Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Todays top H&S tip

1) When carrying two bags of food from the car to the house, do not trip
over the kerb.

2) Should you trip over the kerb, try not to descend headfirst into a low
level rose bush.

This will result in comments like 'Oh botheration' and cause a 80mm scar
from left eye to cheek bone.

Fortunately my sister in law ( senior staff nurse) and daughter (paramedic)
were on hand to pull assorted thorns from my cranium and stem the bleeding.

Risk assessment; If carrying shopping wear suitable face protection & non
slip footwear.

Don't you feel like a complete prat when you do something like that?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
1) When carrying two bags of food from the car to the house, do not trip
over the kerb.

2) Should you trip over the kerb, try not to descend headfirst into a low
level rose bush.

This will result in comments like 'Oh botheration' and cause a 80mm scar
from left eye to cheek bone.

Fortunately my sister in law ( senior staff nurse) and daughter (paramedic)
were on hand to pull assorted thorns from my cranium and stem the bleeding.

Risk assessment; If carrying shopping wear suitable face protection & non
slip footwear.

Don't you feel like a complete prat when you do something like that?

Don't you have a Mrs to do these things for you ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

On 07/03/2010 03:45, John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
1) When carrying two bags of food from the car to the house, do not
trip over the kerb.

2) Should you trip over the kerb, try not to descend headfirst into a
low level rose bush.

This will result in comments like 'Oh botheration' and cause a 80mm
scar from left eye to cheek bone.

Fortunately my sister in law ( senior staff nurse) and daughter
(paramedic) were on hand to pull assorted thorns from my cranium and
stem the bleeding.

The question is, at which point in the proceedings did they start
laughing? ;-)

He is about a month early with his crown of thorns.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Should you trip over the kerb, try not to descend headfirst into a low
level rose bush.

Done in the true spirit of "face-plant" :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
Should you trip over the kerb, try not to descend headfirst into a low
level rose bush.

Done in the true spirit of "face-plant" :-)

Are you claiming compensation from the bush grower?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

1) When carrying two bags of food from the car to the house, do not trip
over the kerb.

Don't you feel like a complete prat when you do something like that?

Someone else's tradegy he

"When carrying ridiculous quantities of stuff the short distance from
your car to the office, take an extra moment to use the shoulder strap
on your laptop case. If you don’t, you will trip over said shoulder
strap, fracture your ankle on your wheel-arch, smash your laptop on the
concrete and – because you are carrying too many things and can’t put
your arms out – land flat on your face in front of eight builders,
breaking a tooth and permanently damaging your ego. #LFMF

From the 'Learn from my fail' blog, that sits on the top of my
FeedDemon RSS reading list.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
1) When carrying two bags of food from the car to the house, do not trip
over the kerb.

Don't you feel like a complete prat when you do something like that?

Someone else's tradegy he

"When carrying ridiculous quantities of stuff the short distance from
your car to the office, take an extra moment to use the shoulder strap
on your laptop case. If you don’t, you will trip over said shoulder
strap, fracture your ankle on your wheel-arch, smash your laptop on the
concrete and – because you are carrying too many things and can’t put
your arms out – land flat on your face in front of eight builders,
breaking a tooth and permanently damaging your ego. #LFMF

The most 'pratty' thing I ever did (in that vein, at least) was a few
years ago when walking along a busy street minding my own business, when
I stepped on one of those bits of stiff plastic strapping used by the
the likes of newspaper vendors to bundle up newspapers. This bit had
been pulled off, than cut off, so was lying on the pavement was a hoop
about 18" in diameter.

When my left foot stepped on the hoop, it immediately flipped up
perpendicular to the ground. By this time, my right foot was already
moving through the air, and entered the hoop, which was firmly anchored
to the ground by my body weight.

All within a single ohnosecond, I stumbled, and as my right foot came
off the ground, the hoop was yanked up and over my foot by the force of
my left leg moving forward.

At this point my upper body was still making onward progress at walking
pace, while woefully at the same time my ankles were firmly anchored
together by the plastic hoop. So naturally, down I went in the manner
of a felled telegraph pole.

No lasting damage done, but not the most elegant moment of my life.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
1) When carrying two bags of food from the car to the house, do not
trip over the kerb.

2) Should you trip over the kerb, try not to descend headfirst into
a low level rose bush.

This will result in comments like 'Oh botheration' and cause a 80mm
scar from left eye to cheek bone.

Fortunately my sister in law ( senior staff nurse) and daughter
(paramedic) were on hand to pull assorted thorns from my cranium and
stem the bleeding.

