Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Todays plasticworking

Today I got tasked with making new gripper jaws for an assembly cell. I saw the email
before I made it into work while drinking coffee eating breakfast.

I'm using some 3" square 95A Shore urethane to make some vee shaped grippers that hold a
round part we clamp onto and then torque 6 fasteners to about 36 foot pounds.

I knew it was coming since I figured out what durometer material was being used. Quality
had a shore hardness tester.

Anyway, I took my high priced 3x3x36" chunk of urethane and made a test cut in the band
saw. Sliced off a 1/8" piece nice and square. Cool. Make a mark at 7.5" and take
another cut. I get a crooked cut, thankfully the crooked made my part longer at the
bottom so I didn't waste the urethane.

Okay, I'll change the blade, it looked okay but I've seen the saw cut crooked when someone
else ruined the blade. Medium horizontal saw, 12'6"x 1 variable pitch.

Take another test cut on end of remaining stock. Nice and square.

Cut another chunk for the other jaw, just as crooked and I even slowed the cut down to
nothing and even lifted out of the cut a few times. I was even running coolant.

I do not know what is going on there. I can cut a chunk of steel just fine and square.

To save time milling this crap (trust me, this stuff stinks to machine), I used the
vertical metal bandsaw to wack off 3/8 inch down a side. Other than the drift angle being
about 25 degrees to cut a straight line that went well.

Now clamping it in the vise hard enough that it would not pull out, raises the material
0.10" or so. I learned to clamp it, face it, measure it, reclamp it putting the vice
handle at the same angle. Putting the counterbores in the right place might take some
thought or bigger holes

I would have liked to try a dry ice and alcohol bath to make this stuff hard but no one
knew where I could get dry ice. I did put the two chunks in a freezer in the lunch room
to cool them. I'm not sure that made them more machinable but I figured it can't hurt.

Due to the milling I have to do, I fabricated a plate that I can screw the part to since
there is no other way to machine it.

Tomorrow I'll fight with it again. I had to order a counter bore. At least it will be
sharp, you need sharp with this crap.

I *really* want to get my wood shop set back up so I can make a mold for using castable
urethane to avoid much of this.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/17/2010 03:14 PM, Wes wrote:
[...]

You used to be able to get dry ice at Baskin Robins and other ice cream
places.

That was only about year 10AN* -- it's 50AN now, so they may be
protecting you from getting hurt now.

* After Nader

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
[...]

almost every supermarket around here has a dry ice cooler next to the bagged
ice cooler.

Due to the milling I have to do, I fabricated a plate that I can
screw the part to since there is no other way to machine it.

Tomorrow I'll fight with it again. I had to order a counter bore.
At least it will be sharp, you need sharp with this crap.

I *really* want to get my wood shop set back up so I can make a mold
for using castable urethane to avoid much of this.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

You used to be able to get dry ice at Baskin Robins and other ice cream
places.

That was only about year 10AN* -- it's 50AN now, so they may be
protecting you from getting hurt now.

* After Nader

I'm getting tired of being protected. Since I repair things that are 'protected', the
protection starts to become a safety hazard for me. I have to figure out how to defeat it
to see what is wrong inside a protected machine. Lots of trip wires there.

Btw, I noticed today, the Servo brand power feed for bridgeports really has some torque.
You don't want to get between the X axis handle and the power feed body. It doesn't want
to stop and it is a pinch point. Not an accident, just an observation since I was making
a lot of passes on some urethane and had lots of time to notice things.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"chaniarts" wrote:

almost every supermarket around here has a dry ice cooler next to the bagged
ice cooler.

Charlie,

I've kept my eye out for dry ice for years. Never seen the stuff in super markets. You
in the USA?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"chaniarts" wrote:

almost every supermarket around here has a dry ice cooler next to
the bagged ice cooler.

Charlie,

I've kept my eye out for dry ice for years. Never seen the stuff in
super markets. You in the USA?

Wes

phoenix area. we have lots of boaters who use it in their coolers to go to
the lakes. ice doesn't last long without it out here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

I *really* want to get my wood shop set back up so I can make a mold for

using castable
urethane to avoid much of this.

