Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Trailer sides, solid or expanded?

I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer with angle sides. Been thinking of
building a ramp and enclosing the sides. WOuld solid 1/8 inch or 3/4
inch expanded be better? The floor is wood.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer with angle sides. Been thinking of
building a ramp and enclosing the sides. WOuld solid 1/8 inch or 3/4
inch expanded be better? The floor is wood.

Check out the weight of your 1/8" steel side panels. 1/2" plywood would be
my choice.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/weight-steel-plate.html
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 9, 10:59*am, "Up North" wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer with angle sides. Been thinking of
building a ramp and enclosing the sides. WOuld solid 1/8 inch or 3/4
inch expanded be better? The floor is wood.

Check out the weight of your 1/8" steel side panels. 1/2" plywood would be
my choice.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/weight-steel-plate.html
Steve

Would painted osb work? How would I attach wood to the angle iron
sides?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer with angle sides. Been thinking of
building a ramp and enclosing the sides. WOuld solid 1/8 inch or 3/4
inch expanded be better? The floor is wood.

Check out the weight of your 1/8" steel side panels. 1/2" plywood would be
my choice.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/weight-steel-plate.html
Steve

Would painted osb work? How would I attach wood to the angle iron
sides?

Carraige bolts and maybe holes in the angle iron?

And it might help if you put nuts and lock washers under the nuts.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer with angle sides. Been thinking of
building a ramp and enclosing the sides. WOuld solid 1/8 inch or 3/4
inch expanded be better? The floor is wood.

Check out the weight of your 1/8" steel side panels. 1/2" plywood would be
my choice.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/weight-steel-plate.html
Steve

Would painted osb work? How would I attach wood to the angle iron
sides?

Um, bolts, maybe, same as anyone else? If you need flat inside, they
sell elevator bolts, like a carriage bolt only with a flat head. You
aren't building a battleship, you want a trailer to be light so you
don't burn up a tank just hauling it over to where you're going to
pick up stuff.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer with angle sides. Been thinking
of building a ramp and enclosing the sides. WOuld solid 1/8 inch or
3/4 inch expanded be better? The floor is wood.

Check out the weight of your 1/8" steel side panels. 1/2" plywood
would be my choice.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/weight-steel-plate.html
Steve

Would painted osb work? How would I attach wood to the angle iron
sides?

OSB works well as a sheathing layer underneath tyvek and siding, but for
your application it will barely be a step above particle board. As you want
a higher degree of strength and resistance to falling apart, you should go
with plywood.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer with angle sides. Been thinking
of building a ramp and enclosing the sides. WOuld solid 1/8 inch or
3/4 inch expanded be better? The floor is wood.

Check out the weight of your 1/8" steel side panels. 1/2" plywood
would be my choice.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/weight-steel-plate.html
Steve

Would painted osb work? How would I attach wood to the angle iron
sides?

OSB works well as a sheathing layer underneath tyvek and siding, but for
your application it will barely be a step above particle board. As you want
a higher degree of strength and resistance to falling apart, you should go
with plywood.

Jon

Consider FRP paneling - thin, light, waterproof, easy to clean, etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer with angle sides. Been thinking of
building a ramp and enclosing the sides. WOuld solid 1/8 inch or 3/4
inch expanded be better? The floor is wood.

Check out the weight of your 1/8" steel side panels. 1/2" plywood would be
my choice.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/weight-steel-plate.html
Steve

Would painted osb work? How would I attach wood to the angle iron
sides?

Um, bolts, maybe, same as anyone else? *If you need flat inside, they
sell elevator bolts, like a carriage bolt only with a flat head. *You
aren't building a battleship, you want a trailer to be light so you
don't burn up a tank just hauling it over to where you're going to
pick up stuff.

Stan- Hide quoted text -

Problem is my angle is not flat or on edge if that makes sense. The
corner sticks out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

"stryped" wrote in message

[...]

I found three sheets of corrugated plastic in the ditch the other day when I
was on my way to the scrapyard with a load of steel. I have been using one
of them to slide under my truck when I was doing some work on the rear
suspension. I used a couple to throw on top of a load of iron to protect my
ratchet straps from being cut. With an angle iron frame, they also would
work great for trailer sides.
http://www.coroplast.com/Plasticor-whitecap.htm
Steve