Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oxy/Settling welding equipment

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-21, Jim Stewart wrote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

This reminds me of a guy who was selling a cheap MIG welder on our
local CL. The corollary of it was "just connect an acetylene tank to
it and start welding".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-21, Jim Stewart wrote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

This reminds me of a guy who was selling a cheap MIG welder on our
local CL. The corollary of it was "just connect an acetylene tank to
it and start welding".

I would have liked to see the start of the weld. ;)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

Damn, I'm looking for a set of Oxy-Acetylene tanks. Not these. Even in
these hard times I'm not seeing decent tanks for sale very often. I
guess I'll have to keep looking. It seems like nobody wants to sell a
good set of tanks, and if they do they want way too much for them. Not
seeing any bargains. Try selling something on Ebay and even for a brand
new item people want to pay less than half the price of new. They want
to give you nothing for your items and want top dollar for theirs.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-21, Jim Stewart wrote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

This reminds me of a guy who was selling a cheap MIG welder on our
local CL. The corollary of it was "just connect an acetylene tank to
it and start welding".

I would have liked to see the start of the weld. ;)

From a distance....quite some distance......

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

With the typical anti owner policies in place at many (most?) gas
suppliers, you aren't going to see many real deals in owner tanks. If
the tanks are really transferable, they get close to full price. Not to
mention, all the newbies get a flux core wire feed or upgrade to a 120
volt or 240 full Mig outfit rather than the old fashioned O/A setup.

My gas supplier got bought out, I gave up my tanks to get the deposit
back before they surcharged me to death. I occasionally miss them for
the odd repair job but not enough to pay the monthly supplier fees.

Hawke wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

Damn, I'm looking for a set of Oxy-Acetylene tanks. Not these. Even in
these hard times I'm not seeing decent tanks for sale very often. I
guess I'll have to keep looking. It seems like nobody wants to sell a
good set of tanks, and if they do they want way too much for them. Not
seeing any bargains. Try selling something on Ebay and even for a brand
new item people want to pay less than half the price of new. They want
to give you nothing for your items and want top dollar for theirs.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

On Oct 21, 1:00*am, Hawke wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

Damn, I'm looking for a set of Oxy-Acetylene tanks. Not these. Even in
these hard times I'm not seeing decent tanks for sale very often. I
guess I'll have to keep looking. It seems like nobody wants to sell a
good set of tanks, and if they do they want way too much for them. Not
seeing any bargains. Try selling something on Ebay and even for a brand
new item people want to pay less than half the price of new. They want
to give you nothing for your items and want top dollar for theirs.

Hawke

Really, where are you? I just picked up my third complete set. I
snap up every set I can find if they are in decent shape. This last
one was a medium size set (still full) for $100. Supposedly someone
stole his torch/hoses, but left the tanks. I checked them out. They
were his tanks.

Owned tanks are hard to come by, but the shops around here aren't bad
for filling them. Some of them will do an exchange of tanks (saves
having to deal with recert), and some track your tank so you have to
wait to get it back.

Having a couple of sets, I always have a full one around. I have two
portable(cart) setups and one "big" setup. The big one is portable,
but I try not to move it any more than necessary.

JW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jw" wrote in message
On Oct 21, 1:00 am, Hawke wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
[...]

If one is familiar with the suppliers in their area, and their policies, I
believe it is possible to find user owned tanks at decent prices. Like
stated, they ain't CHEAP all the time unless they're stolen, but they are
less than the suppliers want for theirs. And then there are all kinds of
suppliers. Some are reasonable and some are not on their prices, refills,
and other policies.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:39:16 -0500, RoyJ
wrote:
Hawke wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
[...]

If the jobs aren't that big, get a set (or two) of B and 50CF. You
can do a lot within the draw limitations of the small bottles - just
no Rosebuds for any length of time, you better be able to get it hot
in a hurry.

If the local welding supply hassles you about them, you can get those
exchanged straight across when empty at many HVAC and Plumbing supply
houses, where they ask fewer questions.

