Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Illinois State cops have no crime to occupy them?

We were just east of St. Louis today on I-70 with a
27' travel trailer in tow. I was following a semi doing
about 60 mph, and as he slowed down, so did I. Limit for
trucks and trailers is 55 mph in Ill. Ah! Cop coming up
behind us.
Gets about even with the semi in front of us, and
matches speed. After about two miles, he drops back to
about a car length behind us, still one lane to the left.
Hangs there for about five more miles when he hits his
lights.

This guy was apparently a moron. Kept asking me the
same questions over and over and I kept giving the same
answers over and over. Finally after about 20 minutes,
he asks to see my license and registrations, and after
barely glancing at any of it, tells me he's not going
to cite me, to drive safely and have a nice day. I
never did figure out why he pulled me over or what he
didn't cite me for. At one point he had said something
about the trailer swerving in the wind... as if that
were somehow a citable offense, but the breeze was
barely enough to rustle the leaves.

I've driven the country MANY times, north to south,
east to west, and this is the first time I've ever been
pulled over for no reason. Actually, it's the first
time I've ever been pulled over on an interstate.

The length of my hair? He's shopping for a travel
trailer and was hoping I'd offer him a tour? Out of
state plates? He was bored? During the interrogation
I was just puzzled, but afterwards, I was ****ed. Where
do these little tin Jesuses get off detaining law abiding
citizens for no reason at all?

I think Illinois just formed the basis for my new
"avoid like the plague" list.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:16:18 -0600, Steve Ackman
wrote:

[...]

What questions did he keep asking over and over for 20 minutes?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:16:18 -0600, Steve Ackman wrote:

[...]

He was asking the same questions over and over for 20 minutes hoping that
you'd screw up and give a different answer. Then you'd be a damned liar
and he could go to town with you.

Good for you that you could remember what you said before.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Its got Chicago in it. It has to be a ********.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

The length of my hair? He's shopping for a travel
trailer and was hoping I'd offer him a tour? Out of
state plates? He was bored? During the interrogation
I was just puzzled, but afterwards, I was ****ed. Where
do these little tin Jesuses get off detaining law abiding
citizens for no reason at all?

It has been a while since I've been stopped but the routine seems like a fishing
expedition. Illinois is on my No Go List. I've been there once and I very left quickly.

What was he fishing for? Drugs most likely.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve, I live in IL and have not encountered such things as
you. Possibly the cops had an advisory such as "look out for a guy
driving a long trailer" or some such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Where
do these little tin Jesuses get off detaining law abiding
citizens for no reason at all?

Although I am fairly curious as to the questions he kept asking over and
over again, I'm more curious as to what the statement above means...

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah, I've driven through Illinois dozens (maybe 100) times and never
had any problems like that. My guess is he was stalling while waiting for
somebody to look up your records... possibly an "Amber Alert" or stolen
vehicle/trailer alert that you fit somehow.

"Ignoramus30647" wrote in message
Steve, I live in IL and have not encountered such things as
you. Possibly the cops had an advisory such as "look out for a guy
driving a long trailer" or some such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Actually, I thought it was around 15 minutes, but
my wife said it was closer to 20. I didn't have a
stopwatch going so, who know.

"Are there two beds in that trailer?"
"Where are you travelling from and to?"
"Does it have... expansion?"
"Are you carrying anything illegal; firearms, alcohol
tobacco?" (as if those are illegal)

In some cases those things can be illegal. I had much the same thing happen
in Huntsville, Texas 15 years ago. The cop claimed he pulled us over because
my wife wasn't wearing her seatbelt. She was wearing her seatbelt and as far
as I can figure my crime was traveling north with out of state plates on a
common drug courier route. We were detained for almost a half an hour when I
refused to let him search the car. He stated he was that he is going to call
a K9 officer and let the dog do it's thing. Finally, I told him the only
thing I was bringing back from Texas was a bag of grapefruit and he could go
ahead and search the trunk. After I opened the trunk he barely searched it
and let us go.
Steve

"What do you do for a living?"
"Do you own a house in NH?"
"Why are you travelling?"

