Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Machine Builders in Monteal / French Speaking?

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:11:25 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
om...
What Bruce said . . . .

Don't patronize the French speakers or any others in the transaction of
international business.
Clarity of thought and technical description is pivotal in business
language. That is why English
is the world's official business language. But, OTOH, as Bruce
suggested,
German can be used to a
limited extent. German words are pictographic expressions constructed
from English; such as
brassiere translates to "holdsemfromfloppin" and etc.

Bob Swinney

these attitudes are EXACTLY why we are losing market share world wide -
customer service means exactly that - if the customer wants to speak
French,
so be it - or Thai, or urdu, or tamil, or whatever it is - the provider's
job includes making the customer relationship special as well as offering
the product or service desired.

and I assure you French is perfectly fine for business and technical
work -
did you ever hear of Lavoisier?

You act as though we should ignore them, no we should not. They get
the same effort to satisfy their needs as anyone else, if not a bit
more. But they need to make the effort to work with us, too.

snip

The Ethnic Ghetto workers are not into building a nicer USA, because
many still consider their home country their true home. They are here
only to stash away and/or wire home every dime they can make, so they
can cash out and go back to their home country and live like a king on
what would be a pauper's retirement here. And they set their children
and grandchildren up to follow in their footsteps.

-- Bruce --

I am well aware of non-english speaking persons in Los Angeles - including
korean, vietnamese, indian (three dialects), and of course various south
american indian languages. However, whether you, I, or anyone else likes
it, if you want to sell a product or a service, you do better making your
customer feel wanted. I see this happen up close, and if you don't want
these people to be YOUR customer, then someone else will take them on and
make them THEIR customer - and often that someone else is in a different
country and it hurts our nation as a whole.

Solve the social problems separately from business problems or we will fail
at both.