Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Flag Burning.. should be of interest

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 17:43:29 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Two wrongs do not make a right. In the end, I hope the law calls it a draw.

OK, the first wrong was the kid burning a flag. Please discuss the
second wrong. I don't see one. The parties involved could have
kicked the **** out of him but didn't.

No the parties involved could only stop him from continuing the activity. Kicking the
**** out of him turns it into assault and battery.

They talked to him he accepted
a social punishment. I don't see any wrong in that, and am happy that
the kid learned from his mistake without any legal repercussion.

The 21 year has a problem. Assuming this is his mode of behavior when drinking, he needs
attention. Today a flag, tomorrow he gets stupid with a moving vehicle.

That is something for the legal system.

He apparently copped to the attitude, realized his mistake, and
accepted the responsibility, so there should, hopefully, be no need
for the legal system to get involved with him in the future.

Now my first read gut feeling was urrah! ******* got what he deserved but after I thought
about it, I think the problem is not solved, at least not the kids problem.

Consider this, the kid get razzed about this, gets drunk to deal with it and does
something else stupid which gets an innocent party killed the next time.

I don't know, Wes. He sure seemed to come to his senses after that
last mistake, without anyone beating him into it or being locked up.
Let's hope he isn't a troubled kid, or that this little scene scared
him into detouring from whatever troubled road he may have been
heading down.

Also, please be aware that even if he does have a drinking problem,
those are very seldom settled by legal involvement. BTDT, missed the
legal entanglements (but few of my friends did), and made it through
OK, I think. Almost -all- sobriety comes from the inside, and even
being locked up for years doesn't change a person. Ask anyone who's
ever visited more than one AA meeting.

-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:31:58 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Sounds to me like local people arriving at an agreement for restitution.
The 'victim' wronged them. They offered to drop the issue if he would
publicly relent. He did.

It's called freedom and liberty.

According to you that's not only wrong but it's illegal!

Let's see if we can explain something that will get through your thick
skull. Imagine the same circumstances, only instead of a 21-year-old young
man, it was a 21-year-old young woman. Same transgression, same everything.
Except that her "choice three" is to have sex with three or four of the
barstool warmers at the VFW.

She agrees; they have sex; she's physically fine afterward, and everyone
goes on their way.

Now, here's the question for you, Strabo: When they catch the guys, how many
years do they wind up spending in prison?

No fair peeking. Just give us your answer. Now we'll find out if you
understand the principle of coercion, or if you're off
your rocker. This
situation is an exect legal parallel to the one you're talking about.

I'll wait.

In once case they agree on restitution, in the other on prostitution?
(ducking...)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You'd BETTER duck. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"HH&C" wrote in message
On Oct 4, 9:31 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Strabo" wrote in message

Kirk Gordon wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

Lemme see if I've got this straight. We've sent brave men and women
to fight and die for the benefit of a country full of third world
minds
that don't have a clue what freedom or rights are all about. We tell
ourselves, and our troops, that they're actually fighting to protect
OUR rights and freedoms, and things like the rule of law, due
process,
etc. Then we think it's a good thing when someone attempts to "honor"
our troops by ignoring the rule of law, forgetting about due process,
and imposing a punishment that no US court would order.

And the reason for all this is that a VFW post commander and Viet Nam
war veteran is worried about kids in a foxhole who have "no one to
set
them free". He's right about that. None of us will ever be free until
we realize that patriotism is a rational, reasoned commitment to
something that makes sense, and not a license to use slogans and
flags
to justify destructive nonsense.

KG

Odd that you missed the fact that the kid did the punishment
Voluntarily.

Why did you miss that?

I guess because what you posted said "...the man was FORCED to sit in
the sun pilloried for six hours..."

The fact that the guy was contrite or remorseful doesn't mean this was
truly voluntary, or even close to it.

Since neither of us knows the details of the whole story, my guess
about what really happened is as valid as yours. And my guess is that
the guy was told either to accept the VFW's version of injustice, or
face
prosecution. I'm no lawyer; but that sounds to me like blackmail, which
adds still ANOTHER crime to the list.

Blackmail?

Sounds to me like local people arriving at an agreement for restitution.
The 'victim' wronged them. They offered to drop the issue if he would
publicly relent. He did.

It's called freedom and liberty.

According to you that's not only wrong but it's illegal!

Let's see if we can explain something that will get through your thick
skull. Imagine the same circumstances, only instead of a 21-year-old young
man, it was a 21-year-old young woman. Same transgression, same
everything.
Except that her "choice three" is to have sex with three or four of the
barstool warmers at the VFW.

Is that what happened?

