Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

I found a lathe like I want.
It's in Maynard, MA, in the Boston regional area
I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Do any of you know someone in that area who could pick up this machine
and have it shipped here?
Any guesses as to what it would cost?

A member on another forum looked at it and reported this:
"The seller has no expertise in moving machine tools,
and no equipment with which to do so.
There are three sets of double doors,
50' of linoleum floor,
and 100' of carpet standing between the lathe and a loading dock."

This probably won't work out for me, but any suggestions welcome.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

I found a lathe like I want.
It's in Maynard, MA, in the Boston regional area
I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Do any of you know someone in that area who could pick up this machine
and have it shipped here?
Any guesses as to what it would cost?

A member on another forum looked at it and reported this:
"The seller has no expertise in moving machine tools,
and no equipment with which to do so.
There are three sets of double doors,
50' of linoleum floor,
and 100' of carpet standing between the lathe and a loading dock."

This probably won't work out for me, but any suggestions welcome.

Any local rigger can probably do the job. The one rigger I have used (in
December 2007) is:

Sacco's Specialized Moving
41 Atlantic Ave
Woburn. MA 01801
877-376-9500

The Clausing 5914 looked like a toy on their tilt-bed truck.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll call them
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

I found a lathe like I want.
It's in Maynard, MA, in the Boston regional area
I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Do any of you know someone in that area who could pick up this
machine and have it shipped here?
Any guesses as to what it would cost?

A member on another forum looked at it and reported this:
"The seller has no expertise in moving machine tools,
and no equipment with which to do so.
There are three sets of double doors,
50' of linoleum floor,
and 100' of carpet standing between the lathe and a loading dock."

This probably won't work out for me, but any suggestions welcome.

Any local rigger can probably do the job. The one rigger I have used
(in December 2007) is:

Sacco's Specialized Moving
41 Atlantic Ave
Woburn. MA 01801
877-376-9500

Well, that didn't work out.
Sacco said they don't do that, sent me to "Kenny" at another number, who
gave me a NJ office to call. I didn't. Still looking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

[...]

Oh, well. I have not tried to get someone to pallet and ship something for me.

What does this lathe weigh?

One other place was recommended to me by the same person as recommended Sacco:

Ja Miara Trans Inc.
140 West Street
Wilmington, MA 01887
978-658-3616

I have no experience with Ja Miara.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote in -
september.org:

I found a lathe like I want.
It's in Maynard, MA, in the Boston regional area
I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Do any of you know someone in that area who could pick up this machine
and have it shipped here?
Any guesses as to what it would cost?

A member on another forum looked at it and reported this:
"The seller has no expertise in moving machine tools,
and no equipment with which to do so.
There are three sets of double doors,
50' of linoleum floor,
and 100' of carpet standing between the lathe and a loading dock."

This probably won't work out for me, but any suggestions welcome.

For a local move, I would use D2 Piano Movers. They are used to moving
heavy expensive objects without wreckign the carpet or bashing doors.
The catch is that I don't know if they can crate & ship.

http://www.manta.com/c/mmctqp2/d-2-piano-moving

They moved my lathe & mill from one town to the next about & years ago,
and did a great job for a lot less money than a machinery rigger.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

[...]