Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Settling

About 10 years ago we replaced carpet in the downstairs living room
with vinyl plank. The installers had to use a lot of mud to level the
floor and it looked great when they were done. Now, we see waves
under the flooring and cracks in the patio tile just outside.

My wife and I are wondering if the rate of settling is likely to
increase over time costing lots more to fix in the long run if we put
this off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 3:26*pm, Tony wrote:
wrote:
About 10 years ago we replaced carpet in the downstairs living room
with vinyl plank. *The installers had to use a lot of mud to level the
floor and it looked great when they were done. *Now, we see waves
under the flooring and cracks in the patio tile just outside.

My wife and I are wondering if the rate of settling is likely to
increase over time costing lots more to fix in the long run if we put
this off.

I can't answer your question but the problem may be fixed much better
using concrete jacking. *(they drill holes in the floor all the way
through the slab, then pump concrete under the slab filling in any voids
and lifting any low spots.) *But you would probably need a new floor
after that.

Wouldn't concrete jacking just be a temporary solution? It seems that
if they fill the current low spots with concrete, new ones would
develop as settling continues over the next 10 years. No?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 16, 3:26 pm, Tony wrote:
wrote:
[...]

It depends. What you need is a site survey by a real foundation repair
company, that has an actual engineer on staff or retainer. A house that
old should be done settling, unless there has been a ton of rain, or an
extended drought, or some work at the neighbor's place or out in the
street, that has changed the subsurface water flows. Do you have any
windows or doors that seem (more) out of square since the problem came
back, or any fresh cracks inside in the walls, or outside in the brick?
When it rains, does water pond against the house anywhere? If you live
in frost country, do the cracks and low/high spots change in winter or
spring? The engineer will have a whole list of questions, and poke
around awhile. Almost always the answer is pretty obvious, but it is the
kind of thing where you need trained experienced eyes right there.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Aug 16, 3:26 pm, Tony wrote:
wrote:
[...]

No one can provide an answer without a lot more info.

Where do you live?

What kind of foundation and floor do you have?

Do you have weeping tile and a sump pit?

What are the soil conditions that your basement is built on?

How old is your house?

What have the weather conditions been (rainy, wet, dry, etc)?

What sort of surface drainage do you have and is it proper? Do you have
extenstions on your down spouts? Is the soil sloped away from your
foundation?

Etc. etc......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 10:07*pm, "Doug Brown" wrote:
wrote in message

On Aug 16, 3:26 pm, Tony wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Doug,
Are you qualified to make a good recommendation or are you simply
letting me know the type of info that I will need to provide to a
foundation engineer?
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 16, 2:11*pm, "
wrote:

My wife and I are wondering if the rate of settling is likely to
increase over time ....

Happens to people too. I'm 1" shorter than I was when I was younger.
The doc says I'm just settling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 9:08*am, Red wrote:
On Aug 16, 2:11*pm, "

wrote:
My wife and I are wondering if the rate of settling is likely to
increase over time ....

Happens to people too. I'm 1" shorter than I was when I was younger.
The doc says I'm just settling.

Yes, but you probably don't plan on selling your body for a profit
when you move on.