Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - question about B&S OHV engine

A B&S 11hp OHV engine followed me home from the dump (it looked so new
that I just couldn't not bring it home).

It wouldn't turn over (BAD sign), but there was no sound of a rod
flopping around (good sign). I took out the spark plug and oil *poured*
out! Took off the carb float bowl & it was full of oil! Looking better
- this is probably minor, operator error, even.

The fuel line goes through this device:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/B&Spart.jpg
& there is also a hose into it from the oil fill tube. This other hose
is connected to the oil fill tube well above the normal oil level.
There is a separate PCV valve with a hose into the carb, as is usual
with B&S engines. So what does this mystery device do? And could it
provide a path for oil into the carb?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's a _fuel pump_. It must use crank case pressure pulses to work a
diaphragm. Gentle pressure on the input didn't cause any air out of the
fuel ports, so the diaphragm is probably not ruptured. And the mystery
of oil in the float bowl is not any closer to being solved sigh.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
It's a _fuel pump_. It must use crank case pressure pulses to work a
diaphragm. Gentle pressure on the input didn't cause any air out of the
fuel ports, so the diaphragm is probably not ruptured. And the mystery of
oil in the float bowl is not any closer to being solved sigh.

Bob

Oil in the float bowl and everywhere else sounds like somebody (over)pickled
the engine for long-term storage. If it was a '67 MG engine, I'd tell you to
look at the EGR valve. They tended to convert themselves into oil pumps that
fed into the intake manifold. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
It's a _fuel pump_. It must use crank case pressure pulses to work a
diaphragm. Gentle pressure on the input didn't cause any air out of the
fuel ports, so the diaphragm is probably not ruptured. And the mystery
of oil in the float bowl is not any closer to being solved sigh.

Bob

Oil in the float bowl and everywhere else sounds like somebody
(over)pickled the engine for long-term storage. If it was a '67 MG engine,
I'd tell you to look at the EGR valve. They tended to convert themselves
into oil pumps that fed into the intake manifold. g

--
Ed Huntress

Correction, that was the positive crankcase ventilator, not the EGR. '67s
didn't have EGRs.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 9:21*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
A B&S 11hp OHV engine followed me home from the dump (it looked so new
that I just couldn't not bring it home).

It wouldn't turn over (BAD sign), but there was no sound of a rod
flopping around (good sign). *I took out the spark plug and oil *poured*
out! *Took off the carb float bowl & it was full of oil! *Looking better
- this is probably minor, operator error, even.

The fuel line goes through this device:http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/B&Spart.jpg
& there is also a hose into it from the oil fill tube. *This other hose
is connected to the oil fill tube well above the normal oil level.
There is a separate PCV valve with a hose into the carb, as is usual
with B&S engines. *So what does this mystery device do? *And could it
provide a path for oil into the carb?

Thanks,
Bob

For the sake of saving space in my shed, I made the mistake of hanging
my Honda lawnmower on the shed wall for the winter so that the
normally vertical engine was horizontal. The carb flooded with oil.
After cleaning and reassembly, it ran fine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:
For the sake of saving space in my shed, I made the mistake of hanging
my Honda lawnmower on the shed wall for the winter so that the
normally vertical engine was horizontal. The carb flooded with oil.
After cleaning and reassembly, it ran fine

I've had that happen too. The oil comes through the PCV valve & hose,
into the carb. What a mess.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't what happened to this engine though. First,
the PCV hose didn't have oil in it & second, the carb float bowl had oil
in it & that wouldn't happen if the oil came from the PCV valve (it
would have to flow down the main jet & I don't think that it would do that).

Anyhow, it's cleaned up & running now. But still a Mystery.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:58:16 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Denis G. wrote:
For the sake of saving space in my shed, I made the mistake of hanging
my Honda lawnmower on the shed wall for the winter so that the
normally vertical engine was horizontal. The carb flooded with oil.
After cleaning and reassembly, it ran fine

I've had that happen too. The oil comes through the PCV valve & hose,
into the carb. What a mess.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't what happened to this engine though. First,
the PCV hose didn't have oil in it & second, the carb float bowl had oil
in it & that wouldn't happen if the oil came from the PCV valve (it
would have to flow down the main jet & I don't think that it would do that).

Anyhow, it's cleaned up & running now. But still a Mystery.

Bob

Perhaps someone tried to run it with an old old can of 2 cycle oil
premixed and the gas had evaporated?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
Perhaps someone tried to run it with an old old can of 2 cycle oil
premixed and the gas had evaporated?

I don't think so - there was a couple of ounces of pure oil in the
cylinder. And the gas in its tank was OK.

Maybe it *was* through the PCV valve. Maybe the machine rolled onto its
side, with the engine running. Oil was pushed through the PCV valve by
crankcase pressure & carb vac & drawn in the cylinder. The oil in the
float bowl did have some gas mixed in (i.e., it wasn't as pure oil as in
the cylinder), so maybe it had come through the main jet. This is
sounding like the most plausible scenario.

It's running great now. Since it was just the engine at the dump & not
the whole "mower", the owner probably bought a new engine for $500 or
more. Sucker.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 05:55:20 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

[...]

I winter my mowers under the picnic table (canoe on top) after running
them dry. In spring, if they don't start after two pulls, I do nasty
things like replacing the diaphragm. Of course, I have never paid more
than $15 for a mower, most are free.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Denis G. wrote:
For the sake of saving space in my shed, I made the mistake of hanging
my Honda lawnmower on the shed wall for the winter so that the
normally vertical engine was horizontal. The carb flooded with oil.
After cleaning and reassembly, it ran fine

I've had that happen too. The oil comes through the PCV valve & hose,
into the carb. What a mess.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't what happened to this engine though. First,
the PCV hose didn't have oil in it & second, the carb float bowl had oil
in it & that wouldn't happen if the oil came from the PCV valve (it
would have to flow down the main jet & I don't think that it would do that).

Anyhow, it's cleaned up & running now. But still a Mystery.

Bob

19 years ago, I bought a mower for $5, brought it home, dumped the
water out of the gas tank, filled it with gas and it started on the
second pull. I gave it away this summer to a friend of my DiL , I
figured I had got my money's worth of fun out of it and her riding
mower wouldn't fit through the ate of her new home!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

It wouldn't turn over (BAD sign), but there was no sound of a rod
flopping around (good sign). I took out the spark plug and oil *poured*
out! Took off the carb float bowl & it was full of oil! Looking better
- this is probably minor, operator error, even.

My mom, who didn't know any better, filled her lawnmower to the top of the filler neck.
There was oil everywhere.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller