, however, as I have no more
space.

Saved for prosperity..and to be trotted out in a year or two and held
over his head in glee as he starts talking about the next machine he
drags home.

Gunner, hard core machinery addict.
Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-26, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11285 wrote:

I was able to run the Y axis motor with a 30A8 servo drive today. Used
a 30v power supply as power source and another power supply as a
command source. I used a reversing switch for Legos as a control. It
worked pretty well! Next thing I will do is switch to tachometer mode
instead of voltage mode.

Progress! I wish I was there to watch, drink your beer and maybe even help

Wes, I have a huge supply of Miller Lite, if you are ever in the area,
I would love to see you!

Maybe some day the company will get back to the concept that training is a valuable asset
and I can attend training at Fanuc in Chicago. If it happens, I'll look you up.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller