Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-Rejecting fiat currencies

cavelamb wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 4:57 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Now, corn or soy beans...at least you could eat them in a pinch. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Spam lasts "indefinitely", though the "flavor gradually declines".
http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#can4

IOW it's fine until crushed by the next Ice Age.

But is there a commodity exchange for Spam? d8-)

Ed Huntress

Dorothy bought a can (for the boat) and was going to try it

but

it said "contains mechanically separated chicken", which grossed her out
(girls!)
and the texture.

So we have a case of canned chicken chunks (all white mean) instead.

And it was mechanically separated as well.
I can't eat the original SPAM any more, WAY to much sodium in it. I now
get the low sodium version, NOT the LITE/low fat stuff, that tastes like
YUCK....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Gold would make excellent sailboat ballast!
Yes it would! And that would be one of the most useful things one could
do with it. 'Time to stock up! g

1700 pounds please!

You could make some Swiss bankers very happy. They'd all buy new shoes for
their kids at Christmas.

1,179.36 current price per troy ounce. (At 01:43 Dec 01)

14.583 Troy ounces per pound

24791.1 Troy ounces in 1700 pounds

$29,237,631.70 US

I'm a little shy of that. Last count was 52.34 ounces.
More than half of which I picked up between 2000 and 2001. Average price
was 284.00 an ounce at that time.

It's showing a MUCH better return than many of my stocks !!!!

52 ounces won't keep the boat on her feet, but should certainly keep Steve
on his feet!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Like Ed said, it makes good bait...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Dorothy bought a can (for the boat) and was going to try it

but

it said "contains mechanically separated chicken", which grossed her out
(girls!)
and the texture.

So we have a case of canned chicken chunks (all white mean) instead.

And it was mechanically separated as well.
I can't eat the original SPAM any more, WAY to much sodium in it. I now
get the low sodium version, NOT the LITE/low fat stuff, that tastes like
YUCK....

Like Ed said, it makes good bait...

You would love fishing around this place. I have a stretch of about 1/2
mile of a "New York State Registered Trout Stream".
I've been here over 15 years and have yet to see anything resembling a
trout in there!!! And they STOCK it yearly.

Then you go down about 2 miles and hit the county line and it is no
longer listed as a trout stream!!! Figure that one out...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:26:20 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Only if someone is willing to take it in trade, as you well know.

At $1200 an ounce...people are taking it in trade...trust me. G

"willing to take it in trade" that applies to gold, silver, copper
brass, uranium, heavy water, kim chi, bank notes, checks, credit
cards, negotiable bonds, mortgage backed securities, and other
financial instruments. "Cash Money" is an abstraction - and that
includes whatever is being used for currency or as the commodity
basis. Credit is even more of an abstraction.

And if it come to what you've been prediction/dreaming of/hoping for?
the exchange rate may be a little off the closing market price.

Certainly not " hoping for"..shrug...just accepting it. Ive had 5
previous "visions" and each time I took it seriously..and lived. Shrug

Its a family thing. Having "second sight" tends to run in the
family..mostly in the women..but the men do have them as well. Which is
why most of the men in the family die in their late 90s.

I still hope it was a fluke. But..Im proceeding like it was fact. I can
only die once...but be wrong many times. Id rather be wrong than dead.
Wouldnt you?

I'd rather find myself saying "What the hell am I going to do with
all this stuff?" than ask "Where the hell can I find a ...?"

Remember the protagonist in _Lucifer's Hammer_?

He bought a blazer to escape to his observatory in the mountains
(for one million dollars!) and paid that off with one milk bearing cow...

Indeed.

Let me put it this way, I'm not selling any of the jewelry. Not
till I need the cash to walk across the street to pay a bill.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2298 wrote:

I think so too. Rising gold may make gold bugs smart for a while, but
I personally will not join the fray.

I have this feeling that if I ever bought gold, they would find the biggest deposit of
gold in history the next day.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

I'm a little shy of that. Last count was 52.34 ounces.
More than half of which I picked up between 2000 and 2001. Average price
was 284.00 an ounce at that time.

It's showing a MUCH better return than many of my stocks !!!!

Better hope Obama doesn't pull a FDR.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:15:00 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

But is there a commodity exchange for Spam? d8-)

Ed Huntress

Dorothy bought a can (for the boat) and was going to try it

but

it said "contains mechanically separated chicken", which grossed her out (girls!)
and the texture.

So we have a case of canned chicken chunks (all white mean) instead.

Its actually pretty good. Just explain it as being chickenwurst.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:21:34 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"azotic" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
And the thing that worries me about gold is the possibility that some
day, when things are really rough, people are going hungry and reality
sets in, they may start looking at their piles of gold and realize that
not only can't they eat them, but that it's really a crummy, soft, and
heavy metal that isn't good for anything except bullets and sash weights,
unless the economy is perking along. A little reality would really knock
the hell out of the market.

A lot of people who are buying gold are in for a sleighride, as always
happens. Like any speculative commodity, it only looks good when you get
in on the way up and get out before it goes down.

Now, corn or soy beans...at least you could eat them in a pinch. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
But when the **** hits the fan gold maybe the one of the few commodities
that will get you some corn or soy beans and you get to cook them using
all your script for the heat source.G

Best Regards
Tom.

Maybe. But there's always a chance that the human race will wise up and
realize it's just about useless for almost anything that matters at that
point. d8-)

Ding!

We have a winner - and it's Ed (again).

If we let the lights go out, NOTHING is going to matter.

Game it out, Ed.

How far back would er fall?

National anarchy?
Return to sovereign states?
Return to rural subsistence?
Nomadic hunter gatherers?

Or would rampant diseases knock us back to the stone age?

Return to soverign states at first..then a Red nation...the Blue states
having starved out and then are taken in as enlarged versions of the
closest Red states

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 4:57 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Now, corn or soy beans...at least you could eat them in a pinch. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Spam lasts "indefinitely", though the "flavor gradually declines".
http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#can4

IOW it's fine until crushed by the next Ice Age.

But is there a commodity exchange for Spam? d8-)

Yes, current rate is 1 round of 7.62X39 or 5.56NATO per can of spam,
two cans for 7.62NATO.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-01, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2298 wrote:

I think so too. Rising gold may make gold bugs smart for a while, but
I personally will not join the fray.

I have this feeling that if I ever bought gold, they would find the biggest deposit of
gold in history the next day.

Good thinking. Though you were the winner in the market prediction
contest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

My best guess, and I mean this seriously, is that we'll revert to mowing
our own lawns and to buying our Halloween candy at Wal-Mart.

Otherwise, we might stop buying Mobil 1 and get back to basics with
Pennzoil.

Seriously.

Ed!
You are an optomist!
I never suspected.

Good attitude, too.
I'll hold you to it.

Richard

I just look at US history and look at what's happened to all the Chicken
Littles.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Ignoramus2298" wrote in message
George, I think that there are income producing assets that should
retain much of their value regardless of devaluation of currency.

Ergo, if I own a piece of a toll bridge, and get dividends every
quarter, I would not be too hurt if the currency devaluates. The
toll
bridge would still be able to extract some sizable amount from those
passing it.

[...]

Are you implying that there is not that much in Fort Knox?

Nah. But they aren't selling. The Swiss will sell you anything. I was there.
d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Gold would make excellent sailboat ballast!
Yes it would! And that would be one of the most useful things one could
do with it. 'Time to stock up! g

1700 pounds please!

You could make some Swiss bankers very happy. They'd all buy new shoes
for
their kids at Christmas.

1,179.36 current price per troy ounce. (At 01:43 Dec 01)

14.583 Troy ounces per pound

24791.1 Troy ounces in 1700 pounds

$29,237,631.70 US

I'm a little shy of that. Last count was 52.34 ounces.
More than half of which I picked up between 2000 and 2001. Average price
was 284.00 an ounce at that time.

It's showing a MUCH better return than many of my stocks !!!!

--
Steve W.

Good for you, Steve. It's always good to hear *someone* is making out from
all of this. That is, it's good to hear some honest people are making out,
because we know there are plenty of pirates and crooks who are making out,
too.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 4:57 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Now, corn or soy beans...at least you could eat them in a pinch. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Spam lasts "indefinitely", though the "flavor gradually declines".
http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#can4

IOW it's fine until crushed by the next Ice Age.