If you have a machine shop, you can use metal working tools on wood without
too much grief, or just make the mold out of aluminum.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"chaniarts" wrote:

Wes wrote:
"chaniarts" wrote:

almost every supermarket around here has a dry ice cooler next to
the bagged ice cooler.

Charlie,

I've kept my eye out for dry ice for years. Never seen the stuff in
super markets. You in the USA?

Wes

phoenix area. we have lots of boaters who use it in their coolers to go to
the lakes. ice doesn't last long without it out here.

I'm near 45N latitude. I bet dry ice is popular in Arizona.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

I would have liked to try a dry ice and alcohol bath to make this stuff hard but no one
knew where I could get dry ice.

You can make your own, all you need is a CO2 cylinder with a dip tube,
or invert a non-dip tube cylinder. Run the liquid hose (get a Stainless
steel wrapped hose designed for liquid CO2, and be sure never to trap
the liquid in the line between valves) into a tightly built wood box
with a UHMW (or similar) lining. The hose should be run into a T
fitting with the side to the tank, bottom into the top of the box, and
top having an adjustable relief valve. Shoot small bursts of CO2 into
the box, each burst will create a layer of 'snow' and many layers will
pack into a solid brick. a 2x3x8 inch brick will be about a pound of
dry ice. Build the box so it can be easily unclamped to allow removal
of the CO2(s).

Stuart
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/17/2010 03:59 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

Wes wrote:
wrote:

almost every supermarket around here has a dry ice cooler next to
the bagged ice cooler.

Charlie,

I've kept my eye out for dry ice for years. Never seen the stuff in
super markets. You in the USA?

Wes

phoenix area. we have lots of boaters who use it in their coolers to go to
the lakes. ice doesn't last long without it out here.

I'm near 45N latitude. I bet dry ice is popular in Arizona.

Wes

Are you closer to Salem or St. John?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

I'm near 45N latitude. I bet dry ice is popular in Arizona.

That's funny. I crossed 45N twice this weekend. Ca to Wa.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

chaniarts wrote:
Wes wrote:
"chaniarts" wrote:

almost every supermarket around here has a dry ice cooler next to
the bagged ice cooler.

Charlie,

I've kept my eye out for dry ice for years. Never seen the stuff in
super markets. You in the USA?

Wes

phoenix area. we have lots of boaters who use it in their coolers to go to
the lakes. ice doesn't last long without it out here.

Only one that carries it in our town is Krogers.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I *really* want to get my wood shop set back up so I can make a mold for
using castable
urethane to avoid much of this.

The whole time I was reading your post, I was thinking casting, casting,
casting :-). Make the mold from aluminum so you get to do metalworking, and
cast the jaws.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 5:49*pm, cavelamb wrote:
chaniarts wrote:
Wes wrote:
"chaniarts" wrote:

almost every supermarket around here has a dry ice cooler next to
the bagged ice cooler.
Charlie,

I've kept my eye out for dry ice for years. *Never seen the stuff in
super markets. *You in the USA?

Wes

phoenix area. we have lots of boaters who use it in their coolers to go to
the lakes. ice doesn't last long without it out here.

Only one that carries it in our town is Krogers.

--

Richard Lamb

The Fred Meyer Store (Kroger) in Redmond, Oregon has a locked chest
just outside the do-it-yourself check out counters. I bet if you asked
any employee at a Kroger chain market, they could tell you where the
locker is located.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

I see Dry Ice in Publix and Winn-Dixie Supermarkets. You have to
show that you're 18 to buy it.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Are you closer to Salem or St. John?

Mitten State.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

You used to be able to get dry ice at Baskin Robins and other ice cream
places.

That was only about year 10AN* -- it's 50AN now, so they may be
protecting you from getting hurt now.

* After Nader

I'm getting tired of being protected. Since I repair things that are 'protected', the
protection starts to become a safety hazard for me. I have to figure out how to defeat it
to see what is wrong inside a protected machine. Lots of trip wires there.

Btw, I noticed today, the Servo brand power feed for bridgeports really has some torque.
You don't want to get between the X axis handle and the power feed body. It doesn't want
to stop and it is a pinch point. Not an accident, just an observation since I was making
a lot of passes on some urethane and had lots of time to notice things.