The question is, at which point in the proceedings did they start
laughing? ;-)

Almost immediately :-)

Youngest daughter took immediate action - took a photo on her phone so she
can post a pic on facebook.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The question is, at which point in the proceedings did they start
laughing? ;-)

Almost immediately :-)

Youngest daughter took immediate action - took a photo on her phone so
she can post a pic on facebook.

Don't forget to post a link to it...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=712196649

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

1) When carrying two bags of food from the car to the house, do not trip
over the kerb.

2) Should you trip over the kerb, try not to descend headfirst into a low
level rose bush.

This will result in comments like 'Oh botheration' and cause a 80mm scar
from left eye to cheek bone.

Fortunately my sister in law ( senior staff nurse) and daughter (paramedic)
were on hand to pull assorted thorns from my cranium and stem the bleeding.

Risk assessment; If carrying shopping wear suitable face protection& non
slip footwear.

Don't you feel like a complete prat when you do something like that?

Oh *ouch* !

In the distant past, I've walked into things because I was looking at
the girl and not where I was going. That caused blood on one occasion.

--
Tim

"That the freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament
ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of
Parliament"

Bill of Rights 1689
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2010 13:13, Tim Streater wrote:

In the distant past, I've walked into things because I was looking at
the girl and not where I was going.

Doing a Rowan Atkinson?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-RkuXPj3Q4

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=712196649

Content unavailable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

When my left foot stepped on the hoop, it immediately flipped up
perpendicular to the ground. By this time, my right foot was already
moving through the air, and entered the hoop, which was firmly anchored
to the ground by my body weight.

All within a single ohnosecond, I stumbled, and as my right foot came
off the ground, the hoop was yanked up and over my foot by the force of
my left leg moving forward.

At this point my upper body was still making onward progress at walking
pace, while woefully at the same time my ankles were firmly anchored
together by the plastic hoop. So naturally, down I went in the manner
of a felled telegraph pole.

Had an accident at work?
www.sueing_*******s_and_sharks.com
You keep every penny!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon
wibbled on Sunday 07 March 2010 13:40

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

When my left foot stepped on the hoop, it immediately flipped up
perpendicular to the ground. By this time, my right foot was already
moving through the air, and entered the hoop, which was firmly anchored
to the ground by my body weight.

All within a single ohnosecond, I stumbled, and as my right foot came
off the ground, the hoop was yanked up and over my foot by the force of
my left leg moving forward.

At this point my upper body was still making onward progress at walking
pace, while woefully at the same time my ankles were firmly anchored
together by the plastic hoop. So naturally, down I went in the manner
of a felled telegraph pole.

Had an accident at work?
www.sueing_*******s_and_sharks.com
You keep every penny!

Oh I hate those. Joys of flu (now getting better) is watching daytime TV
semi comatose (that's the right way BTW and thank heavens for Virgin channel
and infinite Star Trek).

So many adverts. One was a woman (it's always women???) getting tangled and
tripping on some some banding tape as another poster mentioned. OK - that
does point towards sloppy procedures.

But another, some other woman (??) slipping on a washed floor. FFS - don't
her eyes work?

Why are we unable to find the happy medium between "Asbestos company doesn't
give a rat's" and "stupid pillock can't see water on floor".

Biggest mistake they ever made was allowing solicitors to advertise. No-win,
no fee has it's place but the advertising just encourages the morons.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Streater
saying something like:

In the distant past, I've walked into things because I was looking at
the girl and not where I was going. That caused blood on one occasion.

Your missus clouted you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=712196649

Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link & it works for me.

Try here
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1528621&ref=mf

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=712196649

Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link & it works for me.

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=712196649
Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link & it works for me.

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as cool as me
:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...hotos/scar.jpg

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as
cool as me :-)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...hotos/scar.jpg

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Ouch.

There is nothing funnier than watching someone trip up and make a fool of
themselves.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 13:30:28 +0000
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=712196649

Content unavailable.

Are you really surprised?

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as
cool as me :-)

Oh, don't get me started on Facebook.... ;-)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...hotos/scar.jpg

Ouch.

There is nothing funnier than watching someone trip up and make a fool
of themselves.

As you can see from the expression on the guy in the background of the
picture

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2010 13:24, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/03/2010 13:13, Tim Streater wrote:

In the distant past, I've walked into things because I was looking at
the girl and not where I was going.

Doing a Rowan Atkinson?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-RkuXPj3Q4

:-)

I've done the first (not the second).

Worse was walking into one of those upside-down-conical flower tubs that
come up the the upper shin. Head first over the tub and lots of blood
running down the leg.