Too many to list them all, but those seem to be
fairly representative.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That does sound abusive of his authority. If you recall his name, an
informative letter to some authority in Illinois might be in order.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

He was trying to get probable cause to search your trailer. Good thing you
didn't get smart, or you would probably still be there picking up your
"stuff" from the side of the highway where they threw it out when "tossing"
your trailer. If I was you, I would have given him what for, and asked if
his mother and father were related. If his grandpa had only one big
eyebrow. Of course, that is what I would have done with YOUR ID. As for
me, it's Yessir and Nosir and straight short answers. Messing with a cop
makes as much sense as insulting your barber before a haircut. Have you
always had a problem with authority figures?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Its got Chicago in it. It has to be a ********.

Gunner

With end products like Obama, Blogoyevich, etc, it speaks for itself.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-07, Up North wrote:
In some cases those things can be illegal. I had much the same thing happen
in Huntsville, Texas 15 years ago. The cop claimed he pulled us over because
my wife wasn't wearing her seatbelt. She was wearing her seatbelt and as far
as I can figure my crime was traveling north with out of state plates on a
common drug courier route. We were detained for almost a half an hour when I
refused to let him search the car. He stated he was that he is going to call
a K9 officer and let the dog do it's thing. Finally, I told him the only
thing I was bringing back from Texas was a bag of grapefruit and he could go
ahead and search the trunk. After I opened the trunk he barely searched it
and let us go.

Sounds rather obnoxious. I would personally like to refuse a search,
however, I have never had a chance to try it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Where
do these little tin Jesuses get off detaining law abiding
citizens for no reason at all?

Although I am fairly curious as to the questions he kept asking over and
over again, I'm more curious as to what the statement above means...

To me, the statement speaks for itself.

Steve, but not THAT Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-07, SteveB wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Its got Chicago in it. It has to be a ********.

Gunner

With end products like Obama, Blogoyevich, etc, it speaks for itself.

Ronald Reagan was born and raised in Illinois, by the way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Happened to me 30 years ago on I57

It turned out we were the spitting image of someone who had just robbed a
bank.
The eyewitness however, was positive that they were driving a gold '63
impala not a gold '64 polara.

We were heading back from college and our trunk was full of guns and
jewelery supplies.
I am glad they trusted that witness. If they had popped the trunk, we
probably would have ended up in Statesville.

Paul K. Dickman

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:10:55 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus30647
scrawled the following:

On 2009-10-07, SteveB wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Its got Chicago in it. It has to be a ********.

Gunner

With end products like Obama, Blogoyevich, etc, it speaks for itself.

What, Daley and Michelle O. are OK?

Ronald Reagan was born and raised in Illinois, by the way.

Proof that there are exceptions to the rule. He outgrew his early
misfortunes.

--
For me, pragmatism is not enough. Nor is that fashionable word "consensus."

To me consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs,
principles, values and policies in search of something in which no one
believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very
issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement
on the way ahead. What great cause would have been fought and won under
the banner "I stand for consensus"?
--Margaret Thatcher (in a 1981 speech)

LJ sez: It's a good thing we have concensus on the case of Anthropogenic
Global Warming (kumbaya), isn't it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He was on a fishing expedition. How many times did he return to his
vehicle during this 20 minutes?

As an ex deputy...it would appear to me that he was trying to do one of
two things....

1. You fit an uncomplete description of a perp who was wanted somewhere
and he had run your plates and was waiting for a confirmation from
dispatch

2. He was having a very slow day and was trying to find something to
nail you with.

3. He was looking for a bribe.

Id personally believe that it was #1..but given the propensity of
Illionois cops to be dicks...it could have been #2..perhaps a mixture of
2&3

Shrug, shake it off and forget about it. And bypass Obamaland the next
time.

Gunner

GUNNER'S PRAYER:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the people
that don't need to get shot, the courage to shoot
the people that need shooting and the wisdom to know the difference.
And if need be, the skill to get it done before I have to reload."

0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:10:55 -0500, Ignoramus30647

On 2009-10-07, SteveB wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Its got Chicago in it. It has to be a ********.

Gunner

With end products like Obama, Blogoyevich, etc, it speaks for itself.

