Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Todays plasticworking

In article ,
David Billington wrote:

Wes wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

You used to be able to get dry ice at Baskin Robins and other ice cream
places.

That was only about year 10AN* -- it's 50AN now, so they may be
protecting you from getting hurt now.

* After Nader

I'm getting tired of being protected. Since I repair things that are
'protected', the
protection starts to become a safety hazard for me. I have to figure out
how to defeat it
to see what is wrong inside a protected machine. Lots of trip wires there.

Btw, I noticed today, the Servo brand power feed for bridgeports really has
some torque.
You don't want to get between the X axis handle and the power feed body.
It doesn't want
to stop and it is a pinch point. Not an accident, just an observation
since I was making
a lot of passes on some urethane and had lots of time to notice things.

Wes

You want to get one of the safety handles fitted where you have to twist
the handgrip to engage a drive pin, a standard BP part. I fitted one
when I added a power feed to my BP because I knew getting a hand trapped
would not be pleasant.

I was worried about the same thing on my Millrite MVI (about 2/3 the size of a
Bridgeport), and I replaced the crank handle with a 7" diameter solid-disk
wheel, which makes getting trapped a lot harder to accomplish. But I like the
disengagable crank approach too.

Joe Gwinn