Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default OT - question about B&S OHV engine

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 05:55:20 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Aug 30, 9:21*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
A B&S 11hp OHV engine followed me home from the dump (it looked so new
that I just couldn't not bring it home).

It wouldn't turn over (BAD sign), but there was no sound of a rod
flopping around (good sign). *I took out the spark plug and oil *poured*
out! *Took off the carb float bowl & it was full of oil! *Looking better
- this is probably minor, operator error, even.

The fuel line goes through this device:http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/B&Spart.jpg
& there is also a hose into it from the oil fill tube. *This other hose
is connected to the oil fill tube well above the normal oil level.
There is a separate PCV valve with a hose into the carb, as is usual
with B&S engines. *So what does this mystery device do? *And could it
provide a path for oil into the carb?

Thanks,
Bob

For the sake of saving space in my shed, I made the mistake of hanging
my Honda lawnmower on the shed wall for the winter so that the
normally vertical engine was horizontal. The carb flooded with oil.
After cleaning and reassembly, it ran fine

I winter my mowers under the picnic table (canoe on top) after running
them dry. In spring, if they don't start after two pulls, I do nasty
things like replacing the diaphragm. Of course, I have never paid more
than $15 for a mower, most are free.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada