Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jesse[_5_] Jesse[_5_] is offline

Default Coolant tank materials

On Jan 6, 6:31*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 6, 5:57 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

My concerns are what materials easily at hand to use for the tanks.
Obviously would need to be impervious to oil, and other petroleum
distillates and water displacers. *Also, not likely to fail
catastrophically. *I'm thinking aluminum or steel. *I would be open to
other
ideas for materials. *I would probably have to make the tanks to size and
area available.

I know I am probably re-inventing the wheel here, but it's a fun mental
exercise if nothing else.

How big do you want the tanks?

I was think gallon and a half for the pressure tank and about a gallon for
the recover tank.

What about propane tanks?

Not a bad idea. *They can certainly stand the pressure if you can get all
the goo out of them.

* Either the

5 gallon ones

And there are plenty of them around with the old style valves cheap enough.
However, I have never figured out a way one of us ordinary guys can get the
stupid valve out.

or the little disposable tanks.

A little small, but maybe workable gotta think about it. *Initially I'll
want the whol thing small enough I can move it between my lathe and my mill.
If it works I would build two of them.

The five gallon propane tanks have valves that screw into a standard
pipe thread.

If you can get the old valve out.

Maybe the disposable helium or freon tanks.