Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coolant tank materials

Ok... I have cobbled together an idea in my mind for a pressurized coolant
system with relatively easy recovery. Two tanks. One is a pressurized tank
for coolant with a pickup near the bottom of the tank. (Also a large drain
for flushing). The other is a collection tank for run off from the machine.
A large filter assemble keeps chips out of the recovery tank. When the
recovery tank starts to get full you close a valve from the filter, open a
valve to the pressure vessel, and the pressure equalizes allowing the
collected lubricant to flow into the pressure tank. When done just reverse.
Close the valve between the tanks and slowly open the one from the filter.

A little crude experimentation has shown that relatively low pressure and
volume is needed to work a rig like this.

You do not even need a fill port on the pressure tank when coolant runs low.
Just pour it into the recovery tank. Air pressure does the work. My
thoughts are that with pure oil based lubricant coolants (can't use a water
based on my mill) there is no risk of ignition. No vapor or mist with a
liquid stream, and no potential ignition source as part of the coolant
system like a pump motor.

My concerns are what materials easily at hand to use for the tanks.
Obviously would need to be impervious to oil, and other petroleum
distillates and water displacers. Also, not likely to fail
catastrophically. I'm thinking aluminum or steel. I would be open to other
ideas for materials. I would probably have to make the tanks to size and
area available.

I know I am probably re-inventing the wheel here, but it's a fun mental
exercise if nothing else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:57:26 -0700, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

My concerns are what materials easily at hand to use for the tanks.

A couple of scrap fire extinguishers?

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My concerns are what materials easily at hand to use for the tanks.

A couple of scrap fire extinguishers?

That is not a horrible idea at all. Heck they are cheap enough these days
for the small ones that I could just waste a couple. I'll have to study how
the heads go on and see if there are any elegant applications there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 6, 5:57*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

My concerns are what materials easily at hand to use for the tanks.
Obviously would need to be impervious to oil, and other petroleum
distillates and water displacers. *Also, not likely to fail
catastrophically. *I'm thinking aluminum or steel. *I would be open to other
ideas for materials. *I would probably have to make the tanks to size and
area available.

I know I am probably re-inventing the wheel here, but it's a fun mental
exercise if nothing else.

How big do you want the tanks? What about propane tanks? Either the
5 gallon ones or the little disposable tanks.

The five gallon propane tanks have valves that screw into a standard
pipe thread.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 5:57 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

My concerns are what materials easily at hand to use for the tanks.
Obviously would need to be impervious to oil, and other petroleum
distillates and water displacers. Also, not likely to fail
catastrophically. I'm thinking aluminum or steel. I would be open to
other
ideas for materials. I would probably have to make the tanks to size and
area available.

I know I am probably re-inventing the wheel here, but it's a fun mental
exercise if nothing else.

How big do you want the tanks?

I was think gallon and a half for the pressure tank and about a gallon for
the recover tank.

What about propane tanks?

Not a bad idea. They can certainly stand the pressure if you can get all
the goo out of them.

Either the
5 gallon ones

And there are plenty of them around with the old style valves cheap enough.
However, I have never figured out a way one of us ordinary guys can get the
stupid valve out.

or the little disposable tanks.

A little small, but maybe workable gotta think about it. Initially I'll
want the whol thing small enough I can move it between my lathe and my mill.
If it works I would build two of them.

The five gallon propane tanks have valves that screw into a standard
pipe thread.

If you can get the old valve out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 6, 6:31*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

[...]

Maybe the disposable helium or freon tanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 6, 11:31*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

The five gallon propane tanks have valves that screw into a standard
pipe thread.

If you can get the old valve out.

It can be done. I have made air tanks out of a couple of propane
tanks.

But for the size you want, you might be able to find a couple of
stainless steel garden sprayers that are used for spraying weed
killer.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:59:50 -0800 (PST), Jesse wrote:

On Jan 6, 6:31*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
wrote...
On Jan 6, 5:57 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

What about propane tanks?

Not a bad idea. *They can certainly stand the pressure if you can get all
the goo out of them.

The trick is neutralizing the methyl mercaptan (sulfur compound)
stink without having every homeowner within five miles calling the
Fire Department screaming "Gas leak! Big One! Get out here!!!"

(Can also be Ethyl Mercaptan or Butyl Mercaptan...)

Hydrogen peroxide and chlorine bleach are supposed to neutralize
mercaptans - but not both at the same time... Don't let it spill into
the earth, or the stink can persist for months.

And there are plenty of them around with the old style valves cheap enough.
However, I have never figured out a way one of us ordinary guys can get the
stupid valve out.

Big open end wrench to the square boss on the base of the valve,
make your own out of plate with "flare wrench" tangs at the open end
to grip all four corners - it's brass, it will round off in a
heartbeat if you don't. I saw a factory wrench at one propane dealer
(probably from the valve supplier) another one made his own.

And you make a big Chain Wrench out of a chain binder to hold the
tank steady to a post. It's standard 3/4" NPT, IIRC.

You can get weld-on tank bungs from McMaster Carr - you'll need a few
3/4" bungs for the bottom of the top tank to fill into the second, and
then other 3/4" bungs for the "outlet" and "drain".

And a few smaller ones, 1/4" or 3/8" for the "air fill" and "air
vent" for both tanks. If you want to rig a level sight glass, two
weld bung fittings, two 90-degree tube X NPT fittings, and some clear
polyethylene tube.

Then a few chunks of steel angle or tubing welded between the tanks,
so the entire weight isn't resting on the nipples and ball valve
between the two tanks.

or the little disposable tanks.

A little small, but maybe workable gotta think about it. *Initially I'll
want the whol thing small enough I can move it between my lathe and my mill.
If it works I would build two of them.

The five gallon propane tanks have valves that screw into a standard
pipe thread.

If you can get the old valve out.

Maybe the disposable helium or freon tanks.

Nah, too thin. They are a bit too disposable, they'll rust through
without much of an excuse. Plus, you'll have to weld up the rupture
disc on the top, or it will rust through right there.

-- Bruce --

Way oil and flood coolant Ignoramus28270 Metalworking 11 January 31st 09 01:58 AM
ANQOTD: Coolant or oil? Gil HASH Metalworking 13 November 7th 05 02:16 PM
Where Coolant? Dave Metalworking 1 June 4th 05 04:55 PM
Lathe coolant Tim Aberegg Metalworking 3 March 23rd 05 02:31 AM
Projection TV coolant? George R. Gonzalez Electronics Repair 4 March 10th 04 06:13 PM