Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine Builders in Monteal / French Speaking?

We are receiving a good number of business inquiries from the French
speaking portion of Canada. Would love to work with anyone here who can
speak the language.

We will "hold your hand" during the process and quote directly to you for
the customer. You would get a distributor or OEM discount from AutoDrill
and we would send French speaking customers to you when necessary.

Basic knowledge of machinery would be good. Knowledge about drilling,
reaming, tapping, etc. all a plus.

Thoughts? Interest?

Google translate works for me with the basic jobs, but anything beyond the
basics needs a real live person IMHO.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:12:43 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

We are receiving a good number of business inquiries from the French
speaking portion of Canada. Would love to work with anyone here who can
speak the language.

We will "hold your hand" during the process and quote directly to you for
the customer. You would get a distributor or OEM discount from AutoDrill
and we would send French speaking customers to you when necessary.

Basic knowledge of machinery would be good. Knowledge about drilling,
reaming, tapping, etc. all a plus.

Thoughts? Interest?

Google translate works for me with the basic jobs, but anything beyond the
basics needs a real live person IMHO.

My opinion? They are customers and potential customers, sure, so you
do your level best to work with them and fulfill their needs - even go
take a French course and/or hire someone bilingual. But if they
insist on not even knowing functional conversational English, they're
being insular and obstinate and want to be patronized, and I would be
very hesitant in doing the patronizing...

I don't like being knowingly put in the position of being pwned. It's
never a fun place to be. Make them meet you halfway.

The vast majority of the Quebecois were born and raised in Canada,
an English Speaking Country. Yet their parents were on a "Quebecois
Uber Alles!" kick and either didn't teach them English or instilled a
hatred of Those Other People and encouraged them to hide the knowledge
and not use it.

Hey, Quebec! France is 8,000 miles over that-a-way. ----

(But I'll bet you already knew that, and it's why you are in North
America. Suck it up and join the rest of the club, we speak English
as our first language, and that's what the government operates on.)

It's a very convenient dodge - if you want money from some people, the
easy response is "No Se Habla Ingles!" and they walk away. And
without proof to the contrary, or knowledge of their native language,
you have to let them. Offer to hand *them* money though, and all of a
sudden they display perfectly functional English language skills. Gee,
who'd have thunk it?

Write the contract in English and get it translated for their
convenience - but they sign the English copy.

Besides, the "romance languages" are wonderful for making romance,
but totally lousy for conducting business. Only in French or German
can it take a whole paragraph or an atrocious 100-letter compound word
construct (Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!) to describe something
simple like "computer" or "cellphone" or "PDA" - which is why you
often see them reverse-adopting the English term or acronym with a
French or German suffix tacked on.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That reminds me..I..blush..for the first time, actually looked at your
website. Nicely done btw.

I just remembered Ive quite a number of pneumatic drilling heads. From
small to large. Some air driven, most electric motor driven.
Self feeding, self retracting etc etc

Is there any market for them? Them came off of operating machinery that
was taken apart

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What Bruce said . . . .

Don't patronize the French speakers or any others in the transaction of international business.
Clarity of thought and technical description is pivotal in business language. That is why English
is the world's official business language. But, OTOH, as Bruce suggested, German can be used to a
limited extent. German words are pictographic expressions constructed from English; such as
brassiere translates to "holdsemfromfloppin" and etc.

Bob Swinney

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
What Bruce said . . . .

Don't patronize the French speakers or any others in the transaction of
international business.
Clarity of thought and technical description is pivotal in business
language. That is why English
is the world's official business language. But, OTOH, as Bruce suggested,
German can be used to a
limited extent. German words are pictographic expressions constructed
from English; such as
brassiere translates to "holdsemfromfloppin" and etc.

Bob Swinney

these attitudes are EXACTLY why we are losing market share world wide -
customer service means exactly that - if the customer wants to speak French,
so be it - or Thai, or urdu, or tamil, or whatever it is - the provider's
job includes making the customer relationship special as well as offering
the product or service desired.

and I assure you French is perfectly fine for business and technical work -
did you ever hear of Lavoisier?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:11:25 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You act as though we should ignore them, no we should not. They get
the same effort to satisfy their needs as anyone else, if not a bit
more. But they need to make the effort to work with us, too.