Wes

You want to get one of the safety handles fitted where you have to twist
the handgrip to engage a drive pin, a standard BP part. I fitted one
when I added a power feed to my BP because I knew getting a hand trapped
would not be pleasant.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 4:14*pm, Wes wrote:
[...]

It's probably extruded so you're fighting built-in stresses in the
longitudinal direction. No stress while crosscutting. Only way I can
figure to fight that problem is the cold solution and gnaw away from
both sides to get the required thickness. Same problem as with cold-
rolled. Got a wood planer? Might be easier to do it that way than
try to mill it.

Kroger around here has dry ice, Yellow Pages might turn up something
for your area.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:37:01 -0400
Wes wrote:

snip
I've kept my eye out for dry ice for years. Never seen the stuff in super markets. You
in the USA?

Wes

Try asking at Meijer. I saw a note/reference to it (dry ice) when I
was checking out ~6 months ago. Keep forgetting to ask one of the
cashiers we're friendly with about it...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

Btw, I noticed today, the Servo brand power feed for bridgeports really has some torque.
You don't want to get between the X axis handle and the power feed body. It doesn't want
to stop and it is a pinch point. Not an accident, just an observation since I was making
a lot of passes on some urethane and had lots of time to notice things.

Wes

You want to get one of the safety handles fitted where you have to twist
the handgrip to engage a drive pin, a standard BP part. I fitted one
when I added a power feed to my BP because I knew getting a hand trapped
would not be pleasant.

I'll look into that. We have a Series II Special with bigger table and bigger power feed,
it has that push in to turn handle on it.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

Try asking at Meijer. I saw a note/reference to it (dry ice) when I
was checking out ~6 months ago. Keep forgetting to ask one of the
cashiers we're friendly with about it...

I'll ask tomorrow. Maybe they can send some up from Grand Rapids if they don't have it at
my local store.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
David Billington wrote:

Wes wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

I was worried about the same thing on my Millrite MVI (about 2/3 the size of a
Bridgeport), and I replaced the crank handle with a 7" diameter solid-disk
wheel, which makes getting trapped a lot harder to accomplish. But I like the
disengagable crank approach too.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:39:46 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote the following:

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:37:01 -0400
Wes wrote:

snip
I've kept my eye out for dry ice for years. Never seen the stuff in super markets. You
in the USA?

Wes

Try asking at Meijer. I saw a note/reference to it (dry ice) when I
was checking out ~6 months ago. Keep forgetting to ask one of the
cashiers we're friendly with about it...

I just tried our local Wally SuperCenter (nogo) and Fred Meyer (yes!).
I've been shopping there for 8 years and didn't know they carried it.
$1.09/lb here in Oregon.

--
Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst.
-- Lin Yutang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:06:03 -0400
Wes wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

Try asking at Meijer. I saw a note/reference to it (dry ice) when I
was checking out ~6 months ago. Keep forgetting to ask one of the
cashiers we're friendly with about it...

I'll ask tomorrow. Maybe they can send some up from Grand Rapids if they don't have it at
my local store.

I remembered to ask today. Alpine Meijer carries it, the cashier said
it was $1.39 lb and comes in all sorts of sizes like 4-5 lbs.

She thought it was like a year or so now that they have had it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

I'll ask tomorrow. Maybe they can send some up from Grand Rapids if they don't have it at
my local store.

I remembered to ask today. Alpine Meijer carries it, the cashier said
it was $1.39 lb and comes in all sorts of sizes like 4-5 lbs.

She thought it was like a year or so now that they have had it.

Thanks for that data bit. I keep forgeting to ask at my local Meijer until I've made it
out of the parking lot on the way home.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
dry ice
I remembered to ask today. Alpine Meijer carries it, the cashier said
it was $1.39 lb and comes in all sorts of sizes like 4-5 lbs.

Umm ... how does $1.39/lb compare to CO2 from a gas supplier?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:
dry ice
I remembered to ask today. Alpine Meijer carries it, the cashier said
it was $1.39 lb and comes in all sorts of sizes like 4-5 lbs.

