Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default Oxy/Settling welding equipment

"Hawke" wrote in message

Really, where are you? I just picked up my third complete set. I
snap up every set I can find if they are in decent shape. This last
one was a medium size set (still full) for $100. Supposedly someone
stole his torch/hoses, but left the tanks. I checked them out. They
were his tanks.

Owned tanks are hard to come by, but the shops around here aren't bad
for filling them. Some of them will do an exchange of tanks (saves
having to deal with recert), and some track your tank so you have to
wait to get it back.

Having a couple of sets, I always have a full one around. I have two
portable(cart) setups and one "big" setup. The big one is portable,
but I try not to move it any more than necessary.

JW

I'm in Northern California and the prices for a new set of tanks are
probably 400 bucks or more. I used to rent a set but that wasn't really
cheap either. With the lousy economy, I figured there would be plenty of
people with their own old bottles sitting around who would like to get
something for them. But I'm not finding much. Either people don't want to
sell them, or they want too much, or they stole them from the dealer, or
they want to sell the full kit, which I don't need. I already have a torch
and regulators. I must say I'd sure like to find a set of bottles for 100
bucks. Ain't happening in my neck of the woods though. At least not so
far. Last set I saw the guy wanted 300 bucks. That seemed high to me.

Hawke

With three grinders, one a grinder, one with a sander blade, and one with a
wire brush, it is possible to make any shoulder embossment disappear
cleanly.

HTH

Steve