Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, Getting cash fast?

My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash? Or how
about pre-approved financing? Will financing companies approve you for a set
amount based on book value?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Feb 14, 12:25 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

/
/How about riding together until you have the money?
/
/The common thread for all credit is that it will cost you more than if
/you do the cash route.
/
/TMT

Unfortunately my wife starts work at a late time and stays until closing,
she can get a ride home but not there. My work starts at the normal time
but I stay over as needed, meaning I could carpool to work but wouldn't have
a ride home.

What I would consider is a cash advance on a credit card, paying maybe $150
fee to save around $2000. Another option would be to have financing
pre-approved and buying the car from a private seller, or making a fair
offer to a dealer and let them take it or leave it. If we can't get fast
cash I'll probably wait to buy a car Friday or Saturday. I have a 1988
truck that I hardly trust to go 70 miles per day for a week but it may be
OK.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

/My son got an advance on his tax refund from HR Block three years ago
/and man did he get f'd. He got only 60% of his refund and HRB took the
/rest. I'd wait if I were you

That's a heck of a rip-off. I was thinking about getting a cash advance for
a 3% fee and then paying the card off before the high cash-advance rate was
charged. Or I could balance transfer a portion and use the tax refund money
to pay higher interest balances.

Will an ATM or bank give you a cash advance on a credit card? I don't want
the 20+% interest rate but since I can pay it off in a week it wouldn't
matter.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 1:25*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. *In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. *I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). *But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash? *Or how
about pre-approved financing? Will financing companies approve you for a set
amount based on book value?

RogerN

How about a short-term rental?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 2:37*pm, rangerssuck wrote:
On Feb 14, 1:25*pm, "RogerN" wrote:

My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. *In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. *I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). *But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash? *Or how
about pre-approved financing? Will financing companies approve you for a set
amount based on book value?

RogerN

How about a short-term rental?

That is what I was thinking too.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:34:48 -0600, the renowned "RogerN"
wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

You will pay 20%-ish interest on the entire balance, not just the cash
advance, until ALL the balance is paid off. This is the kind of thing
that gets people into trouble.

If you have a margin brokerage account with some marginable securities
you can borrow against those at a very reasonable rate (as the loan is
fully secured).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

I have a few cards with zero balance, I could get a cash advance, and pay it
back to a zero balance in a weeks time if I can get the cash out instantly.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Consider renting a car for a week until your refund comes in. Sounds like time is what
you are shortest on.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

RogerN- Hide quoted text -

And what if your other car breaks down?

Or an illiness takes you or your wife out?

Or the water heater goes out?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

For now I have two spare vehicles, a 1988 Ford F150 and a 1992 Ford F350
7.3L Diesel. I have spare vehicles but they are more expensive and less
convienient to drive than the daily driver vehicles. Also, reliability is
why I had Prizms, in 13 years the Prizm with 205K miles only left us
stranded 1 time.

/Or an illiness takes you or your wife out?

My finances are set up to not require my wifes income, I'm paying
overpayments on everything trying to get everything paid off.

/Or the water heater goes out?
/
/TMT

I've pretty much always have enough money to replace a water heater. If
things get desperate I'll make minimum payment on items. I can also use
credit if I have to until I can sell some stuff. I put my Case 580 backhoe
on craigslist today.

I'm trying to get it so me and my wife both have reliable vehicles and have
a spare auto to use when one needs service. All this while also trying to
keep my finances where I can make ends meet without the wife's income. The
prizm has worked out well for me, I had 5 years of payments and 13 years of
transportation out of the 97. The 2001 got deer totaled last year after
only being paid off a couple of years but I replaced it with a 96 Honda
Civic, also reliable and no car payment.

To expedite my debt reduction I plan to try to sell my backhoe, the 1988
F150, and maybe the jon boat this year.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over
being forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. I've found
several auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I
like better from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower
miles, $2k less). But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me
leverage at the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash? Or how
about pre-approved financing? Will financing companies approve you for a
set amount based on book value?

RogerN

Check with the bank you deal with and see if they will pre-approve you for a
loan, and pay it off when you want. Last vehicle I bought I had a trade in,
and wrote a bad check for $12,000 and went to the bank the next day to get
the loan finalized. You will need a good relationship with your bank to do
this.
Another thing to consider, how far does the wife, or you, drive to work?
Short distance? Call a taxi!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

" For now I have two spare vehicles, a 1988 Ford F150 and a 1992 Ford
F350 7.3L Diesel. I have spare vehicles but they are more expensive and
less convienient to drive than the daily driver vehicles. Also,
reliability is why I had Prizms, in 13 years the Prizm with 205K miles
only left us stranded 1 time.

RogerN

What? Your wife can not drive of of these vehicles for a few days??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

" For now I have two spare vehicles, a 1988 Ford F150 and a 1992 Ford
F350 7.3L Diesel. I have spare vehicles but they are more expensive and
less convienient to drive than the daily driver vehicles. Also,
reliability is why I had Prizms, in 13 years the Prizm with 205K miles
only left us stranded 1 time.

