Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default Oxy/Settling welding equipment

"jw" wrote in message
On Oct 21, 1:00 am, Hawke wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1429930892.html

Damn, I'm looking for a set of Oxy-Acetylene tanks. Not these. Even in
these hard times I'm not seeing decent tanks for sale very often. I
guess I'll have to keep looking. It seems like nobody wants to sell a
good set of tanks, and if they do they want way too much for them. Not
seeing any bargains. Try selling something on Ebay and even for a brand
new item people want to pay less than half the price of new. They want
to give you nothing for your items and want top dollar for theirs.

Hawke

Really, where are you? I just picked up my third complete set. I
snap up every set I can find if they are in decent shape. This last
one was a medium size set (still full) for $100. Supposedly someone
stole his torch/hoses, but left the tanks. I checked them out. They
were his tanks.

Owned tanks are hard to come by, but the shops around here aren't bad
for filling them. Some of them will do an exchange of tanks (saves
having to deal with recert), and some track your tank so you have to
wait to get it back.

Having a couple of sets, I always have a full one around. I have two
portable(cart) setups and one "big" setup. The big one is portable,
but I try not to move it any more than necessary.

JW

If one is familiar with the suppliers in their area, and their policies, I
believe it is possible to find user owned tanks at decent prices. Like
stated, they ain't CHEAP all the time unless they're stolen, but they are
less than the suppliers want for theirs. And then there are all kinds of
suppliers. Some are reasonable and some are not on their prices, refills,
and other policies.

Steve