Exactly. Only the sex and the particular coercion have been changed.

If Strabo believes in principles as much as he says, he'll recognize that
it's exactly the same principle. If he really doesn't, he'll try to evade
the issue, like you're doing here.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Oct 4, 11:34 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:57:11 -0400, Kirk Gordon
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

I'll wait.

If what you're waiting for is an actual answer, reasoned and logical
and
self consistent, then I hope you packed a lunch.

KG

I'm not, but it's interesting to see what ideologues do when they meet
themselves coming around a corner. d8-)

Ah. Good thought. If they're the gun-toting type, maybe they'll be
startled and shoot themselves.

KG

So police and military shoot themselves in large numbers as do law
abiding citizens?

Got cites for your spew or is this something you dreamed up after a
night eating pigs feet and sloshing down cheap beer?

So, police and military are ideologues?
You're a first class moron, Gunner.

Actually, Gunner is pretty smart. He claims to have an IQ of 156. g! Since
people with 156 IQ's tend to be a little scary, it may explain some of his
ideas...

However, it's not stupidity that you're seeing. It appears to be the result
of decades of accumulated resentments, which started with Vietnam. Like too
much pressure in a boiler, those resentments have led to some leaks between
the rivets.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is. He's so stupid that he thinks that lying about
accomplishment is as good as the real thing.

It appears to be the result
of decades of accumulated resentments, which started with Vietnam.

Surely you don't believe his story about serving under someone else's
name. If he'd really served, then he wouldn't have admitted to owing
that medical debt a few years back. He gets busted regularly for
telling whoppers. What are the odds that one of his most far-fetched
stories is true?

Like too
much pressure in a boiler, those resentments have led to some leaks between
the rivets.

Sure, but in this case he's supplying his own heat.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Wayne, he's not stupid. I've watched him think through some things on this
NG, and he shows evidence of having a very capable mind...which makes some
things he says even more annoying.

He is given to telling tall tales. My favorite is the one about encountering
some gang-bangers on a shooting range somewhere out in the sticks, and
showing them how to shoot. The gang-bangers had brought their own handguns,
BTW, but just walked away, sheepishly, after watching the maestro at work.
That one's a classic. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Whoa!

I said he was a first-class moron. But maybe that's an insult to
morons. What I meant was that he's notably lacking in judgment (one
definition of moron). I don't care what his IQ is, or what he claims
it to be. I KNOW he's capable of thinking a problem through, but often
chooses not to.

As far as resentments about Vietnam, I would assume that his only
resentment about that is how all his buddies got to go there and left
him behind.

In another thread, I actually asked Gunner if it would be possible for
him to post a reply to someone about a metalworking topic (a subject
in which he is somewhat knowledgeable) without the nasty right-wing
snark. Of course, I got no reply.

This is a guy who, for whatever reason, looks at the world through
****-colored glasses.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Aha. OK, I thought you meant he was stupid.

As far as resentments about Vietnam, I would assume that his only
resentment about that is how all his buddies got to go there and left
him behind.

'Dunno what it really was, but it was something to do with not feeling he
got proper appreciation, I think.

In another thread, I actually asked Gunner if it would be possible for
him to post a reply to someone about a metalworking topic (a subject
in which he is somewhat knowledgeable) without the nasty right-wing
snark. Of course, I got no reply.

Wrong approach. Ask him about good powders to use for .50 Desert Eagle
handloads.

This is a guy who, for whatever reason, looks at the world through
****-colored glasses.

He sort of set the stage by his early days on Usenet, when he used to troll
around in all the k00k joints. That's where he learned many of his obnoxious
insults. It's his way of pumping himself up by putting other people down.

Some of those threads were beauts.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Oh, I remember some of them. I've been around here since WAY before it
was popular (and now I'm still on usenet way AFTER it was popular).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:46:53 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Your opinion on that can be boiled down to this: gummy is a sometimes
intelligent person who makes a lot of unintelligent decisions. That's
a distinction without a difference.

I've watched him think through some things on this
NG, and he shows evidence of having a very capable mind...

How does a capable mind jump to so many nutty conclusions? Beyond his
irrational shtick, he frequently demonstrates a total lack of critical
thinking. One of my favorites was him asking if it was normal to go
through several large bottles of shielding gas during something like
an hour of welding. He needed to be told to get out the soapy water.

which makes some
things he says even more annoying.