It's the same problem we have in several areas of Los Angeles -
there are a substantial number and variety of second and third
generation immigrant families (both Latin American and Asian and
Mideastern, it's not isolated to one community) who remain insular and
base their lives around their home countries and languages, and
isolate their activities to small communities. Will not be bothered
learning English themselves, will not teach their children English,
will not speak it in their home or allow it to be spoken in response,
won't speak it where they shop or worship.

About the only exposure the children get is at school, and frankly
that isn't enough.

There are immigrant and naturalized parents raising US Citizens with
sub-par or barely functional or even non-existent English skills, by
choice. And if they stay in their little insular community
exclusively, they can get away with it.

The "Melting Pot" model has been co-opted into the "Ethnic Ghetto"
model. They either just don't get it, or consciously choose not to.

The Melting Pot is how we built a strong country and a vibrant
economy for 200-plus years, because people are investing and building
for their future here, and are always considering the effects of their
decisions and actions on their children's and grandchildren's future.

The Ethnic Ghetto workers are not into building a nicer USA, because
many still consider their home country their true home. They are here
only to stash away and/or wire home every dime they can make, so they
can cash out and go back to their home country and live like a king on
what would be a pauper's retirement here. And they set their children
and grandchildren up to follow in their footsteps.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
om...
[...]

snip

The Ethnic Ghetto workers are not into building a nicer USA, because
many still consider their home country their true home. They are here
only to stash away and/or wire home every dime they can make, so they
can cash out and go back to their home country and live like a king on
what would be a pauper's retirement here. And they set their children
and grandchildren up to follow in their footsteps.

-- Bruce --

I am well aware of non-english speaking persons in Los Angeles - including
korean, vietnamese, indian (three dialects), and of course various south
american indian languages. However, whether you, I, or anyone else likes
it, if you want to sell a product or a service, you do better making your
customer feel wanted. I see this happen up close, and if you don't want
these people to be YOUR customer, then someone else will take them on and
make them THEIR customer - and often that someone else is in a different
country and it hurts our nation as a whole.

Solve the social problems separately from business problems or we will fail
at both.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The only issue with your VERY CORRECT... for the most part posting..is
Asian kids. With the exception of some of the H'mong and a few other
small groups...most Asians are desperate to get their kids Highly
educated and as far up the food chain as possible.

Latinos who have been here for up to 20 yrs or more..are simply here as
you said..to make bucks and then go Home and retire. In my role as a guy
servicing the machine/manufacturing industry..Im fascinated by just how
many such Latinos rose to the top over the years, cashed in, sold their
very nice house and moved back to Mexico. The minority becoming US
citizens..and even a large number of them going back to Mexico..as
Mexico considers them to still be Mexican dual citizens.

First generation Middle easterners..yes indeed. By the time the 3rd
generation hits...they are pretty good Citizens..except for the few that
become suicide bombers.......cringe.....

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:48:26 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

.. .

news:a7KdnfSdu54jYqDWnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@giganews. com...
[...]

There are few business problems with them, actually. They learn American
Business quite well. Its the other that they have deep issues with.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That reminds me..I..blush..for the first time, actually looked at your
website. Nicely done btw.

Thank you. Our flagship site is www.drill-n-tap.com in case you saw one of
the others we have out there...

I just remembered Ive quite a number of pneumatic drilling heads. From
small to large. Some air driven, most electric motor driven.
Self feeding, self retracting etc etc

Is there any market for them? Them came off of operating machinery that
was taken apart

I'd be interested in knowing what makes and models they are. We use some
for special projects when our units are simply not the best choice for a
given application... But generally, there is no real valuable piece of used
automatic drill machienry out there unless you have a specific customer
lined up for it.

That being said, I'm looking for a used Jiffy-Tap unit. If you have one of
those, I might be interested in grabbing it from you.

The others you may have could possibly be useful for us too, but I'll
determine that once I know what they are. Mostly, competitor's units are
sold for very low prices on eBay, etc. because the RPM rate and stroke
length have to be just right for the end user's application. If you have a
match for what they want to do, you can get 50% of new at times...
Otherwise, I've seen $5,000 machines sell for $20 plus shipping.