But is there a commodity exchange for Spam? d8-)

Yes, current rate is 1 round of 7.62X39 or 5.56NATO per can of spam, two
cans for 7.62NATO.

David

Jeez. That's expensive ammo. Or cheap Spam. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:58:08 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
om...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

Yup. A few of the other things that people will learn to live without:
bottled water, vehicles with 2000 lbs of trinkets and dead weight, $75
a month TV and $100 cell service, limos for high school graduations,
fast food and walking around with a gallon cup of soda or coffee, $20k
funerals and $50k weddings, Tshirts to advertise favorite brand names,
tanning parlors, pet psychiatrists, body art, salad shooters, cosmetic
surgery, knee MRIs for the morbidly obese, leaf blowers, magnetic
insoles, electric scent dispensers, life coaches... I could go on all
day. Obviously most people don't need to go back to stone age living
to balance their budgets. Just back to 1960 or so. :-)

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Dorothy bought a can (for the boat) and was going to try it

but

it said "contains mechanically separated chicken", which grossed her out (girls!)
and the texture.

So we have a case of canned chicken chunks (all white mean) instead.

Made from tough old birds? ;-)

Oh my.. Just washed my hands and can't do a thing with them...

Oh, well!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news:S6GdnYOTmeFABInWnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d@earthlink. com...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, you'll have to rip my Homelite leaf blower from my cold, dead hands.
d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:58:08 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
snip
A lot of people who are buying gold are in for a sleighride, as always
happens. Like any speculative commodity, it only looks good when you
get in on the way up and get out before it goes down.

snip
================
Up -- Up -- Away -- in my beautiful balloon.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a3z9UQ2_y6dA
Gold Climbs to Record on Inflation Outlook as Dollar Declines
By Claudia Carpenter and Millie Munshi

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Gold jumped to a record above $1,200 an
ounce in New York as declines in the dollar and higher commodity
prices spurred investor demand for the precious metal as an
inflation hedge.

Gold rose for the 11th time in 12 sessions as the U.S. Dollar
Index fell after China’s manufacturing grew at the fastest pace
in five years. The Standard & Poor’s GSCI index of 24 commodities
rose to a one-week high, led by cocoa, energy and silver.
==Morgan Stanley and BlackRock Advisors LLC increased their gold
assets in the third quarter, U.S. filings show.==
snip

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aaZC5GeV9fkw

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=adjC_SauMl4I

We are living in interesting times....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

i laughed out loud at "..1960..". i've been saying for a while i wish we
could turn back the clock to 1965. we don't need all this bull**** to be
happy, there were happy people in 1965.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

Chicken Little is a good proverb.

But there is also the Boy Who Cried Wolf...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There are happy people not too, William!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that cavelamb on or about
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 01:29:32 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
azotic wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
azotic wrote:
The gold story - essentially - is that the rising economic powers of
Asia, the Middle East, and the commodity bloc are rejecting Western fiat
currencies. China, India, and Russia have all been buying gold on a large
scale over recent months.
Why should that stop when the AAA club of sovereign debtors is pushing
towards the danger threshold of 100pc of GDP?

Just touching $1200 an ounce today!

Seems some people would rather own gold instead of script.

I still think it's a fools game.

You can't eat gold (or script).

But ammo and MREs aren't going to keep the ladies happy.
Better lay in a 12 year supply of Charmin too!

There is an old novel, Malvel. It's set in France, and the
protagonist inherited the old fort (dating from the 100 years war)
from his Uncle, if memory serves. Anyway, he's making a nice living
as a dealer in horses, raising some crops, the occasional tourist,
when WW3 breaks out. Bolt from the blue - France is mostly just
"toasted" - no electronics, massive loss of life, but no fallout - at
least not in this district. He and the rest of his family survive
because they are all in the cellar bottling wine when it happens.
Afterwards, he goes to a neighboring village, and makes a swap of
foodstuffs for their two horses (survivors of a circus). With his
stallion, and these two mares, he will have a monopoly on horses
production in the valley, but he's not going to tell them. While he
is fetching the horses, one of the henchmen says he can't have the
tack - saddle and the like. that the trade was for just the Horses. So
Etienne takes off this big massive gold ring he has, and gives it to
the guy as a "bribe".
The Henchman is Foolish: how long will it be before the economy is
more than barter? How long before Gold has any worth, other than as a
soft yellow metal which doesn't tarnish? The henchman has traded the
valuable stuff (the tack for the horses) for the "pretty".

