DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/302829-wtf-rigger-shipper-boston-area.html)

RBnDFW May 10th 10 03:23 PM

WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

I found a lathe like I want.
It's in Maynard, MA, in the Boston regional area
I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Do any of you know someone in that area who could pick up this machine
and have it shipped here?
Any guesses as to what it would cost?

A member on another forum looked at it and reported this:
"The seller has no expertise in moving machine tools,
and no equipment with which to do so.
There are three sets of double doors,
50' of linoleum floor,
and 100' of carpet standing between the lathe and a loading dock."

This probably won't work out for me, but any suggestions welcome.

Joseph Gwinn May 10th 10 04:32 PM

WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

I found a lathe like I want.
It's in Maynard, MA, in the Boston regional area
I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Do any of you know someone in that area who could pick up this machine
and have it shipped here?
Any guesses as to what it would cost?

A member on another forum looked at it and reported this:
"The seller has no expertise in moving machine tools,
and no equipment with which to do so.
There are three sets of double doors,
50' of linoleum floor,
and 100' of carpet standing between the lathe and a loading dock."

This probably won't work out for me, but any suggestions welcome.

Any local rigger can probably do the job. The one rigger I have used (in
December 2007) is:

Sacco's Specialized Moving
41 Atlantic Ave
Woburn. MA 01801
877-376-9500

The Clausing 5914 looked like a toy on their tilt-bed truck.

Joe Gwinn

RBnDFW May 10th 10 04:56 PM

WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll call them

RBnDFW May 10th 10 07:16 PM

WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

RBnDFW wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

I found a lathe like I want.
It's in Maynard, MA, in the Boston regional area
I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Do any of you know someone in that area who could pick up this
machine and have it shipped here?
Any guesses as to what it would cost?

A member on another forum looked at it and reported this:
"The seller has no expertise in moving machine tools,
and no equipment with which to do so.
There are three sets of double doors,
50' of linoleum floor,
and 100' of carpet standing between the lathe and a loading dock."

This probably won't work out for me, but any suggestions welcome.

Any local rigger can probably do the job. The one rigger I have used
(in December 2007) is:

Sacco's Specialized Moving
41 Atlantic Ave
Woburn. MA 01801
877-376-9500

Well, that didn't work out.
Sacco said they don't do that, sent me to "Kenny" at another number, who
gave me a NJ office to call. I didn't. Still looking

Joseph Gwinn May 10th 10 07:40 PM

WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
RBnDFW wrote:

[...]

Oh, well. I have not tried to get someone to pallet and ship something for me.

What does this lathe weigh?

One other place was recommended to me by the same person as recommended Sacco:

Ja Miara Trans Inc.
140 West Street
Wilmington, MA 01887
978-658-3616

I have no experience with Ja Miara.

Joe Gwinn

Steve Lusardi May 10th 10 09:19 PM

WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

The hot setup to do exactly this is to use a compressed air pallet. They make short work of even the heaviest of machines, as long
as the floor is flat.
Steve

Doug White May 10th 10 11:05 PM

WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

RBnDFW wrote in -
september.org:

I found a lathe like I want.
It's in Maynard, MA, in the Boston regional area
I'm in Fort Worth TX.

Do any of you know someone in that area who could pick up this machine
and have it shipped here?
Any guesses as to what it would cost?

A member on another forum looked at it and reported this:
"The seller has no expertise in moving machine tools,
and no equipment with which to do so.
There are three sets of double doors,
50' of linoleum floor,
and 100' of carpet standing between the lathe and a loading dock."

This probably won't work out for me, but any suggestions welcome.

For a local move, I would use D2 Piano Movers. They are used to moving
heavy expensive objects without wreckign the carpet or bashing doors.
The catch is that I don't know if they can crate & ship.

http://www.manta.com/c/mmctqp2/d-2-piano-moving

They moved my lathe & mill from one town to the next about & years ago,
and did a great job for a lot less money than a machinery rigger.

Doug White

RBnDFW May 11th 10 06:36 PM

WTF Rigger/shipper - Boston area.

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[...]