Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Default Flood Coolant for Diamond wheel

What are the options for this ? I know water soluble is one . Are there
any other ? Is everything else a poor second ? I am helping guy set up
a profile grinder for molder knives . The building might not be heated
come winter is the reason I am asking . Any other tips I can pass along
about using a diamond wheel ? Actually this machine came with a couple
of dozen wheels to fit various set-ups .
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Ken Cutt wrote:

What are the options for this ? I know water soluble is one . Are there
any other ? Is everything else a poor second ? I am helping guy set up
a profile grinder for molder knives . The building might not be heated
come winter is the reason I am asking . Any other tips I can pass along
about using a diamond wheel ? Actually this machine came with a couple
of dozen wheels to fit various set-ups .
Ken Cutt

Hope those knives are carbide. Diamonds are carbon and ferrous metals
absorb carbon and your wheel will wear away very shortly. If you are
cutting steel use a cbn wheel.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

John wrote:
Ken Cutt wrote:

What are the options for this ? I know water soluble is one . Are there
any other ? Is everything else a poor second ? I am helping guy set up
a profile grinder for molder knives . The building might not be heated
come winter is the reason I am asking . Any other tips I can pass along
about using a diamond wheel ? Actually this machine came with a couple
of dozen wheels to fit various set-ups .
Ken Cutt

Hope those knives are carbide. Diamonds are carbon and ferrous metals
absorb carbon and your wheel will wear away very shortly. If you are
cutting steel use a cbn wheel.

John

I can not say about all the knives as it is not my machine but I can
guess that the bulk of the knives will be tool steel . I thought
grinding steel with diamond was ok as long as you keep everything cool ?
No planer mill I ever heard of could afford the bulk of their knives to
be carbide . As an example . This one machine has 6 cutter heads with
(guessing as I have not counted ) 14 cutters per head . Thats a lot of
carbide . I would like any info at all as I have never used a diamond
wheel . If they will not do tool steel , well that would be information
well worth knowing . Thanks
Ken Cutt

Flood Coolant Ken Cutt Metalworking 7 May 29th 05 03:35 AM
Noob Lathe Q: Turning between centers B.B. Metalworking 53 March 10th 05 08:53 PM
What is the proper tool/method Roger Hull Metalworking 36 April 26th 04 05:36 PM
Grinding Wheels Jamrelliot Metalworking 21 January 7th 04 05:39 PM
Call me crazy (using hydraulic oil as a flood coolant) William G Darby Metalworking 19 August 16th 03 06:20 PM