There's one size up that is normally Owned and not Leased, but they
can be harder to get filled. The one place that deals with them a lot
is the Thoroughbred exchange system at Lowes and other DIY stores, but
they do charge a lot more for the convenience.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman writes:

There's one size up that is normally Owned and not Leased, but they
can be harder to get filled. The one place that deals with them a lot
is the Thoroughbred exchange system at Lowes and other DIY stores, but
they do charge a lot more for the convenience.

Could this be a local thing where you are? the only tank exchange I've
ever seen at my Lowes was propane....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Bruce L. Bergman writes:

There's one size up that is normally Owned and not Leased, but they
can be harder to get filled. The one place that deals with them a lot
is the Thoroughbred exchange system at Lowes and other DIY stores, but
they do charge a lot more for the convenience.

Could this be a local thing where you are? the only tank exchange I've
ever seen at my Lowes was propane....

Probably pretty regional. The Lowe's here doesn't have anything but LP
that I've noticed, but the Depot across the highway from them has a full
array of industrial gas exchange, Oxy, Acet., Argon, CO2, etc. all in
cages out front next to the LP cage. The Tractor Supply nearby also has
the noted Thoroughbred exchanges. I just deal with my local Airgas
branch, also in the same area as they have the other stuff I need like
LN2, TIG filler, Plasma consumables, etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 9:21*pm, Ignoramus21294 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
On 2009-10-21, Jim Stewart wrote:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

This reminds me of a guy who was selling a cheap MIG welder on our
local CL. The corollary of it was "just connect an acetylene tank to
it and start welding".

Would be almost as entertaining to see him try to do the tank
connection as the guy that was bugging the hardware store clerk into
looking into every brass plumbing fitting drawer so he could hook his
Prestolite regulator to a full-sized tank. Didn't believe me when I
told him the tank threads were designed so he COULDN'T do that. Told
him to wait until Monday and go over to General Air for an adapter.
Left him still rummaging around in the drawers, kept him out of
trouble, I suppose, until the place closed Sun. evening.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Really, where are you? I just picked up my third complete set. I
snap up every set I can find if they are in decent shape. This last
one was a medium size set (still full) for $100. Supposedly someone
stole his torch/hoses, but left the tanks. I checked them out. They
were his tanks.

Owned tanks are hard to come by, but the shops around here aren't bad
for filling them. Some of them will do an exchange of tanks (saves
having to deal with recert), and some track your tank so you have to
wait to get it back.

Having a couple of sets, I always have a full one around. I have two
portable(cart) setups and one "big" setup. The big one is portable,
but I try not to move it any more than necessary.

JW

I'm in Northern California and the prices for a new set of tanks are
probably 400 bucks or more. I used to rent a set but that wasn't really
cheap either. With the lousy economy, I figured there would be plenty of
people with their own old bottles sitting around who would like to get
something for them. But I'm not finding much. Either people don't want
to sell them, or they want too much, or they stole them from the dealer,
or they want to sell the full kit, which I don't need. I already have a
torch and regulators. I must say I'd sure like to find a set of bottles
for 100 bucks. Ain't happening in my neck of the woods though. At least
not so far. Last set I saw the guy wanted 300 bucks. That seemed high to me.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hawke wrote:

[...]

Send me a email with your location, maybe we can make a deal. I am near
Sacramento, so I am
not too far from you (maybe).

Bill K7NOM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

With three grinders, one a grinder, one with a sander blade, and one with a
wire brush, it is possible to make any shoulder embossment disappear
cleanly.

HTH

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:41:27 -0700, Bill Janssen wrote:

Hawke wrote:

[...]

Need ammo or a good sharp knife? That is the Chickenhawk you are
talking to.....

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

I bought my Argon bottle from Indianna Oxygen. Free shipping and a lot
cheaper than local to Calif.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill McKee wrote:

I bought my Argon bottle from Indianna Oxygen. Free shipping and a lot
cheaper than local to Calif.

I have a little Hobart (135) that I bought to build my shop.
It's only had cored wire in it - never had shielding gas as
I was working outside.

So I don't know first hand.
But I'm curious about what I've read...

Is the quality of a gas shielded weld all that much better than it
is worth the expense?

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:55:12 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Bill McKee wrote:

I bought my Argon bottle from Indianna Oxygen. Free shipping and a lot
cheaper than local to Calif.

