Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PING: Robert Dee

--Found him via lengthy web search for a specific type of
tachometer, but his website is a little crude and contact/payment methods
lacking in substance. Anyone know if he's got a phone number at least??
Object of interest: http://dsgnspec.0catch.com/Tachjr.html
--Looks perfect for steam engines!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

Ed,

You may want to look at the work of one of our own:

Trexon.com

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
You may want to look at the work of one of our own:
Trexon.com

--Went there but couldn't find anything relevant. I'm looking for a
low-speed tachometer with a Hall effect sensor.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18 Sep 2009 17:16:51 GMT, steamer
wrote:

axolotl wrote:
You may want to look at the work of one of our own:
Trexon.com

--Went there but couldn't find anything relevant. I'm looking for a
low-speed tachometer with a Hall effect sensor.

Let us know if you find something cheap. I've been looking
for something like this to use on my lawnmower. Already have
a big ole magnet spinning around on the flywheel, just need
something to read it cheaply.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Well I've started buying parts for Plan B, which is described
he http://www.floridaame.org/Plans/Kamr...achometer.html
--Won't get parts together until after the steamboat meet but I'm
buying enough to build a few. I've got a pile of Stamps so that part is
easy..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

--Went there but couldn't find anything relevant. I'm looking for a
low-speed tachometer with a Hall effect sensor.

Let us know if you find something cheap. I've been looking
for something like this to use on my lawnmower. Already have
a big ole magnet spinning around on the flywheel, just need
something to read it cheaply.

You gave me a thought. My Fluke 117 reads frequency. I wonder if a wrap or two around
the spark plug wire would be enough for it to register?

Currently my meter is at work and I'm waiting for a blade adaptor since mine is cracked or
I'd be telling you how it worked out.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

well, for whomever originally wanted some thing - it just dawned on me that
I have the "speedometer" pulled off of an exercise bicycle that is exactly
what you want - still works

if you want it ping me off the list (get my email form my web page,
www.wbnoble.com )

oh, and I wouldn't put the fluke's input near the HT plug wire - that's a
good way to turn your fluke into a brick

"Wes" wrote in message
news
Leon Fisk wrote:

--Went there but couldn't find anything relevant. I'm looking for a
low-speed tachometer with a Hall effect sensor.

Let us know if you find something cheap. I've been looking
for something like this to use on my lawnmower. Already have
a big ole magnet spinning around on the flywheel, just need
something to read it cheaply.

You gave me a thought. My Fluke 117 reads frequency. I wonder if a wrap
or two around
the spark plug wire would be enough for it to register?

Currently my meter is at work and I'm waiting for a blade adaptor since
mine is cracked or
I'd be telling you how it worked out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote:

oh, and I wouldn't put the fluke's input near the HT plug wire - that's a
good way to turn your fluke into a brick

I was thinking of using a shunt resistor.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:24:03 -0400, Wes
wrote:

snip
You gave me a thought. My Fluke 117 reads frequency. I wonder if a wrap or two around
the spark plug wire would be enough for it to register?

Currently my meter is at work and I'm waiting for a blade adaptor since mine is cracked or
I'd be telling you how it worked out.

Wes

My Fluke can read frequency too, but at ~$300 it ain't the
cheapest way to go. Would probably work okay for testing and
such though. Just hook on to the alternator output and
divide the measurement appropriately.

I want something cheap to display the RPM while mowing. I've
got horsepower plus, only need to run it fast enough to get
a decent cut. Even at maybe 3/4 throttle I can't hear the
motor hesitate a bit in the deepest grass going full out. If
I could see the RPM it would be a lot easier to duplicate
the sweet spot where it cuts good enough for me.

For ~$40 you can get one of these:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/hour_meter.cfm

Which is about the easiest and cheapest solution I've seen.
May eventually get one, was hoping to pay even less though.
Already have an hour meter, really just want the tach.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Sep 2009 18:32:25 GMT, steamer
wrote:

--Well I've started buying parts for Plan B, which is described
he http://www.floridaame.org/Plans/Kamr...achometer.html
--Won't get parts together until after the steamboat meet but I'm
buying enough to build a few. I've got a pile of Stamps so that part is
easy..

Have you seen this Tachometer Kit?

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...as/vek2625.htm

"Digital Tachometer Kit -- This tachometer can be adapted to
any gasoline car or motorcycle engine. It differs from
conventional tachometers, the analog hand is replaced with
two seven segment led's. Only one simple and single
adjustment is needed to calibrate the circuit for full
linear scale. The brightness of the LED's is also
adjustable

Specifications:
Main Board: L: 3-1/8" W: 2-3/8" H: 3/4"
Display Board: L: 2-1/8" W: 1-3/4" H: 3/4"
Face Plate: L: 3-5/8" W: 2-3/4" H: Thin
Requires 10-15VDC @ 200mA power supply.
(Need a Power Supply?)
Range 100 to 9900 RPM (resolution 100 rpm)
Displays in 100's or 1000's of RPM
1/2 " Seven Segment LED display.
Easy Calibration.
PVC Front Plate Included.

VEK2625 - Digital Tachometer Kit - $42.95"

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:39:27 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:24:03 -0400, Wes
wrote:

snip
[...]

Google on "tinytach" they make a small tachometer for gasoline or
diesel engines. I have a couple and they work as advertized. I believe
that the gasoline model is $39.00