Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Way oil and flood coolant

I have been using flood coolant in the last couple of weeks.

I have made two observations:

1) Way oil was washed away and ended up in the tank, becoming tramp
oil and covering up the coolant.

To fight off that tramp oil, I bought a skimmer from a local place in
Bensenville, which seems to do a great job.

2) Despite that, the coolant seems to be protective from rust and the
lathe does not seem to rust where oil was washed away. So the
corrosion inhibitors in coolant continue to work.

Since two weeks is not really enough to make any conclusions, I want
to ask anyone if the coolant offers enough lubrication and rust
protection to the lathe bed. Or, perhaps, I need to continue to use
way oil and should dutifully skim off off the liquid in the tank?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28270" wrote in message
I have been using flood coolant in the last couple of weeks.

I have made two observations:

1) Way oil was washed away and ended up in the tank, becoming tramp
oil and covering up the coolant.

To fight off that tramp oil, I bought a skimmer from a local place in
Bensenville, which seems to do a great job.

2) Despite that, the coolant seems to be protective from rust and the
lathe does not seem to rust where oil was washed away. So the
corrosion inhibitors in coolant continue to work.

Since two weeks is not really enough to make any conclusions, I want
to ask anyone if the coolant offers enough lubrication and rust
protection to the lathe bed. Or, perhaps, I need to continue to use
way oil and should dutifully skim off off the liquid in the tank?

Coolant isn't lubricant - keep skmming.
You'll also want to maintain your coolant. Use a refractometer to check it
frequently and if you want to aerate the tank to keep the anaerobic
bacterial content down you might be happier. The bacteria that lives on
waylube is nasty and hard to get rid of once it gets a foot hold.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28270 fired this volley
in :

Or, perhaps, I need to continue to use
way oil and should dutifully skim off off the liquid in the tank?

There's a really good reason tramp skimmers came to be. Way oil is
necessary -- period.

Lack of it is often why machines end up needing re-scraping before they
should.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-29, John R. Carroll jcarroll@ubu wrote:

[...]

The air tank for aeration (fishtank pump) is coming and will be
installed.

So, you are basically saying, use way lube, use skimmer and aerate,
right?

Should I just put it on timer to run a couple of times a day? My own
plan was to run aerator constantly, and run skimmer for an hour a day,
or something like that.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
On 2009-01-29, John R. Carroll jcarroll@ubu wrote:

[...]

Yep.
There are also anti bacterials and fungicides you can use if you want to go
that route.

Should I just put it on timer to run a couple of times a day? My own
plan was to run aerator constantly, and run skimmer for an hour a day,
or something like that.

The skimmer should run any time the machine is operating. but wait for Wes
to respond.
I'll bet he can give you chapter and verse on this.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:14:03 -0600, Ignoramus28270
wrote:

Should I just put it on timer to run a couple of times a day? My own
plan was to run aerator constantly, and run skimmer for an hour a day,
or something like that.

On the 6 compartment, 15 gallon coolant tank for my grinder, I run the
aquarium pump on a timer. Fifteen minutes run at three hour intervals seems to
be more than enough to keep the nasties away. There's a manifold so that I've
got an air brick in each compartment. Running all the time will cause a lot of
evaporation for little extra benefit.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Should I just put it on timer to run a couple of times a day? My own
plan was to run aerator constantly, and run skimmer for an hour a day,
or something like that.

The skimmer should run any time the machine is operating. but wait for Wes
to respond.
I'll bet he can give you chapter and verse on this.

I'd do as John said. You really don't put that much oil into the sump. I'm assuming this
is an engine lathe.

On our Cnc's we tend to leave the skimmers running during the work week whether the
machine is running or not running. The oil goes into a bucket. CNC's with box ways and
some ball ways have oilers that shoot a shot every so many minutes while the control is
on. A whole lot more oil to deal with than you are generating.

Over the weekend we turn them off since there isn't anyone to empty the buckets and it
makes a mess by sunday night startup DAMHIKT, I started up the plant for 6 years.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On the 6 compartment, 15 gallon coolant tank for my grinder, I run the
aquarium pump on a timer. Fifteen minutes run at three hour intervals seems to
be more than enough to keep the nasties away. There's a manifold so that I've
got an air brick in each compartment. Running all the time will cause a lot of
evaporation for little extra benefit.

On my machines, i found just running the skimmer when the machine was
on was not enough, so i have both the air and skim on for one shot of
15 minutes per day. werks fer me

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Two questions:
1) Anyone got plans to build a skimmer? Those suckers are waaay too
pricey for what they do.
2) Whaddya do with the scavenged oil? Seems to me it'd be unsuitable
to simply be slopped back in the way oil tank. What further steps are needed
to make it reusable?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Do us a favor and rescue
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a doggie or three...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-30, steamer wrote:
--Two questions:
1) Anyone got plans to build a skimmer? Those suckers are waaay too
pricey for what they do.
2) Whaddya do with the scavenged oil? Seems to me it'd be unsuitable
to simply be slopped back in the way oil tank. What further steps are needed
to make it reusable?

I cannot imagine that it could be reusable, based on my results with
my skimmer.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

2) Whaddya do with the scavenged oil? Seems to me it'd be unsuitable
to simply be slopped back in the way oil tank. What further steps are needed
to make it reusable?

Well, if you get enough coolant out, an oil drip into your shops wood stove comes to mind.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 05:50:21 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On the 6 compartment, 15 gallon coolant tank for my grinder, I run the
aquarium pump on a timer. Fifteen minutes run at three hour intervals seems to
be more than enough to keep the nasties away. There's a manifold so that I've
got an air brick in each compartment. Running all the time will cause a lot of
evaporation for little extra benefit.

On my machines, i found just running the skimmer when the machine was
on was not enough, so i have both the air and skim on for one shot of
15 minutes per day. werks fer me

karl

Yes, the important bit is the "when the machine was not on". When the coolant
is running, it gets oxygenated and stirred up. When it's sitting idle the
pollywoggles are breeding like crazy and making it stink :-0

Mark Rand
RTFM

Flood coolant on Clausing lathe Ignoramus10426 Metalworking 10 January 11th 09 08:15 PM
keeping flood coolant under control Tove Momerathsson[_2_] Metalworking 3 January 16th 08 03:04 PM
Flood Coolant for Diamond wheel Ken Cutt Metalworking 2 April 12th 06 06:15 AM
Flood Coolant Ken Cutt Metalworking 7 May 29th 05 03:35 AM
Call me crazy (using hydraulic oil as a flood coolant) William G Darby Metalworking 19 August 16th 03 06:20 PM