Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coolant tank materials

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 5:57 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

My concerns are what materials easily at hand to use for the tanks.
Obviously would need to be impervious to oil, and other petroleum
distillates and water displacers. Also, not likely to fail
catastrophically. I'm thinking aluminum or steel. I would be open to
other
ideas for materials. I would probably have to make the tanks to size and
area available.

I know I am probably re-inventing the wheel here, but it's a fun mental
exercise if nothing else.

How big do you want the tanks?

I was think gallon and a half for the pressure tank and about a gallon for
the recover tank.

What about propane tanks?

Not a bad idea. They can certainly stand the pressure if you can get all
the goo out of them.

Either the
5 gallon ones

And there are plenty of them around with the old style valves cheap enough.
However, I have never figured out a way one of us ordinary guys can get the
stupid valve out.

or the little disposable tanks.

A little small, but maybe workable gotta think about it. Initially I'll
want the whol thing small enough I can move it between my lathe and my mill.
If it works I would build two of them.

The five gallon propane tanks have valves that screw into a standard
pipe thread.

If you can get the old valve out.