He is given to telling tall tales. My favorite is the one about encountering
some gang-bangers on a shooting range somewhere out in the sticks, and
showing them how to shoot. The gang-bangers had brought their own handguns,
BTW, but just walked away, sheepishly, after watching the maestro at work.
That one's a classic. g

I'm not sure that he'll ever top his recent claim that he had health
insurance up until last October. While it doesn't have the flash of
some of his more colorful whoppers, it says everything about how
whacked he has to be to think that readers might be stupid enough to
believe him. One would think that he'd use that high IQ snorf to
prevent contradicting himself, by keeping track of his BS with a
spreadsheet or something. Of course, that would assume that he can
even tell the difference between reality and his fantasies.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:46:53 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Wishful thinking, driven by resentments, and fed by selective reading of
right-wing propaganda. In other words, he's full of it. d8-)

[...]

I didn't read about the health insurance. I read maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of his
messages, except for the ones posted to a thread I happen to be reading or
posting to myself.

Wayne, Usenet has become a sewer. Most of the posts that show up even here
are disgusting, ignorant, and insulting. Gunner has just found the
environment to be particularly to his liking.

I don't think that his objective, or that of many people here, is to
"discuss" the big issues they get involved in. Their objective is to
antagonize. He's even said how much joy it gives him to **** people off.

So trying to be logical about it is a wasted exercise. As I said to Ranger,
I'm just here these days for the writing practice, and for those few, rare
instances where an intelligent discussion is going on.

I'm not going to get into the question of why these people do it. So, let
him frustrate you or not. If he fires at me, I'll fire back. Otherwise, *I*
know he's full of ****; I'm sure most people do; and you could waste your
life pointing it out.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 6, 3:01*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:46:53 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

But, there's no rule that says that he, or anyone else, can't be both
intelligent and nuts. While I suspect that Gunner is a bit
intelligent, he has demonstrated over and over again that he has the
capability to act pretty nutty.

I surely wouldn't waste any time getting ****ed off at him. It's like
asking water to not be wet. However, as you have said in the past, it
makes for good writing exercise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:46:53 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Besides, there are more important things going on. The Tigers and Twins are
in the 12th inning, eating up their bullpens and wearing each other out, and
one of them has to be in New York to face the Yankees tomorrow night.

THAT's important. And it's making me smile. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:39:30 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

But, there's no rule that says that he, or anyone else, can't be both
intelligent and nuts. While I suspect that Gunner is a bit
intelligent, he has demonstrated over and over again that he has the
capability to act pretty nutty.

I surely wouldn't waste any time getting ****ed off at him. It's like
asking water to not be wet. However, as you have said in the past, it
makes for good writing exercise.

Besides, there are more important things going on. The Tigers and Twins are
in the 12th inning, eating up their bullpens and wearing each other out, and
one of them has to be in New York to face the Yankees tomorrow night.

THAT's important. And it's making me smile. d8-)

Twins 6 Tigers 5, how 'bout them Twins, then!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

But, there's no rule that says that he, or anyone else, can't be both
intelligent and nuts. While I suspect that Gunner is a bit
intelligent, he has demonstrated over and over again that he has the
capability to act pretty nutty.

I surely wouldn't waste any time getting ****ed off at him. It's like
asking water to not be wet. However, as you have said in the past, it
makes for good writing exercise.

Besides, there are more important things going on. The Tigers and Twins
are
in the 12th inning, eating up their bullpens and wearing each other out,
and
one of them has to be in New York to face the Yankees tomorrow night.

THAT's important. And it's making me smile. d8-)

Twins 6 Tigers 5, how 'bout them Twins, then!

That was one GREAT game. One of the best of the season.

Now we'll see if it just wore the Twins out, or if it fired them up. Go
Yanks! g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

But, there's no rule that says that he, or anyone else, can't be both
intelligent and nuts. While I suspect that Gunner is a bit
intelligent, he has demonstrated over and over again that he has the
capability to act pretty nutty.

"Nuts" is far from objective, ye savant of laws, definitions, rules,
cites, statistics and rigor forged by relentless undergraduate
professors at MSU. g

That wasn't me you're quoting. Watch the attributions, please.

Possession of intelligence does not guarantee unfailing exercise of it
any more than physical strength precludes sloth. You yourself have
occasionally indulged in bickerbanter far beneath your intellectual
capacity for reasoned debate.

Again, please note who you're quoting.

There may be some difference between intelligent gent and crafty
******* but I think the difference is more intent than capacity.

If we believe Gunner's legend, he is or was a warrior. Some believe
it, some don't, pick yer pony. In any case, Gunner isn't the only
show in town though he has high visibility on USENET.

We celebrate and value our defender warriors when we need them,
disdain them for who and how they are when we think we don't need or
want warriors at the moment. The treatment of the populace for
returning grunts from 'Nam was absolutely disgraceful, as is the way
our VA disdains vets by ignoring promises made years ago.

