Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of the Wells-Index mill

This is a much more substantial mill than I imagined. I brought it
home this morning (was an easy 7 mile ride) and will install an
electronic drive tomorrow.

It also has a variable speed drive mechanism.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/wells-index-747/

This mill is actually better than my 1 HP step pulley Bridgeport, but
swapping a mill is too much trouble, plus the Bridgeport already has a
DRO.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This mill is actually better than my 1 HP step pulley Bridgeport, but
swapping a mill is too much trouble, plus the Bridgeport already has

I'd re think this statement. Move the DRO, should only take an afternoon.

The fact is your wimpy Bridgy will sell faster and and a higher price. Keep
in mind your main customer is totally new to machining and is going to buy
something they've heard of.

Then you're stuck with a better machine - big problem.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-29, Karl Townsend wrote:

This mill is actually better than my 1 HP step pulley Bridgeport, but
swapping a mill is too much trouble, plus the Bridgeport already has

I'd re think this statement. Move the DRO, should only take an afternoon.

The fact is your wimpy Bridgy will sell faster and and a higher price. Keep
in mind your main customer is totally new to machining and is going to buy
something they've heard of.

Then you're stuck with a better machine - big problem.

Karl, I am very tempted. But I do not know how to get this mill off my
trailer, and just swapping the mills is two days of backbreaking
work. I need to move a few things to get the BP out. DRO is at least a
whole full day, if not more. The table on the Wells-Index mill is
longer, so I need a new sensor. My spouse will be very unhappy. But
thoughts about doing this are not going away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-29, Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Buy yourself a forklift. Then your better half will be mad about that, not
the mill. After everything is moved, let her win and return the forktruck.
Now all you need is somebody to "loan" you a forktruck a few days. Of
course, if this don't work out, I knew nothing about it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 06:27:43 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl, I am very tempted. But I do not know how to get this mill off my
trailer, and just swapping the mills is two days of backbreaking
work. I need to move a few things to get the BP out. DRO is at least a
whole full day, if not more. The table on the Wells-Index mill is
longer, so I need a new sensor. My spouse will be very unhappy. But
thoughts about doing this are not going away.

Buy yourself a forklift. Then your better half will be mad about that, not
the mill. After everything is moved, let her win and return the forktruck.
Now all you need is somebody to "loan" you a forktruck a few days. Of
course, if this don't work out, I knew nothing about it.

You've done this before.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

yourself a forklift. Then your better half will be mad about that, not
the mill. After everything is moved, let her win and return the
forktruck.
Now all you need is somebody to "loan" you a forktruck a few days. Of
course, if this don't work out, I knew nothing about it.

You've done this before.

My better 1/2 wised up. Now, there's a simple rule: You get a toy, I get a
toy. We're each free to choose what. So, my $3K plasma cutter acutally cost
$6K.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17616 wrote:

This is a much more substantial mill than I imagined. I brought it
home this morning (was an easy 7 mile ride) and will install an
electronic drive tomorrow.

It also has a variable speed drive mechanism.

I can't gage the size of the thing but only you know your needs. We have a few
bridgeports where I work. One is a bit of a monster, it has box ways on the column and a
much wider and longer table. The knee takes twice as many turns to raise it which gets to
be a pita. With the longer table, I have to move from one handle to the other for x and
y. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice machine but for little stuff I tend to work on, I use
the smaller bridgeport every time.

It is sorta like lathes. I really have no use for a lathe that can turn 22" between 10'
centers. My 14x30 is just fine for me. Well, maybe 14x36 would be a bit nicer

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-30, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus17616 wrote:

This is a much more substantial mill than I imagined. I brought it
home this morning (was an easy 7 mile ride) and will install an
electronic drive tomorrow.

It also has a variable speed drive mechanism.

I can't gage the size of the thing but only you know your needs. We have a few
bridgeports where I work. One is a bit of a monster, it has box ways on the column and a
much wider and longer table. The knee takes twice as many turns to raise it which gets to
be a pita. With the longer table, I have to move from one handle to the other for x and
y. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice machine but for little stuff I tend to work on, I use
the smaller bridgeport every time.

It is sorta like lathes. I really have no use for a lathe that can turn 22" between 10'
centers. My 14x30 is just fine for me. Well, maybe 14x36 would be a bit nicer

My BP is the most frequently used machine by far, compared to any
other one that I own. Most of the work I do is light duty stuff
related to machinery repair.

As for that big BP (is that a Series I or II?), see if the owner would
consider a power feed on the knee. It would be a real
improvement. Times are tough, and all, but that power feed is a real
effort saver, I got to tell you.

I would also have no need for a bigger lathe, as well.

FS -- Wells-Index 747 mill, Chicagoland Ignoramus30151 Metalworking 15 August 30th 09 02:33 AM
Abene Mill pictures Gunner Asch[_2_] Metalworking 24 October 2nd 07 06:21 PM
Index brand mill Jeff Metalworking 5 January 26th 06 06:20 AM
Index Mill Question jdk Metalworking 2 October 11th 05 03:02 AM
moving wells index mill with forklift [email protected] Metalworking 25 February 4th 05 05:55 AM