--
Tim

"That the freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament
ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of
Parliament"

Bill of Rights 1689
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2010 14:25, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Streater
saying something like:

In the distant past, I've walked into things because I was looking at
the girl and not where I was going. That caused blood on one occasion.

Your missus clouted you?

Nah. See other post.

--
Tim

"That the freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament
ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of
Parliament"

Bill of Rights 1689

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=712196649

Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link& it works for me.

Try here
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1528621&ref=mf

Need to login to see that.

--
Tim

"That the freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament
ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of
Parliament"

Bill of Rights 1689
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
1) When carrying two bags of food from the car to the house, do not
trip over the kerb.

2) Should you trip over the kerb, try not to descend headfirst into a
low level rose bush.

This will result in comments like 'Oh botheration' and cause a 80mm
scar from left eye to cheek bone.

Fortunately my sister in law ( senior staff nurse) and daughter
(paramedic) were on hand to pull assorted thorns from my cranium and
stem the bleeding.

The question is, at which point in the proceedings did they start
laughing? ;-)

He is about a month early with his crown of thorns.
;-)

And a little cross.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 14:50:04 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as
cool as me :-)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...hotos/scar.jpg

hee-hee! Reminds me of the time when I rode me trike up a slippery concrete
ramp and tipped over into a rose bed - somewhat entangled, embarrassed and
scratched in many places. My Father called out "I hope you haven't damaged
my roses".
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 14:14:24 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Why are we unable to find the happy medium between "Asbestos company doesn't
give a rat's" and "stupid pillock can't see water on floor".

'Woman' in merkinland threw a drink in her boyfriend's face, got up to
storm out and slipped on the liquid that she'd spilt. Sued the resteraunt
and won! Biggest sewers in the world.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
On 07/03/2010 13:24, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/03/2010 13:13, Tim Streater wrote:

In the distant past, I've walked into things because I was looking at
the girl and not where I was going.

Doing a Rowan Atkinson?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-RkuXPj3Q4

:-)

I've done the first (not the second).

Worse was walking into one of those upside-down-conical flower tubs that
come up the the upper shin. Head first over the tub and lots of blood
running down the leg.

What about those black chains you get (not so often these days) hanging
between knee-high concrete posts, esp in car parks - with sharp-pointed
metal studs poking at right-angles through the links (there's no doubt a
name for it).

My Dad came home one evening having tripped over a length of it in a
dark car park, when I was a kid; and I still have vivid memories of the
damage those studs had done to his shins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 14:44:55 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?

v=feed&story_fbid=344425381649&id=581528621#!/photo.php?
pid=4085832&id=712196649
Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link & it works for me.

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as cool
as me :-)

I'm logged in, and I can't see it. Try the link again.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?

v=feed&story_fbid=344425381649&id=581528621#!/photo.php?
pid=4085832&id=712196649
Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link & it works for me.

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as
cool as me :-)

I'm logged in, and I can't see it. Try the link again.

Just did, still works for me. Its on photobucket new, for those less cool
than us :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Don't forget to post a link to it...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?

v=feed&story_fbid=344425381649&id=581528621#!/photo.php?
pid=4085832&id=712196649
Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link & it works for me.

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as
cool as me :-)

I'm logged in, and I can't see it. Try the link again.

Just did, still works for me. Its on photobucket new, for those less cool
than us :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I cannot see it on facebook and I am one of your facebook friends!

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Its on my page
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi... 1181151628..1

No oggling my daughter - I know you and your impure thoughts :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Do you mean the photos of her in the swimsuit?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Presumably only if you're a facebook member?

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as
cool as me :-)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...hotos/scar.jpg

You could at least have had a shave for the photo

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

which is reflected in spiralling insurance costs on yer car ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=712196649

Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link & it works for me.

Of course it will work for you, it's your page.

Try here
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1528621&ref=mf

All I get there is your profile.

No, I can't be arsed being the friend of every ****er on FB.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Ah. Possibly. It hadn't occured to me that others here wern't as
cool as me :-)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...hotos/scar.jpg

That's better!

Bloody 'ell. You're a bit early for the self-flagellation routine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 16:56:04 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?

v=feed&story_fbid=344425381649&id=581528621#!/photo.php?
pid=4085832&id=712196649

Content unavailable.

Just clicked the link & it works for me.

Of course it will work for you, it's your page.

Try here
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=712196649#!/

profile.php?id=581528621&ref=mf

All I get there is your profile.

No, I can't be arsed being the friend of every ****er on FB.

Shouldn't have to. Those links are meant to work for everyone, ragardless
of whether they're on FB. Dave may have his privacy settings wrong.

See if you can get to one of mine...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1106561883