Some warriors our government trains and then sends into combat have
difficulty changing attitude after action. Go figure! Some are
unable to adjust without help that is nominally available but isn't
really, while our attitude toward them is as evanescent and fickle as
the political tides. If they manage to avoid getting wasted in
combat, we waste them afterwards if they fail to meet our country club
expectations of attitude and behavior.

None of my annoyance with Gunner has anything to do with his service in
Vietnam. Years ago, when I first came here, I wouldn't have dreamed of
getting into these mudfights with him or anyone else. It just isn't my
style.

But some months of taking abuse for my political views and attitudes, and
facing his smug dismissiveness, I eventually decided he was going to get
some of that back. I'm not a doormat.

To me, Gunner is a cautionary tale. He essentially threw away the gifts he
was given. Normally I'm sympathetic to hard-working people who just screwed
up, but not when they blame others, and turn on them, to salve their own
frustration. And not when they screw up over, and over, and over again.
Repetitive screw-ups occur when someone has no discipline, and a deep-seated
thread of irresponsibility. Now, the only thing he has left to pump up his
self-image is endless put-downs of other people.

The way I was brought up, I was taught that smug put-downs of others, as
compensation for one's own failings, is a characteristic of white trash. He
works hard, but it's a series of wind-sprints; when the time comes to make
disciplined decisions, he reverts to type. That's how people wind up
cornered in life. I find it appropriate that he lives in a trailer. I
wouldn't have wished it on him, but he has none of my sympathy, either. Only
a liberal could have sympathy for Gunner in his plight. d8-)

Again, please note the attributions. Those weren't my words you quoted.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Besides, there are more important things going on. The Tigers and Twins are
in the 12th inning

Here's the most important sports-related thing I can remember being
concerned about in my adult lifetime - I recently spent a half-hour
downloading, installing, and tweaking an add-on to my HTPC that allows
me to banish every last trace of sports items (as well as some others)
from MCs menu. I'm pretty sure that I came out ahead in the deal. :-)
Which reminds me... when younger folks ask me for advice about getting
ahead, one of the things I tell them is to take the time they spend on
things like watching and talking about other people playing games, and
use it to do their own oil changes, cut their own hair, change their
own faucet washers, etc. Of course, I might as well be telling them to
build a spaceship. G I think that most people could retire
considerably earlier and better if they put off their worst time or
money wasting habits until they could truly afford them. Now, I know
somebody's going to say that life isn't worth living without "x", but
that's a crock. We've gotten to the point where people are essentially
borrowing away their future for crap like bottled water and HBO and
bling wagon wheels on their over-priced cars. Oh wait, what were we
talking about again? Never mind. :-)

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:37:38 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

But, there's no rule that says that he, or anyone else, can't be both
intelligent and nuts. While I suspect that Gunner is a bit
intelligent, he has demonstrated over and over again that he has the
capability to act pretty nutty.

I surely wouldn't waste any time getting ****ed off at him. It's like
asking water to not be wet. However, as you have said in the past, it
makes for good writing exercise.

Besides, there are more important things going on. The Tigers and Twins are
in the 12th inning, eating up their bullpens and wearing each other out, and
one of them has to be in New York to face the Yankees tomorrow night.

THAT's important. And it's making me smile. d8-)

Twins 6 Tigers 5, how 'bout them Twins, then!

Was that a question?

In the immortal words of Chico Escuela, "Beisboll be berry berry
boring to me."

--
Reading well is one of the great pleasures that solitude can afford you.
-- Harold Bloom, O Magazine, April 2003
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Phfffft. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 6, 9:39*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Oct 6, 3:01 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:46:53 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

American League = bull**** designated hitter. Who cares? It's not
even real baseball.
Besides, it's hockey season.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 9:39 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Oct 6, 3:01 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:46:53 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

You would have gotten along with my father-in-law. He watched Cubs games. I
can't stand to watch pitchers pretend to swing a bat. It's disgraceful and
humiliating. d8-)

Besides, it's hockey season.

That's too bad. All of those thugs will have an excuse to commit assault and
battery for an entire winter and spring, and to get paid for it. I intend to
let my TV hibernate through the whole thing. g

--
Ed Huntress

FLAG CASE J T Woodworking 0 September 26th 07 06:06 PM
Two Flag Patterns amdx Electronic Schematics 0 June 13th 07 05:57 PM
flag boxes... [email protected] Woodworking 0 October 10th 06 04:28 AM
US flag on your roof [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 16th 06 10:26 PM
Flag box Rob V Woodworking 1 December 17th 04 01:59 AM