RogerN

What? Your wife can not drive of of these vehicles for a few days??

The F150 is manual transmission and she can't drive it. The F350 4X4 has
the biggest tires that fit without a lift kit, I'd like for her to drive it
around a bit to get used to it before sending her out in the traffic and
tight parking with it. To me, setting up so high makes it seem much wider
than it actually is. The F350 4X4 is big, bulky and a lot different than
driving a Prizm or Civic. However, if there isn't an easy way to get quick
cash then I'll drive one of the trucks to work this week. I'm better off
paying the extra gas $$ than trying to rent something. I'm not sure how to
explain it but if she's uncomfortable driving something she's much more
likely to make mistakes.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 3:54 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

If you have the extras, then why the hurry to buy something else..and
at a premium?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 5:54*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
"Greg O" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Roger...make teaching your wife to drive the manual transmission a
priority.

And then make her drive anything else you have on a regular basis so
she is comfortable with it.

I have seen several instances where the ability to drive what was
there a life and death matter when a family member was injured/had a
heartattack.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:25:21 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash? Or how
about pre-approved financing? Will financing companies approve you for a set
amount based on book value?

RogerN

=========
some good observations [and some not so good] in the posts.

One thing to consider is a rental car [rent--a-wreck, not a high
dollar major]. This will tide you over until the check comes.
Compare credit v rental costs.

You might be able to cut a deal with the car dealer for a
"rent-a-wreck" until the cash arrives for an actual sale. What's
the worst he can say?

Also what happens if the check is late/delayed? Those "late
payment" credit card fees & charges give the Sopranos "interest
envy."

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/14/2010 1:25 PM, RogerN wrote:
My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work.

I don't know where you are, but in many locations car rentals are pretty
reasonable. Rent for the rest of the week, get your refund and buy what
you want without any financial shenanigans.

As for the next question, I once had a Prizm that was rear ended. Still
drivable. The insurance company considered it scrap worth $75. I paid
the insurance company $75 for the car, and drove it until the insurance
company paid the replacement value and I replaced it.
At 205,000 miles, the parts are at the end of the design life.

This is worth what it cost.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 12:25*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. *In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. *I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). *But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash? *Or how
about pre-approved financing? Will financing companies approve you for a set
amount based on book value?

RogerN

I hope your wife is okay.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash? Or how
about pre-approved financing? Will financing companies approve you for a set
amount based on book value?

RogerN

If she was not the cause of the accident, the other driver is
responsible for payment of a rental car for a reasonable amount of time.
This has been the law in every state I have lived in.
This is also a good reason to have your car towed from a accident if it
wasn't your fault. If you drive it away you have transportation.\ and
the other person's insurance will not pay.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 2/14/2010 1:25 PM, RogerN wrote:
My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work.

I don't know where you are, but in many locations car rentals are pretty
reasonable. Rent for the rest of the week, get your refund and buy what
you want without any financial shenanigans.

As for the next question, I once had a Prizm that was rear ended. Still
drivable. The insurance company considered it scrap worth $75. I paid the
insurance company $75 for the car, and drove it until the insurance
company paid the replacement value and I replaced it.
At 205,000 miles, the parts are at the end of the design life.

This is worth what it cost.

Kevin Gallimore

We have a couple of spare vehicles right now so I'm going to drive one of
them until we get something to replace her car. Working with my finances
tonight shows I'll probably only be able to put $2K-$3K down payment, if I
sell the Backhoe right away I'll be able to pay the financed vehicle off
right away.

I don't see a functional car being only worth $75, the core values for the
battery, starter, alternator, and maybe fuel pump should be worth almost
that much, not to mention a set of wheels & tires, running engine, working
transmission, doors, power windows, glass...

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John" wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
[...]

She was at fault, an animal ran out in front of her, she tried to miss it
and ended up in the wrong lane where a truck appeared over a hill.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Thanks, Yeah, I'm glad it was just the car that got hurt. She's been
complaining about a sore neck but I guess that's expected.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 10:07*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Good to hear she is okay.

Cars are replaceable, people are not.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

Rent a car for a week. There are rentals for not that much a day. Rent a
Wreck etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash?

Yes. Check with your credit card issuers. All of mine would be quite
happy to have me increase my outstanding balance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Are their credit card cash advances that actually give you cash? Or how
about pre-approved financing? Will financing companies approve you for a set
amount based on book value?

RogerN

Go rent an older car by the week for the wife to drive at
"Rent-A-Wreck", and get the auto insurer to pick up the tab if you
can. A weekly-rate car will cost you a WHOLE LOT LESS than playing
games with cash advances and 'Rapid Refund' from a tax preparer.

And any car deal that you negotiate in a rush because you have to
get the car Right Now is going to burn you too, The car dealers can
see you coming a quarter mile away, and they have lots of ways to bury
extra profits in the deal.