Umm ... how does $1.39/lb compare to CO2 from a gas supplier?

Bob

I don't know. I bet we have some CO2 for mig welding in the plant. I have a feeling the
safety people would stop me from trying Stuarts suggestion. Our accident rate is way up,
likely because the new guy actually records things so management is on a safety jihad

I stopped at Meijer again today and forgot to ask. Worked a 1/2 day and my mind was on
getting home.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:
dry ice
I remembered to ask today. Alpine Meijer carries it, the cashier said
it was $1.39 lb and comes in all sorts of sizes like 4-5 lbs.

Umm ... how does $1.39/lb compare to CO2 from a gas supplier?

Bob

I don't know. I bet we have some CO2 for mig welding in the plant. I have a feeling the
safety people would stop me from trying Stuarts suggestion. ...

[making dry ice from CO2 gas]

I was thinking the other way around: making CO2 welding gas from dry
ice. I've heard that CO2 is cheap, but I know "cheap" is relative and
that the welding gas supplier will take you for what he can get.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:17:48 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Wes wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:
dry ice
I remembered to ask today. Alpine Meijer carries it, the cashier said
it was $1.39 lb and comes in all sorts of sizes like 4-5 lbs.

Umm ... how does $1.39/lb compare to CO2 from a gas supplier?

Bob

I don't know. I bet we have some CO2 for mig welding in the plant. I have a feeling the
safety people would stop me from trying Stuarts suggestion. ...

[making dry ice from CO2 gas]

I was thinking the other way around: making CO2 welding gas from dry
ice. I've heard that CO2 is cheap, but I know "cheap" is relative and
that the welding gas supplier will take you for what he can get.

Bob

20lb bottle costs me $11 for a refill

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I was thinking the other way around: making CO2 welding gas from dry
ice. I've heard that CO2 is cheap, but I know "cheap" is relative and
that the welding gas supplier will take you for what he can get.

Bob

20lb bottle costs me $11 for a refill

Gunner

Sounds like welding gas is cheaper, I didn't look it up but the co2 bottle is in liquid
form and dry ice is in solid form. Likely reasonably close in density but one is
subliming on you and the other has a nice container with a valve.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Sounds like welding gas is cheaper, I didn't look it up but the co2 bottle is in liquid
form and dry ice is in solid form. Likely reasonably close in density but one is
subliming on you and the other has a nice container with a valve.

Well, they're both sold by weight, so it's a 1-to-1 comparison.

If the CO2 was significantly more expensive and one didn't use it that
often, a cobbled-together "sublimer" might be a workable alternative to
buying/renting a tank. Mostly, it was a hare-brained idea G.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 09:14:34 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I was thinking the other way around: making CO2 welding gas from dry
ice. I've heard that CO2 is cheap, but I know "cheap" is relative and
that the welding gas supplier will take you for what he can get.

Bob

20lb bottle costs me $11 for a refill

Gunner

Sounds like welding gas is cheaper, I didn't look it up but the co2 bottle is in liquid
form and dry ice is in solid form. Likely reasonably close in density but one is
subliming on you and the other has a nice container with a valve.

Wes

Ayup. That bottle thingy works pretty well, all things considered. And
its pretty easy to simply hook up a hose to the bottle and to the MIG.

And the bottle is tougher than a big Baggie.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Wes wrote:
Sounds like welding gas is cheaper, I didn't look it up but the co2 bottle is in liquid
form and dry ice is in solid form. Likely reasonably close in density but one is
subliming on you and the other has a nice container with a valve.

Well, they're both sold by weight, so it's a 1-to-1 comparison.

If the CO2 was significantly more expensive and one didn't use it that
often, a cobbled-together "sublimer" might be a workable alternative to
buying/renting a tank. Mostly, it was a hare-brained idea G.

Bob

Since we are talking about hare-brained ideas, if my coke is flat, can I put a bit of dry
ice in it and recarbonate it if I screw the lid on?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:24:13 -0400, Wes
wrote the following:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Wes wrote:
Sounds like welding gas is cheaper, I didn't look it up but the co2 bottle is in liquid
form and dry ice is in solid form. Likely reasonably close in density but one is
subliming on you and the other has a nice container with a valve.