Ronald Reagan was born and raised in Illinois, by the way.

Which just shows that even **** holes can poop out a good one once in a
while.

Gunner

GUNNER'S PRAYER:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the people
that don't need to get shot, the courage to shoot
the people that need shooting and the wisdom to know the difference.
And if need be, the skill to get it done before I have to reload."

0
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-07, Up North wrote:
[...]

It ****ed me off so bad I drove straight through to Minnesota, stopping
only for gas and a meal. 27 hrs if I remember correctly. I was told later
they have a police college in town so you chances of getting stopped by a
rookie in training are good
Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 00:50:48 -0500, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:16:18 -0600, Steve Ackman wrote:

I think Illinois just formed the basis for my new
"avoid like the plague" list.

He was asking the same questions over and over for 20 minutes hoping that
you'd screw up and give a different answer. Then you'd be a damned liar
and he could go to town with you.

Good for you that you could remember what you said before.

Just tell the truth, then you don't need to remember ****. :-D

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 00:50:48 -0500, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:16:18 -0600, Steve Ackman wrote:

I think Illinois just formed the basis for my new
"avoid like the plague" list.

He was asking the same questions over and over for 20 minutes hoping that
you'd screw up and give a different answer. Then you'd be a damned liar
and he could go to town with you.

Good for you that you could remember what you said before.

Just tell the truth, then you don't need to remember ****. :-D

Or even better, tell them nothing they have no right to know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-07, Up North wrote:
[...]

Last week we drove from Texas to Wisconsin, including a few hours in
Illinois and the Western edge of the Chicago area.
I disarmed at the border, and told my wife we weren't stopping again
until we were out of Illinois. I did not intend to leave a dime of my
money there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
We were just east of St. Louis today on I-70 with a
27' travel trailer in tow.

snip
This guy was apparently a moron. Kept asking me the
same questions over and over and I kept giving the same
answers over and over. Finally after about 20 minutes,
he asks to see my license and registrations, and after
barely glancing at any of it, tells me he's not going
to cite me, to drive safely and have a nice day. I
never did figure out why he pulled me over or what he
didn't cite me for. At one point he had said something
about the trailer swerving in the wind... as if that
were somehow a citable offense, but the breeze was
barely enough to rustle the leaves.

He was looking for marijuana, meth, or whatever. He didn't have a
drug-sniffing dog available, so he just put you under stress for a bit,
and you kept your cool, so he let you go. There is a HUGE amount of
"stuff" flowing past this area (I live in St. Louis, and the cops are
always finding a truckload of something being trucked through by
out-of-state drivers) and it is a bit of a business to the police
depts. as they get a cut of federal $ from intercepting illegal drugs.

Oh, when you follow a semi, there are huge vortices rolling off the back
of the trailer, and they can cause your trailer to weave badly, some
times so bad you have to brake and back off to get away from them. I
experienced some of that while driving a 15-passenger stretch-extended
Ram van with a 16' U-haul trailer from St. Louis to Tampa and back a few
years ago.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30647 wrote:

Sounds rather obnoxious. I would personally like to refuse a search,
however, I have never had a chance to try it.

I've had two chances, South Carolina in late 70's, Michigan in late 80's. They asked, I
said no, not without a warrant.

Both times I got no grief or a ticket.

I used to shoot IDPA with a local area police officer, he told me that they mostly catch
the dumb criminals. He was real up front about about it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:44:29 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Wed, 07 Oct
2009 05:21:21 -0400, Wes, wrote:

It has been a while since I've been stopped but the routine seems like a fishing
expedition. Illinois is on my No Go List. I've been there once and I very left quickly.

What was he fishing for? Drugs most likely.

I never could figure out what he was after.
His questions were all over the place, all of a more
personal nature than I would have ever guessed would
have been relvant to anything.

Steve, a couple of those questions sounded as if he were interested in
buying a trailer like yours. Maybe he was embarrassed about that and
covering it up, causing you to feel a similar frustration. shrug
Who knows?

Had you outdrawn him, cuffed him to his steering wheel, and then
grilled him about his line of questioning, you wouldn't be in this
situation now, would you? snort

--
For me, pragmatism is not enough. Nor is that fashionable word "consensus."