I have a little Hobart (135) that I bought to build my shop.
It's only had cored wire in it - never had shielding gas as
I was working outside.

So I don't know first hand.
But I'm curious about what I've read...

Is the quality of a gas shielded weld all that much better than it
is worth the expense?

Richard

Quality..hummmm yes and no.

Cosmetics...hell yes!!

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a little Hobart (135) that I bought to build my shop.
It's only had cored wire in it - never had shielding gas as
I was working outside.

So I don't know first hand.
But I'm curious about what I've read...

Is the quality of a gas shielded weld all that much better than it
is worth the expense?

Richard

HUGE difference in appearance of finished weld. HUGE.

FCAW stronger, though.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Bill,

I'm in Chico. So does that put you closer or farther from me? The
question is what do you have and what will you take for a set of
bottles, and how far away you are. Let me know what you are willing to
take and where you are.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Bill McKee wrote:

I bought my Argon bottle from Indianna Oxygen. Free shipping and a lot
cheaper than local to Calif.

I have a little Hobart (135) that I bought to build my shop.
It's only had cored wire in it - never had shielding gas as
I was working outside.

So I don't know first hand.
But I'm curious about what I've read...

Is the quality of a gas shielded weld all that much better than it
is worth the expense?

Richard

I use flux core in the mig welder but bought the argon cylinder for the
aluminum spool gun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Bill McKee wrote:

I bought my Argon bottle from Indianna Oxygen. Free shipping and a lot
cheaper than local to Calif.

I have a little Hobart (135) that I bought to build my shop.
It's only had cored wire in it - never had shielding gas as
I was working outside.

So I don't know first hand.
But I'm curious about what I've read...

Is the quality of a gas shielded weld all that much better than it
is worth the expense?

Heck yes, it looks a whole lot better. A lot less spatter and crap
from the flux going all over the place. And a lot less crap to
breathe in, which is why I barely started on the comp. 1-Lb. roll of
Fluxcore that came with my Challenger before switching to CO2. And
I've never looked back.

The beads look better without the flux bubbles coming up - I spend
less time grinding welds, if they are laid down halfway decent you can
just prime and paint.

As for quality, you can get a bit hotter with CO2 or a bit more with
an Argon/CO2 mix - but straight CO2 is dirt cheap to get refills, so
that's all I use.

You can make a bad weld with any of them, fluxcore included, if you
don't get good penetration on both sides - and with that statement I'm
going to take mercy on the local Dead Horse. RIP, Trigger.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Bill McKee wrote:

[...]

Actually..Co2 is hotter than Argon/Co2. And you are very correct..a
tank of CO2 is liquid..and it lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts....Ive
been working on a bottle now for two or more years..and Ive done a
****load of welding. Ive got humm...(4) 125cf bottles all filled up with
C25...and I seldom ever even turn one on. Ive got a bottle of Tri-Mix
Ive never used, and (2) Co2 bottles waiting in the wings.

I wish TIG would work with CO2..I hate filling one up every couple
months..and Ive got 4 of them on hand as well.

You can make a bad weld with any of them, fluxcore included, if you
don't get good penetration on both sides - and with that statement I'm
going to take mercy on the local Dead Horse. RIP, Trigger.

-- Bruce --

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Hawke wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

Try selling something on Ebay and even for a brand
new item people want to pay less than half the price of new. They want
to give you nothing for your items and want top dollar for theirs.

Well Duh, The quality of any thing on ebay is a crap shoot, with
little to no real recourse. It takes a bargain to drive that deal.

jk

Settling [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 19th 09 02:39 PM
How much settling [email protected] Home Repair 7 June 11th 09 06:25 PM
Foundation settling [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 10th 08 11:46 AM
Buy or Sell your Used Construction Equipment; ie. excavators, backhoes, dozers, graders, cranes, compactors, dump trucks, heavy trucks, forestry equipment, farming equipment, mining equipment and much more.... Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 23rd 07 03:27 PM
Don't fix old, buy new - RF Welding equipment from Europe (27.12MHz) [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 July 22nd 06 03:38 PM