Well, they're both sold by weight, so it's a 1-to-1 comparison.

If the CO2 was significantly more expensive and one didn't use it that
often, a cobbled-together "sublimer" might be a workable alternative to
buying/renting a tank. Mostly, it was a hare-brained idea G.

Bob

Since we are talking about hare-brained ideas, if my coke is flat, can I put a bit of dry
ice in it and recarbonate it if I screw the lid on?

Well, if you were to do that and shake it vigorously...

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas
in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Since we are talking about hare-brained ideas, if my coke is flat, can I put a bit of dry
ice in it and recarbonate it if I screw the lid on?

Well, if you were to do that and shake it vigorously...

I know, too much and I have a dry ice bomb of sorts. Still, I wonder if just enough would
do the trick? Think of the possiblilites, your own carbonated orange juice or lemonaid.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

Since we are talking about hare-brained ideas, if my coke is flat, can I
put a bit of dry
ice in it and recarbonate it if I screw the lid on?

Well, if you were to do that and shake it vigorously...

I know, too much and I have a dry ice bomb of sorts. Still, I wonder if
just enough would
do the trick? Think of the possiblilites, your own carbonated orange
juice or lemonaid.

Wes

You realize that there are carbonators that use little CO2 cartridges to do
exactly that. I used to have one but the novelty wore off.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

Since we are talking about hare-brained ideas, if my coke is flat, can I
put a bit of dry
ice in it and recarbonate it if I screw the lid on?

Well, if you were to do that and shake it vigorously...

I know, too much and I have a dry ice bomb of sorts. Still, I wonder if
just enough would
do the trick? Think of the possiblilites, your own carbonated orange
juice or lemonaid.

Wes

You realize that there are carbonators that use little CO2 cartridges to do
exactly that. I used to have one but the novelty wore off.

Oh yes, I've used CO2 cartridges for years to inflate bicycle tires when away from home.
Some enterprising individual modified an inflator to blow a dry ball out of muzzle
loaders. I think that is the term when you ram the bullet or ball and patch w/o adding
the powder first. Sucks, btdt.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Since we are talking about hare-brained ideas, if my coke is flat, can I put a bit of dry
ice in it and recarbonate it if I screw the lid on?

Well, if you were to do that and shake it vigorously...

I know, too much and I have a dry ice bomb of sorts. Still, I wonder if just enough would
do the trick? Think of the possiblilites, your own carbonated orange juice or lemonaid.

The special dry ice cooler at the local Publix supermarket has
directions on the lid, of how to make soft drinks with dry ice.

It looks like Airgas owns 'Penguin' dry ice. Here is a link to their
4500 retailer locations.

http://www.airgas.com/customer_service/site_locator.aspx?LocationType=DryIce

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:56:42 -0400, Wes
wrote the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Since we are talking about hare-brained ideas, if my coke is flat, can I put a bit of dry
ice in it and recarbonate it if I screw the lid on?

Well, if you were to do that and shake it vigorously...

I know, too much and I have a dry ice bomb of sorts. Still, I wonder if just enough would
do the trick? Think of the possiblilites, your own carbonated orange juice or lemonaid.

I didn't think it would work. The carbonators work on compressed CO2
and I believe it's the state change which both chills the liquid and
carbonates it. Or am I mixing bottle chillers with carbonators?
I've seen both but never used either.

http://www.wikihow.com/Carbonate-a-Beverage but this punk proves me
wrong with his highly professional How-To home movie.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas
in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:
dry ice
I remembered to ask today. Alpine Meijer carries it, the cashier
said it was $1.39 lb and comes in all sorts of sizes like 4-5 lbs.

Umm ... how does $1.39/lb compare to CO2 from a gas supplier?

Bob

I don't know. I bet we have some CO2 for mig welding in the plant.
I have a feeling the safety people would stop me from trying Stuarts
suggestion. Our accident rate is way up, likely because the new guy
actually records things so management is on a safety jihad

I stopped at Meijer again today and forgot to ask. Worked a 1/2 day
and my mind was on getting home.

Wes

don't you have a phone somewhere?