Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - question about B&S OHV engine

A B&S 11hp OHV engine followed me home from the dump (it looked so new
that I just couldn't not bring it home).

It wouldn't turn over (BAD sign), but there was no sound of a rod
flopping around (good sign). I took out the spark plug and oil *poured*
out! Took off the carb float bowl & it was full of oil! Looking better
- this is probably minor, operator error, even.

The fuel line goes through this device:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/B&Spart.jpg
& there is also a hose into it from the oil fill tube. This other hose
is connected to the oil fill tube well above the normal oil level.
There is a separate PCV valve with a hose into the carb, as is usual
with B&S engines. So what does this mystery device do? And could it
provide a path for oil into the carb?

Thanks,
Bob