The lesson of this story is: keep some bright pretty baubles
around to trade with the easily distracted. You might not think it
valuable, but there may be someone who doesn't believe as you do.
It is always a case of trading what you don't want, for what you
do. Or what you have that they will accept. In times of serious
financial crisis, you charge everything you can, until credit cards
are no longer taken. Then use checks. Then use the banknotes. Then
"real money."
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Jim Wilkins on or about
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:25:05 -0800 (PST) did write/type or cause to
On Nov 30, 6:50*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
But is there a commodity exchange for Spam? d8-)

Ed Huntress

http://www.tkfutures.com/pork_bellies.htm

Thre will be one on every street corner when it becomes currency.

Same goes for cigarettes, or any other small portable commodity.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Steve W." on or about
Tue, 01 Dec 2009 01:58:53 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Gold would make excellent sailboat ballast!
Yes it would! And that would be one of the most useful things one could
do with it. 'Time to stock up! g

1700 pounds please!

You could make some Swiss bankers very happy. They'd all buy new shoes for
their kids at Christmas.

1,179.36 current price per troy ounce. (At 01:43 Dec 01)

14.583 Troy ounces per pound

24791.1 Troy ounces in 1700 pounds

$29,237,631.70 US

I'm a little shy of that. Last count was 52.34 ounces.
More than half of which I picked up between 2000 and 2001. Average price
was 284.00 an ounce at that time.

It's showing a MUCH better return than many of my stocks !!!!

Back in the late seventies, a currency trader decided to look into
the question "Which currency has held up the best, compared to the US
dollar?" His conclusion was Confederate Dollars. Yep, save your
Confederate money, the South will Rise again!
I also recall reading of a bank, in England, discovering a
complete issue of Confederate War Bonds, printed in England, but never
delivered. They were all sold for face value.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"F. George McDuffee" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:57:59 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ignoramus2298" wrote in
message ...
George, I think that there are income producing assets that
should retain much of their value regardless of devaluation of
currency.

Me, I'm making turkey soup from Thanksgiving leftovers.

I made turkey chimichangas last night. Delicious!

http://allrecipes.com/Cook/13918513/...?postid=140387

LOL
I love the smell of soup cooking. So does my cat!

The initial crisis was wasted, as a political matter, the current
one - employment - is up for grabs.
You simply can not rebuild a consumer based economy if your
consumers are either fearful, impoverished, or both.
It's that simple.

We don't stay fearful for very long.

Recent history casts some doubt there Ed. They were feaful for as long as
Bush needed their votes.
Our current crop of financial wizards have people frightened enough to
prevent real regulatory reform.

However, whether we'll be
impoverished remains to be seen. I do expect us to climb out of this
situation but I don't see the political will to fix some of the
things that clearly are broken -- like the financial industry.

American consumers have lost more than 13 trillion dollars in asset value
alone in the last 18 months Ed.
That's an entire years GDP and qualifies, in my mind anyway, as
impoverishment.
On the whole, Americans as a group are in about as robust a condition
financially as their States are.
Everyone is affected one way or another by the societal losses.

Large numbers of people have now been out of work for a year and are being
disqualified by employers because----- they have been out of work for more
than a year.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:37:27 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
snip
the
trillion-dollar invisible banking industry stopped dead for a while, is
coming back to life in its old twisted and perverted form,

snip
One example

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...wuc9qnk&pos=15
New Jersey Swap for==Unsold Bonds== Costs $22,000 ==a Day==
(Update2)
snip

Unka George

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Both rejecting now, Beryl and Evelyn judged the old planets behind raw barber. Russ Allbery Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 11:53 AM
I was rejecting to change you some of my full grocers. Jim Riley Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 10:16 AM
B&Q Rejecting Cash? Will Hay UK diy 82 December 11th 05 07:54 PM
Sticky ignition key on car - Fiat Bravo/Brava John Smith UK diy 32 September 5th 05 03:57 PM