To me consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs,
principles, values and policies in search of something in which no one
believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very
issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement
on the way ahead. What great cause would have been fought and won under
the banner "I stand for consensus"?
--Margaret Thatcher (in a 1981 speech)

LJ sez: It's a good thing we have concensus on the case of Anthropogenic
Global Warming (kumbaya), isn't it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Excop?!?!?!

ROTFLMAO

Prove it!

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 7, 7:44*pm, Steve Ackman
wrote:
In , on Wed, 07 Oct
2009 05:21:21 -0400, Wes, wrote:

It has been a while since I've been stopped but the routine seems like a fishing
expedition. *Illinois is on my No Go List. *I've been there once and I very left quickly.

What was he fishing for? *Drugs most likely. *

* I never could figure out what he was after.
His questions were all over the place, all of a more
personal nature than I would have ever guessed would
have been relvant to anything.

He was trying to rattle you.

Giving inconsistent answers will get you a search.

He likely thought you might be a mule running meth.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Always been ****ed about Illinois Highway Patrol. 1968, my new wife and I
were going to Dayton, OH for a company school. I was speeding in the middle
of nowhere outside St. Louis by exceeding the speed limit by 10 over. cop
pulled me over and left my wife in the car and told me to get in the state
car. He called in records and then proceeded to drive 20 over because his
wheels were out of balance about 15 miles for me to drop $25 in a mail box
for my ticket. Then the 15 or so miles back to the car. We got back to my
car and wife, and I looked at the cop and said it was his lucky day. If
anything had happened to my wife I would have killed him on the spot. He
started to reach for his gun, and I said, that I doubt any jury would
convict me. It would be justified. I always regret not taking it all the
way to the Governor of the state. I hope he learned from the encounter. And
I would have killed him.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Where
do these little tin Jesuses get off detaining law abiding
citizens for no reason at all?

Although I am fairly curious as to the questions he kept asking over and
over again, I'm more curious as to what the statement above means...

You believe it's alright for cops to just stop
people at random to ask (think German accent)
"Show me your papers! Sorry, your papers are in
order, but I must now detain you for 20 minutes for
no reason at all"

Actually, I meant the "little tin Jesuses" part...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I would have killed him.- Hide quoted text -

You would have been the one who would have been dead.

A man who holds a grudge for over 40 years needs some therapy.

You could have easily have had your wife join you for the ride.

And making threats..even after 40 years...is still making threats.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:49:42
-0600, SteveB, wrote:
"Steve Ackman" wrote in message

He was trying to get probable cause to search your trailer.

They only need reasonable suspicion to search a
vehicle. Probable cause is required for getting a
search warrant for a house.

In Texas at least, you can deny an LEO search of your vehicle without a
warrant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He took off leaving my wife there. And I would have killed him on the spot!
I would not kill him now, and it is still wrong 40 years later. 40 years
does not make it correct. And why would you figure I would be the one dead?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Because TMT is an utter buffoon.

I really wish you guys would simply killfile the dumb son of a bitch and
be done with it. Ive had the moron in my kill file for at least 3 yrs
and I STILL read his diarettic spew 10-20 times a day.

Gunner

GUNNER'S PRAYER:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the people
that don't need to get shot, the courage to shoot
the people that need shooting and the wisdom to know the difference.
And if need be, the skill to get it done before I have to reload."

0
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

In all states that recognize the 5th Amendment.

That lets out the "boo-hoo" states...

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:05:10 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

On 2009-10-07, SteveB wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Its got Chicago in it. It has to be a ********.

Gunner

With end products like Obama, Blogoyevich, etc, it speaks for itself.

Ronald Reagan was born and raised in Illinois, by the way.

You'll notice Reagan left to find better prospects.

Which just shows that even **** holes can poop out a good one once in a
while.

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Workmens Comp State of Illinois [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 14th 06 08:22 AM
Cops & Donuts jim rozen Metalworking 13 September 19th 04 04:01 PM
HELP - COPS AT MY DOOR rastapasta Home Repair 6 November 24th 03 12:55 PM