ANY deal that you do in a rush is going to burn you, usually badly.
You have given up your right to walk away from a bad deal, and they
know it.

My Dad thought he could do the same thing and sign for high interest
rate Dealer Financing to pick up the motorhome Now so he could use it
for work that much sooner, then turn around and get a regular car loan
from the bank to pay it off that would take about a week - the Dealer
said it would cost him about $250 to unwind it "If he could find a
better deal."

The Dealer LIED. Getting that New Motorhome Smell a week early cost
him $3,000+ to terminate the first loan early.

I'm pretty sure he would have lost far less by simply not working
for that week, the commissions could not have been that much.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My wife had an auto accident Friday and now needs something to drive to
work. In short, I should get my income tax money this Friday, I'm wanting
to get cash now and pay it off this Friday, it will save me $2000 over being
forced to buy from a dealer for the auto we are wanting. I've found several
auto's I like at dealers for the $7K-$8K range, I found some I like better
from individuals for the $5K range (same model, newer, lower miles, $2k
less). But either way I go about it, having the cash gives me leverage at
the dealer or the option to buy from a private seller.

Send her to work in a taxi for a couple of days, would cost much
less than $2k and will give you time to find the right car.

alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 22:06:06 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
[...]

Never swerve for animals (unless it's a moose) they are just as
likely to change direction and get hit as you try to avoid them. Even
hitting a deer is most times better than hitting a tree or another
car.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"John" wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
[...]

Never swerve for animals (unless it's a moose, cow or a large pig)

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
[...]

I aim at them and blow the horn. It seems that if you try to hit them
you never will. My experience has been that if you try to miss them,
they move back into your direction of travel.

The black and white ones you surely don't want to hit.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that RogerN fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:34:48 -0600:

/My son got an advance on his tax refund from HR Block three years ago
/and man did he get f'd. He got only 60% of his refund and HRB took the
/rest. I'd wait if I were you

That's a heck of a rip-off. I was thinking about getting a cash advance for
a 3% fee and then paying the card off before the high cash-advance rate was
charged.

Good luck with that. The high cash rate starts the second you get the
cash. No grace period.

So if that is what you do, don't wait for a bill. Get the address and
mail a check right away.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Too_Many_Tools fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:37:03 -0800 (PST):

The F150 is manual transmission and she can't drive it. *
RogerN-

Roger...make teaching your wife to drive the manual transmission a
priority.

And then make her drive anything else you have on a regular basis so
she is comfortable with it.

Um, how about "encourage her".

I have seen several instances where the ability to drive what was
there a life and death matter when a family member was injured/had a
heartattack.

yep.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Cars are replaceable, people are not.

TMT

You sure about that? Ask my ex-wife if she was replacable! ;-)
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

The black and white ones you surely don't want to hit.

I almost hit one of those. 30 years in northern michigan and no deer strikes. 26K miles
a year driving on average often on back roads.

Ever try to make a cow move? Eventually I annoyed it enough that it walked back to the
electric fence and did a low crawl under it. All those other cows on the other side of
the wire running over and watching me was a bit spooky.

Okay, it was a young cow but still a cow. Way bigger than a whitetail.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
john wrote:

The black and white ones you surely don't want to hit.

I almost hit one of those. 30 years in northern michigan and no deer
strikes. 26K miles
a year driving on average often on back roads.

Ever try to make a cow move? Eventually I annoyed it enough that it
walked back to the
electric fence and did a low crawl under it. All those other cows on the
other side of
the wire running over and watching me was a bit spooky.

No, but my ex-cow divorced me :-)

Okay, it was a young cow but still a cow. Way bigger than a whitetail.

Wes

My ex-cow has a big wide tail, when she sits around the house, she sits
_around_ the house! Know what she put behind her ears to attract men? Her
ankles! Know the difference between my ex and a Cadillac? Not everyone has
been in a Cadillac!

Oops, sorry, just some ex jokes :-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:12:51 -0500, Wes wrote:

john wrote:

The black and white ones you surely don't want to hit.

I almost hit one of those. 30 years in northern michigan and no deer strikes. 26K miles
a year driving on average often on back roads.

I hit 4 in 1 yr when growing up in Michigan. Nailed two of them at the
same time, then a month later, hit another and 3 months later..had the
4th one come through the windshield. That Olds Dynamic 88 could sure
smack deer clear over the roof..except for the last one. One of the
reasons I never moved back to Grayling.

Though putting a set of heavy duty "brush guards" on a pickup (all I
drive anymore) would make a great deal of sense.

Now I only hit bunnies and when riding the BMW scooter..coyotes on a
fairly regular basis.

Gunner

Ever try to make a cow move? Eventually I annoyed it enough that it walked back to the
electric fence and did a low crawl under it. All those other cows on the other side of
the wire running over and watching me was a bit spooky.

Okay, it was a young cow but still a cow. Way bigger than a whitetail.

Wes

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.